4000 sqare ft of free overgrown junipers. Advice needed

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello Nuts,

I found a nursery a few days back that has a parcel of about 4000 square feet of junipers (Juniperus Communis) that they want to get rid of. They were planted as landscape material and have been neglected for more than ten years... rendering them unsaleable. Basically they are willing to give them away for free but they have to be gone by next spring. About 500 feet of them were chopped last year and I had to get them out of the ground yesterday because they needed the plot for new plantings. Tried to take as much root as possible, hoping they'll make it.
The rest are full height, about 6-8 ft with 3-10" trunks and I have about a year from now to figure out what to do if I want them. You can see them in the top left corner of the picture.
What do you guys think? How should I go about this to maximize the chances of survival for those that I do want to dig up by next year?
Given the price of juniper material it would be a waste to leave them for the wood-chipper. Plus... lifetime supply of learning material :). Some of them have really cool trunks 20170504_152720.jpg

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Or you could do this: dig them out (at least those with interesting trunks), put them into cheap plastic containers (nurseries usually have lots of them laying around so you might get them for free and they even may be able to provide you some space to put them) for a year or two and start selling them as raw material. Not much initial investment required, just requires some time...

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lil flimsy.

I'd look for some UV safe cheap BULK container.

That and 2 truckloads of pumice!

Sorce
That's going to be a problem :). The ones removed yesterday were left in their original soil and put in some plastic 'pots' we managed to get out hands on yesterday at 10PM... not a good time to look for potting supplies. If we're to remove anymore we should see about getting some better substrate for them.

The question is... when should we trunk chop the rest if we're to collect next spring?

@R3x dude... there's enough trees for a small army of bonsai nuts :). Take a Cluj holiday :D

Attachments

• 20170504_225835.jpg
    20170504_225835.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 42

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't worry about the trunk chops at this point.

Work the roots now for next spring.

Trench around the trees two feet out and two feet down, backfill with bonsai soil, or a similar porous substrate.

Trunk chops should wait, you want all that top growth to push a new more compact root system that's more easily collected and gives the tree a fighting chance once you dig it up.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
That's going to be a problem :). The ones removed yesterday were left in their original soil and put in some plastic 'pots' we managed to get out hands on yesterday at 10PM... not a good time to look for potting supplies. If we're to remove anymore we should see about getting some better substrate for them.

The question is... when should we trunk chop the rest if we're to collect next spring?

@R3x dude... there's enough trees for a small army of bonsai nuts :). Take a Cluj holiday :D

For this enterprise you can leave them in their original soil - minimize the investment. In my opinion you can chop any time you want while they're still in the ground but sooner the better: better chance for new growth and recovery.

I will think about that holiday. But recently I found quite a large space with (at least 100 square meters) old (at least 20-30 years) junipers (not communis) by the old factory and garages that seem to be abandoned and probably will be demolished soon. There is a road directly besides that. So my plan is this: I am awaiting my order of Radius Garden Root Slayer Shovel (this is not supposed to be an advertisement but it seems to be great tool for yamadori) to arrive any day. Will go there and check the junipers for pear rust (I have it on 2 other that I collected from old cement containers). If not present I will slowly start digging some out. Should be fun.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
I wouldn't worry about the trunk chops at this point.

Work the roots now for next spring.

Trench around the trees two feet out and two feet down, backfill with bonsai soil, or a similar porous substrate.

Trunk chops should wait, you want all that top growth to push a new more compact root system that's more easily collected and gives the tree a fighting chance once you dig it up.
That's a good advice in my opinion. Wouldn't bother with bonsai soil backfill - it would be enough to shorten the roots so they push new more compact roots.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a good advice in my opinion. Wouldn't bother with bonsai soil backfill - it would be enough to shorten the roots so they push new more compact roots.
Yup. Just chuck a spade trough the upper roots, maybe 1/2 - 1 foot out from the trunk, all around. That will force new roots. No need to trench I would say. U would not expect the roots to graft themselves onto the plant again.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Looks like a lot of work. Looks like good standard nursery material, not so much bonsai material.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The trees you show in your photo are not common Juniper as in the species Juniperus Communis. You look like you are dealing with a mixed variety. You will most likely not be able to save all of them so you should be selective. Stay away from the ones that are growing up in a spear into the sky and the yellow ones. Neither of these species are going to make good bonsai. Other than that your photos have not been too specific so it's hard to suggest anything.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mihai,
Are you required to remove ALL of the juniper as part of this deal? If not, then I would concentrate on the ones with interesting bases, and maybe even cut down competing bushes.

If you HAVE to remove all of them, that is a whole lot of digging and you'll need help I'm guessing. Do they have tool rental places nearby? Maybe rent a little backhoe for the dig-out next spring and work your way into the field.

This is going to be interesting no matter how you proceed, so be sure to send us updates.

Good luck!
CW

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
R3x, that is a nasty looking shovel. Let us know how well it works.
CW
I've actually found out about it on these forums - someone posted a pitcure and a name of it in a thread. Caught my attaention. As I previously broke few wooden handles on shovel as well as destroyed a metal part on one I started to think: this could be the yamadori tool I have always needed. It arrived on Friday but I haven't had time to unpack it and try it. Will let you know. Here's the picture for those who haven't clicked the link:
61LwGSR4bCL._SL1500.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Perfect for bonsai and home defense. If I was still in the physical condition where I could contemplate realistically collecting I would spring on this like a skunk on a June bug.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I've actually found out about it on these forums - someone posted a pitcure and a name of it in a thread. Caught my attaention. As I previously broke few wooden handles on shovel as well as destroyed a metal part on one I started to think: this could be the yamadori tool I have always needed. It arrived on Friday but I haven't had time to unpack it and try it. Will let you know. Here's the picture for those who haven't clicked the link:

'Root Slayer' I do believe I'm in love...

Top Bottom