450 Miles, 8 hours driving, just to buy two bags akadama!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had a great day enjoying bonsai, catching up with old bonsai friends, and shopping in the vendor room. I controlled myself pretty well though; only bought some wire and a pot from JIm Gremel and some accent plants from Lone Pine.

Damn, did you say accent plants. How about some inspiration?

Attachments

• DSC_01560156.JPG
    DSC_01560156.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_01610161.JPG
    DSC_01610161.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_01590159.JPG
    DSC_01590159.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_01820182.JPG
    DSC_01820182.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_01630163.JPG
    DSC_01630163.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 39

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many more pictures at the blog later. 250 pictures in all.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your blog. I always really enjoy when you post on it. I have it loaded on a blog reader so I never miss anything.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your blog. I always really enjoy when you post on it. I have it loaded on a blog reader so I never miss anything.

Sorry I havn't been to active lately. Been so hot here that everything is just growing waiting for a cool down so I can work a little. The main reason I went so far was so I would have some stuff to post there. And I have to update the scroll section since I have about 500 more signatures to put there.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
appreciate the photos. I would be happy to drive that far to get the akadama alone, since they won't let it thru Seattle anymore and my vendor can't get. Not sure what to do this coming year.
If your pardon the expression, things here have "gone up in smoke" ! :(

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
appreciate the photos. I would be happy to drive that far to get the akadama alone, since they won't let it thru Seattle anymore and my vendor can't get. Not sure what to do this coming year.
If your pardon the expression, things here have "gone up in smoke" ! :(

It's there..... you just gotta find it. Find Scott Elsor and ask who is bringing it in and get in on the pallet.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If your serious about getting some find someone who has it hire a freight company To go pick it up and then deliver to you. Freight company's will do anything you want.

fore

Omono
Reaction score

Google shut down their reader jkd, what reader are you using? I miss this feature a lot.

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for making the trip up from Fresno to attend our show and the great photos

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Many more pictures at the blog later. 250 pictures in all.

Thanks for sharing the awesome pics of both trees and accent plants on your blog. There were some really unique and beautiful accents, something that I never paid much attention to in the past because I was always focused on the tree. Guess I need to pay more attention because some of those accents were nicer than some of my trees.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I go to the rebs show almost every year and am always inspired to come home and make accent plantings. The ones there are the best. And most of them belong to the wife of the guy with one of the best collections of trees. The accent plant pots seen there are amazing. Year before last there was even a tomato plant accent, with fruit!
rebs 2011 026.jpg

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
recently there was some talk of a juniper that had some potential. Have not seen all the trunk or its branch structure, but there was some talk of the thing being in the price range of at least 3 to 5 thousand dollars and up to 10 to 15 thousand.

I don't know, before I spent 10 thou on a rug juniper I might spend some of that money on a trip ouit west and see what I could scrape up for a better price, cause there are better prices out here. Here are some pictures around the vendor room and what could be had for what, just in case some may dispute my opinion sometimes.

Here are a good group of some sierra junipers for sale. All these had some great trunks, though some were clunky, but the foliage was healthy and work could start soon.

You were right.. I am living on the wrong coast. Do you happen to know the price ranges for some of these?

Rob

Last edited:

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Rob, I'm gonna venture a guess that since Jimmy Gremel had these trees in the vendor room that anything is for sale at the right price.

He always has a few twisty junipers for sale. No price, didn't ask, but around $1100.00 could probably seal the deal.

This hemlock has about 75 pounds of wire on it.
I'm going to guess that it will take at least 3-5 X that amount to pry that tree from him. That tree will be on exhibit at GSBF show in Burbank this Halloween. My guess is he had it there prepping it for the show in his spare time

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not the tree your talking about, the smaller twisty tree....I think in the second picture of that group with the hemlock.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Youy were right.. I am living on the wrong coast. Do you happen to know the price ranges for some of these?

Rob

Which one? Most I showed the price tag or the price was written on the can.

Can you make out this one?

Attachments

• DSC_00410041.JPG
    DSC_00410041.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 55

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't even start my truck for $500.00.

Top Bottom