48" Staked upright procumbens nana junipers

forsyth

Seedling
Reaction score
Staked upright Procumbens Nana junipers are 4 feet tall (48") with curved branches radiating in all directions. Short needles with blue green foliage and dark rugged trunk makes it ideal for informal upright, cascade and semi-cascading bonsai styles. This is the plant most commonly associated with bonsai. The juniper is an outdoor lover and needs full sun.

check them out...
http://tenchi-bonsai.com

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Anyone familiar with this seller? The website has a startling lack of information including where they're located, shipping costs & methods, etc. A google search for the company doesn't come up with any hits either which points to a new website/company.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
the site includes a phone number.... give them a call.....

also this is the OP's first and only post.... pretty sure they are just spamming us with stuff no one wants to buy (or at least shouldn't)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
the site includes a phone number.... give them a call.....

also this is the OP's first and only post.... pretty sure they are just spamming us with stuff no one wants to buy (or at least shouldn't)

This is the kind of material you see sold to the novice. As I have mentioned in a previous post on another thread Procumbens Junipers are on the fussy side so they are not as beginner friendly as some would claim. I would like to issue a request: Does anyone know of anyone, or does anyone have an example of a Procumbens Juniper that they have developed for more than ten years? This is not a urinating contest in case someone thinks I have an ulterior motive, I am sincerely interested to see if anyone on this forum has had a long term successfully relationship with this species. I acknowledge I have had bad experiences with this tree and personally know of only one who has kept one alive for more than five years.

I would like to see pictures of this tree if you could post it.

forsyth

Seedling
Reaction score
How mean!

Gee, everyone seems so hostile here. I don't deserve that! Moderator, you allow this kind of treatment??

Ang3lfir3: pretty sure they are just spamming us with stuff no one wants to buy (or at least shouldn't

Why would you say that??? These are AWESOME for pre-bonsai or topiary. In fact the 600 I am growing now are from cuttings. I got great bonsai + cuttings from each plant. This is not "stuff no one wants to buy". I sell PLENTY.

(dpowell
Anyone familiar with this seller? The website has a startling lack of information including where they're located, shipping costs & methods, etc. A google search for the company doesn't come up with any hits either which points to a new website/company.)

Tampa
There is no shipping cost because it's included
I ship FedEx or USPS
Website is not finished and is new
Company is not

I am not new to bonsai. I have been working with bonsai since 1984. I am not spamming anyone. I am in Tampa Florida. However, the reason I got out of the business before is because of theft. This is why we don't make my address public. I would prefer to sell online if possible.

I am a licensed nursery by the State of Florida. My license number is #48010960. All of my plants are inspected as required by law.

I have trained under: Marion Borchers (Tampa) & Eric Wiegert (Ft Myers). I have also had the privilage to train under John Naka (1986). I probably have more experience than most here.

I have over 300 pro. nana's at this stage and I am growing about 600 more.

Anymore questions, please ask, don't assume and make written statements that are incorrect and mean.

JC

Last edited:

forsyth

Seedling
Reaction score
The plant you see is 3 years old already. I have some 10, 15 years old. What seems to be the problem? I couldn't get these this big if they died quickly. Spider mites are the only thing that bothers them and a little 3 in 1 fixes that. I have very little loss of procumbens. As far as novice material, DOH! Some here ARE novices my friend. There are also PLENTY of Pro nanas of great age in Japan. Look, if you don't want it, don't buy it! Lack of experience is showing. You are miss-informed my friend.

From New England Bonsai (a noted and respected bonsai company says)

"The Japanese Garden Juniper (Juniperus procumbens ‘nana’) is the most popular and recognizable bonsai in the United States, with good reason. They are rugged,
adaptable trees well-suited to bonsai culture. There are many other juniper varieties, as well. Junipers can live a very long time. There are some Juniper bonsai over
500 years old, so if you acquire a Juniper bonsai, you can look forward to many years of enjoyment".

Also lookup Procumbens bonsai in Japan.

I think I'll go elsewhere where. This forum is very hostile! I will make sure that my friends (and students) in bonsai do not go to this forum either.

JC

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Gee, everyone seems so hostile here. I don't deserve that! Moderator, you allow this kind of treatment??

Ang3lfir3: pretty sure they are just spamming us with stuff no one wants to buy (or at least shouldn't

Why would you say that??? These are AWESOME for pre-bonsai or topiary. In fact the 600 I am growing now are from cuttings. I got great bonsai + cuttings from each plant. This is not "stuff no one wants to buy". I sell PLENTY.

(dpowell
Anyone familiar with this seller? The website has a startling lack of information including where they're located, shipping costs & methods, etc. A google search for the company doesn't come up with any hits either which points to a new website/company.)

Tampa
There is no shipping cost because it's included
I ship FedEx or USPS
Website is not finished and is new
Company is not

I am not new to bonsai. I have been working with bonsai since 1984. I am not spamming anyone. I am in Tampa Florida. However, the reason I got out of the business before is because of theft. This is why we don't make my address public. I would prefer to sell online if possible.

I am a licensed nursery by the State of Florida. My license number is #48010960. All of my plants are inspected as required by law.

I have trained under: Marion Borchers (Tampa) & Eric Wiegert (Ft Myers). I have also had the privilage to train under John Naka (1986). I probably have more experience than most here.

I have over 300 pro. nana's at this stage and I am growing about 600 more.

Anymore questions, please ask, don't assume and make written statements that are incorrect and mean.

JC

I can only speak for myself; I appologize if I made an assumption about your business. To be honest you would have been better served if you had made this revelation up front instead of after people's reactions which may or may not have proven to be knee-jerk in nature. However; my anylisis of this species of tree is from my own experience in my climate zone and though I may find myself eating crow I would like to see some examples of Procumbens being grown as bonsai for more than ten years.

forsyth

Seedling
Reaction score
Your lack of experience is showing...

The plant you see is 3 years old already. I have some 10, 15 years old. What seems to be the problem? I couldn't get these this big if they died quickly. Spider mites are the only thing that bothers them and a little 3 in 1 fixes that. I have very little loss of procumbens. As far as novice material, DOH! Some here ARE novices my friend. There are also PLENTY of Pro nanas of great age in Japan. Look, if you don't want it, don't buy it! Lack of experience is showing. You are miss-informed my friend.

From New England Bonsai (a noted and respected bonsai company says)

"The Japanese Garden Juniper (Juniperus procumbens ‘nana’) is the most popular and recognizable bonsai in the United States, with good reason. They are rugged,
adaptable trees well-suited to bonsai culture. There are many other juniper varieties, as well. Junipers can live a very long time. There are some Juniper bonsai over
500 years old, so if you acquire a Juniper bonsai, you can look forward to many years of enjoyment".

Also lookup Procumbens bonsai in Japan.

I think I'll go elsewhere where. This forum is very hostile! I will make sure that my friends (and students) in bonsai do not go to this forum either.

JC

forsyth

Seedling
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself; I appologize if I made an assumption about your business. To be honest you would have been better served if you had made this revelation up front instead of after people's reactions which may or may not have proven to be knee-jerk in nature. However; my anylisis of this species of tree is from my own experience in my climate zone and though I may find myself eating crow I would like to see some examples of Procumbens being grown as bonsai for more than ten years.

Appology accepted (and my last post meant to say "lack of experience in JUNIPERS" as the heading. Sorry... I will send some pics later for your review.

forsyth

Seedling
Reaction score
Old procumbens

Procumbens Nana Bonsai (1975).jpg
Hi Vance,
This is a procumbens nana as a bonsai tree and it was started in 1975 making it over 30 years old. What I LOVE is the ease of creating a jin or shari on procumbens.

I grow procumbens mainly (other than my own collection which has some of everything). In fact, I specialize in them. What seems to be the problem with your nana's? How do they die? Maybe I can help.

Thanks,
JC

forsyth

Seedling
Reaction score
Also...Yamadori Bougainvilleas for sale

I also have 5 bougainvillea (yamadori) with AWESOME trunks for sale if anyone is interested. Here are 3. If you need better or more pics or pics of the other 2 contact me. All root pruned last year. Collected 5 years ago. bougainvilla004.jpgbougainvilla003.jpgbougainvilla001A.png

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Forsyth,

Sorry it seemed hostile but you have to realize that this forums do often get spammers and clearly we made assumptions that we shouldn't have. I personally did not think this when I saw this post but I can understand why others thought so before you got a chance to respond. Welcome to the forum and good luck on your business.

Oh and some of your stuff looks pretty good on your site, I like the 79.99 Ficus Retusa.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I also have 5 bougainvillea (yamadori) with AWESOME trunks for sale if anyone is interested. Here are 3. If you need better or more pics or pics of the other 2 contact me. All root pruned last year. Collected 5 years ago. View attachment 19032View attachment 19033View attachment 19034
^^ that is material people should buy... and want to buy... (i love my bougie)

a post like this would have been a much better one to start with. The original post had all the hallmarks of spam and when the first post on a forum is linking to your own business well that is kinda classic spam.... I can appreciate that you didn't mean for it to be spam... and that you remain to continue posting....

so looks like I was wrong... I've been wrong before... and I will be wrong again... (tho i am not wrong about that)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I would like to see some examples of Procumbens being grown as bonsai for more than ten years.

Here is a J. procumbens in the North Carolina Arboretum Collection:

Attachments

• PROCUMBE.JPG
    PROCUMBE.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 101

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Forsyth,
Thanks for posting this, you are right on time. I have been searching for a source for these to to a workshop next spring & this year I started buying one gallons & stakeing them myself. I will be in contact with you.
Not everyone here is hostile and I offer no excuses, but some have been burned and it is hard to forget that.

These are my favorite junipers for bonsai, I have some I started with back in 93 when I started learning bonsai & they only get better with age.

Vance, I will come back & post a pic of my current favorite.

Bob o

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
One of my Procumbens Nana Junipers

Forsyth,
This is my current favorite.

Vance,

I have had this juniper since 2000 from a workshop with Randy Clark in Charlotte N.C.

It was about 20 years old then so is now probbably 30 plus.

I had let it go over the past few years and decided to restyle it this past spring, this photo was taken today.

(had to resize my pic hope its OK)

Bob O

Attachments

• V2 ProNana Lit Juniper Nov11.jpg
    V2 ProNana Lit Juniper Nov11.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 124

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
View attachment 19031
Hi Vance,
This is a procumbens nana as a bonsai tree and it was started in 1975 making it over 30 years old. What I LOVE is the ease of creating a jin or shari on procumbens.

I grow procumbens mainly (other than my own collection which has some of everything). In fact, I specialize in them. What seems to be the problem with your nana's? How do they die? Maybe I can help.

Thanks,
JC

I told you I would eat crow, it's nice to see a mature Nana and that it can be done. You're in Florida, I'm in Michigan.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
forsyth,
I checked out your site a little, and I think you have some pretty decent stuff and good prices. (You should change the description on your tool set, though.) The problem with procumbens, I think, is that it has developed a stigma with the advanced hobbyist because it has been sooooo oversold in the mallsai market. The serious artists, in my opinion, steer away from them so as to not be lumped in the same category with the beginner. Is this right? Probably not as far as culture goes because I find them to be one of the easiest plants to work with (and a southern climate helps too). I have a few that were planted in the yard 10 years ago that I'm trying to talk the wife into letting me dig them up to bonsai.

Stan

forsyth

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone !!!

Hi everyone. I don’t know what to say except… Thank you for your kindness. I feel so welcome now. I’m sorry for the bad start but I just thought I was placing an ad in the “Trees for Sale” section.

Tom - Tmmason10
Sorry, I didn’t realize that spammers were crusin’ the forum. I hate talking on line because so much is lost in relation to meaning than would be if you and I were talking in person.

Ang3lfir3
Thanks for caring enough that I continue to post:). I appreciate it my friend! Bougies are GREAT!

Jkl
That nana looks great! They make great literati style trees.

Bob O
Thanks for the exciting news. I have tons of them. When you are ready, call me at 800-438-9614 and I will give you a better price than the website price. What I do with them is root cuttings in early winter, air layer the top (at least once) in the spring. It’s not hard to end up with 50 rooted plants in no time off of just one plant. Even if you just cut off the top you can still get many cuttings off each nana.

I use these in teaching students. Easy to wire and the student gets a “bonsai” (juniper) that they recognize. Also, great for advanced classes on jin & shari.

AWESOME picture Bob, GREAT job!

Vance Wood
No need to eat crow my friend. No one knows everything :). I appreciate your kindness. They should do well in Michigan though since they are native to China & Japan. Let me know if I can help. Stan said it all. (See Stan below)

Stan
(Sorry about the tools Stan, not done with the site yet. I haven’t told anyone but you guys here. I meant to put “sample” and no price on tools, just filler for now. Gonna change to Google checkout also before official launch).

“The problem with procumbens, I think, is that it has developed a stigma with the advanced hobbyist because it has been sooooo oversold in the mallsai market. The serious artists, in my opinion, steer away from them so as to not be lumped in the same category with the beginner. Is this right?”

YES, you are EXACTLY right in your comments above. In fact, you couldn’t have hit the nail more on the head if you had nuclear sledgehammer. Most people I talk to think that Procumbens ONLY are bonsai trees. 25 years ago it was worse. I had a chain of stores here carrying my trees and NOTHING but junipers sold. The real problem with the mallsai guys is they don’t even know bonsai at all. They have bought the 48” staked upright from me and simply stuck them in cheep ceramic pots and did NO training or trimming at all. Second is, they need to at least tell people junipers are full sun and cannot be grown indoors. (taking a class would help them also).

Thanks for the compliments Stan. I will post some of my personal collection here soon. Everything on line is done for retail. I like LARGE yamadori bonsai. Trying to do more sub tropical like Banyon/ficus so I can offer some indoor or low light specimens.

Anyone interested in nana’s please contact me personally to receive a better price.

Thanks everyone for your kindness!
JC

Check out my other site www.pipersgilley.com. I make this unit. (Yes... I also play). So, now you probably know more about me now than you care to :cool:

Last edited:

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here in California Procumbens Nana are easy to grow and keep alive. They are readily available at both Bonsai Nurseries and others. I have many. I usually develop them over several years in the ground to get trunk width. Developing "Nebari" is difficult on this species although the tree I am using in my profile (avitar) has developed a decent Nebari. I like the literati style for this species but have a nice cascade also. The tree that I have the most trouble with here is Vance's specialty, Mugo Pines. I think it is too hot.

Tona

Top Bottom