4th Of July Shimpaku

WyldStallyn

Seedling
Reaction score
Here's a little shimpaku I styled over the long weekend. It had minimal branching to begin with and a bar branch right in the middle. The apex is also too far away from the main branches. I have gotten a couple of opinions to turn this into a literati tree over the next couple of years. Jin a branch next year, Jin the other the next. See which one works best. I think I like this idea, but wanted to see what input I could get from the good folks here at BNut.

First pic is after, second pic is right before I did anything to the apex. Let's hear it!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 41

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You posted it so therefore it's fair game for ideas. After it recuperates for a year, I would first get rid of those bottom two branches. Then you can work on the top. In a few years you'll have yourself a nice looking Literati. IMO.

Pifecta.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well,

I'm curious...

In your write up, you mentioned the bar branches. And then, you went and jinned a branch that's not a bar branch, and left both the bar branches.

Your work on lowering the apex is ok. I'm just confused about the rest of your plan.

WyldStallyn

Seedling
Reaction score
Well,

I'm curious...

In your write up, you mentioned the bar branches. And then, you went and jinned a branch that's not a bar branch, and left both the bar branches.

Your work on lowering the apex is ok. I'm just confused about the rest of your plan.

I thought there might be enough separation between the two bottom branches to work as an informal upright. As I got closer to the finish, I realized that wasn't the case. And unfortunately jinned a branch that could have been useful down the line. Live and learn.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought there might be enough separation between the two bottom branches to work as an informal upright. As I got closer to the finish, I realized that wasn't the case. And unfortunately jinned a branch that could have been useful down the line. Live and learn.
Did you start at the top and work down?

When styling a tree, I always start at the bottom and work my way up. The apex is always the last thing I do.

WyldStallyn

Seedling
Reaction score
Did you start at the top and work down?

When styling a tree, I always start at the bottom and work my way up. The apex is always the last thing I do.

No, I worked from the bottom up.

Top Bottom