$5.00 Walmart boxwood with 2 apexes

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got this boxwood (not sure of exact kind) about 6 months ago and repotted it then. In the angle of this picture it has a forward lean but with 2 apexes. The main part of the trunk shoots to the left to form an apex. But a branch comes out of the trunk going upward to form another apex. Thought I might eliminate one to give a more triangular shape. But also thought of trimming both apexes to shorten it and give sort of an oak tree shape. I also wired a few lower branches that were going upward. Winter has been mild here in Florida and this tree has started putting out new growth. Don't want to go crazy with trimming which I have a tendency to do.DSCN6180.jpg

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Call me crazy but instead of cutting one apex or the other, or forming an oak style look, because of the left leaning of the trunk I could create a windswept tree. I understand that boxwoods are not very flexible but an inch of the lower right branch could be jinned and the next branch up could be pruned at the first shoot, then wired to the left. Other branches also wired left and lean the tree more as well. In fact I'm pretty sure I will attempt this. I have found some pics of windswept boxwoods so I know it can be done.DSCN6180_LI.jpgDSCN6184_LI.jpg

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wired it this afternoon without any major pruning. Did not have to prune the branches that I thought I'd have too. It does need to have some foliage cut but not going to worry about that right now after just wiring it. But soon will prune some to let sun get to the inner leaves and eliminate a couple branches just below the trunk line where it curves. I'll also slightly reposition some branches after seeing the camera angle as opposed to my standing over it angle. I also think that I may have leaned the tree just a little too much to the left. Over time will make adjustments.DSCN6202.jpgDSCN6207.jpgDSCN6212.jpgDSCN6210.jpg

Last edited:

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After veiwing the pictures I realized there were some small changes I could do. The 2 branches that were horizonal with each other - I cut off the smaller lower one. It was actually only a couple inches long. I lowered the highest branch a touch and spread out most branches just a little wider. Unfortunately the lowest branch went 'crack' when I did so! But it didn't break off. I covered the wound with cut paste and repositioned the wire so it is applying pressure to keep the branch together. I think it will heal just fine. I like that the lower branch is more horizontal. DSCN6237.jpgDSCN6231.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that!
I think this is the best possible direction you could've put this material towards.

I have a tiny one I aim to swept this summer!

Sorce

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that!
I think this is the best possible direction you could've put this material towards.

I have a tiny one I aim to swept this summer!

Sorce
Thank you Sorce! I was hoping to make good decisions on this tree and it looks like I did. Me happy!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're happy with, then its a good tree...

However, (and I'm going to be what some might call a jerk from here on--so stop reading if you don't want to hear it)...

what you've basically done is forced branching into unnatural positions, instead of doing the required pruning to get a more natural looking tree. Take a step back and REALLY look at it...does it look like its shape happened naturally? or does it look like it always did, only on a slant?

Windswept is not an easy style to do, even for well -experienced bonsaiists. Like literati, the style is sometimes a fall back for beginners with difficult material.

Your initial ideas for an oak style were correct with this material. It was a pretty decent start on that style too. Forcing a style on a tree that isn't initially suited to it winds up looking odd., not to mention the tree can also suffer, since it doesn't really grow as its being forced to do. Boxwood don't like to have their branches inverted. Small branches like the one on this tree can also be easily damaged or killed with aggressive wiring. They back bud very easily when hard pruned, however. That makes it effective with a clip and grow approach. The tall boxwood below was developed from a stump dug from a hedge. It's trunk lends itself (like yours does) to a more upright "Tall tree" image. The other one (a kingsville) is an "old live oak" image. It has a tiny single trunk that had many branches coming from it. I used what was there and didn't try to make either do something they didn't "want to do."

Attachments

• kingsville2.jpg
    kingsville2.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 26
  • boxwood3.jpg
    boxwood3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 27

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Despite not looking totally natural, I think you’ve done a good job (top windswept pic.) depicting a tree really gettin’ BLOWN!
😁

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Props to @rockm for giving good conflicting advice without attacking. That's how you do healthy criticism :)

I like your original plan for the tree but tbh I don't hate the windswept idea either. It was super cheap material to start so it's not like you ruined a rare specimen or anything. And now you have experience and knowledge regarding how Boxwoods respond to shaping like this!

I have a similar but even less impressive starting point with my one boxwood; two trunks from the soil and not much potential IMO. I just wired them in a half-assed windswept position to see what it looked like, then left it like that and called it a day. Not sure what I'll do to it but I can wait and make a decision next year

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I like rockm’s advice about trying to make it look like an actual tree. Your initial thought about an oak type look would be nice to see.

The typical formula is new to bonsai=make everything windwept or cascade, but with some thought more can be had.

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, where to begin? First of all, I appreciate everybody's comments, I'm very glad for the help. Looking back, I think it would have been better to have kept this as an upright tree. At the time I was really into the windswept look. At that time I was living in an apartment building and I kept my trees behind it. Right before I was to move into a house last year I found several of my trees vandalized. This one was chopped in half at the base and never recovered. I attempted to file a police report but it was when covid was starting and the police said they weren't going to respond to something like this but I could make a report online. I was going to be moving soon so I didn't worry abut it. One of the other trees chopped was a wisteria. I stuck the top half into a pot and it rooted so now at least I have 2 wisterias!

Top Bottom