5 1/2 year old maple

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey everyone, this is my maple which I have grown in a medium sized bucket for 5 years, and I have transfered it into this pot because I thought it was ready. There is a nice partially developed nebari, but I have buried it in the thought of roots getting thicker while buried. What do you guys think of this tree? I know its my tree, but what ideas would you use on this tree if it were your own?

Attachments

• 20190419_095352.jpg
    20190419_095352.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 43

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the site! You’ve got the right idea, but I’d say it needs more time in the ground and shape to move it along. Try this. Chop at the red and use the green line as the new trunk line, then plant back in the ground for another 5 years. I know it’s seems like a lot of time, but you may be happier with it if you do! Good luck! F8D7BC17-0902-4AEF-93EA-5D809B4185E1.jpeg

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For some reason i know its not anything special but i like the oval wound. How would it look if i only kept the curly branch on the left and cut the tree just above the wound? Would the curly branch make an okay trunk?

Attachments

• 20190419_135657.jpg
    20190419_135657.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 26

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For some reason i know its not anything special but i like the oval wound. How would it look if i only kept the curly branch on the left and cut the tree just above the wound? Would the curly branch make an okay trunk?
You could certainly do that. But 1 thing that makes Bonsai convincing as mini trees long term is a good taper of thickness’ from top to bottom. Also, wounds like that can be unsightly on deciduous bonsai, especially if your not experienced in how to handle them and have them seal over with time. Honestly, By cutting the tree at that height you’d basically have a very long untapering straight section of trunk before any movement with a funky wound half way up. Lastly, this is a hobby for me and something I enjoy and don’t always make the best decisions, I do this hobby because I enjoy it. You should do the same. Cut where you feel you should. Just know that most seasoned hobbiests/enthusiasts on this site will advise cutting lower and planting back in the ground.

Top Bottom