5 Japanese Maples, some questions!

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello Folks,

Yesterday, I was able to get 5 Japanese Maples, 2 Beni Otake's, 1 Saoshika, 1 Kihachijo, and another unidentified. This JM came from a friend of mine, that cannot longer take care of them due to an illness, best thing of all, all for free! :shock:

As you can see they are on wooden containers (4 of 5), and if you look closely, they have a lot of leaf burn, all over around. My theory, no sun protection and the current soil its just too compact/dense tho allowing a lot of water retention.

This is my plan, I will plant them on the ground next spring, but I'm afraid their health can decrease if I leave them on that soil. How risky will be to repot them now?

Also, the trunk it's on average 1.25~1.5 inches diameter, with no movement or taper. When I plant them on the ground to fatten up, will be also a good idea to chop them down hard, leave a leader and start building some movement and taper?

Will also be a good idea to add a tile under the roots, at the time of plating them on the ground?

RCd1Il.jpg

68lMQl.jpg

8lzkYl.jpg

X89R6l.jpg

xiwtMl.jpg

vB7frl.jpg

frKFVl.jpg

U1OUhl.jpg

Reaction score
seeing that you live in Norwalk... I gotta say you might be in too hot of a climate for these, sadly leaf burn is probally going to be a constant problem... it is for me here in florida...

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't repot them now. Spring would be best and maples can tolerate pretty damp soil. If you feel the soil is too wet however, then they can be repotted in fall after after the leaves turn colors and start to fall. They do need a good cool winter break from the heat though and I have noticed that when there are mild winters after a long hard summer that they don't fair as well as after longer colder winters. You may have problems in your zone if winters don't stay cool enought to let them go properly dormant.

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I do have another JM for well over a year and it only show up a tiny bit of burn on the very tips on some of the leaves, but I do keep it under the shadow cloth, and seems to be doing really well.

The leaf burn on these 5 JM I'm very confident that it could be due to the high heat we had these couple of weeks, and these JM came from the Inland Empire in Southern California were it can get 10~15 degrees hotter than where I live and these past weeks we been averaging 100 daily.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Warren Hill recently told me that JMs should tolerate full sun and if they don't, there's too much salt content in your soil from either the water supply, or ferts like Miracle Gro. Just sharing.... ;)

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Warren Hill recently told me that JMs should tolerate full sun and if they don't, there's too much salt content in your soil from either the water supply, or ferts like Miracle Gro. Just sharing.... ;)

Japanese maples will tolerate full sun in mild areas, but no way in hot areas of the south, salt or no salt.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do have another JM for well over a year and it only show up a tiny bit of burn on the very tips on some of the leaves, but I do keep it under the shadow cloth, and seems to be doing really well.

The leaf burn on these 5 JM I'm very confident that it could be due to the high heat we had these couple of weeks, and these JM came from the Inland Empire in Southern California were it can get 10~15 degrees hotter than where I live and these past weeks we been averaging 100 daily.

I don't doubt it. Some of mine look worse with the horrible summer we have had here.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Japanese maples will tolerate full sun in mild areas, but no way in hot areas of the south, salt or no salt.

Well living in Fort Worth, I guess you'd know better than me ;) Thanks for telling me as I thought they could handle all the sun given the right watering/fertilizing/soil.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well living in Fort Worth, I guess you'd know better than me ;) Thanks for telling me as I thought they could handle all the sun given the right watering/fertilizing/soil.

That may be the case in Chicago.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they seem to be in a weakened state or at the least are not thriving in addition to the fact that you will be planting them in ground next spring (and possibly doing root work), I would wait at least a year if not two after planting them in ground before doing any chops. This would be best to make sure that after the chops been made the tree/s have good vigor and there for will have an optimal amount of new growth being pushed.

Fidel1

Seed
Reaction score
A number of branches on my Japanese maple did not leaf out this year. The wood is not dead; it is still green when I cut it. Any ideas what is causing the problem? Are the leafless branches a lost cause and should be trimmed?

Last edited:
Top Bottom