5 needle White Bark Pine (Pinus albicaulis) update

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I collected a very few White Bark Pine in 2018 in the Mountains near me. I gave some away, a couple were not collected right and this one is left. As you can see, it is more like a bush verses a tree. Long arms with very little foliage and very little growth since I have had it. I get a little impatient when trees don't do something in a year or two, so last year I pulled a lot of needles, cut in half all candles and told it to show me something or in the trash can you will go. I just noticed the other day what the results were. As you can see by the pictures, there are a lot of small buds forming and shooting out on the bare branches...one of the branches 4" long has 4 buds and several other branches have 1-3 buds. I have a little red dot where each new bud is. They were certainly not there last year or the year before. It's a small tree only about 12-14" tall and not a very big trunk as you can see. Going to be fun to watch what it does. I am finding that it is about the third year before the pines I collect really start to rock and go. I haven't been up this year yet. Still lots of snow. I better go up soon I think.

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0529_LI.jpg
    IMG_0529_LI.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0531_LI.jpg
    IMG_0531_LI.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0533_LI.jpg
    IMG_0533_LI.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0536_LI.jpg
    IMG_0536_LI.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0539_LI (2).jpg
    IMG_0539_LI (2).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 66

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Considering what few needles it has every bit of growth is excellent to have and all back buds great news;). Keep up great work. Nice to see Whitebark here.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I donated that tree to the Boise, Id club for a fund raiser last year. It was doing fine but very slow growing! I really don't know where it is now. I have collected several others in the last year or so...two bigger ones and one smaller but they are all bedded down in the cold frame or under snow now. Remind me this spring and I will take pictures. It was 14 here this am and supposed to get colder with more snow on the way.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You're welcome anytime. Just let me know.

Top Bottom