5 - Year Native Tree/Native pot - Shepherdia Canadensis Considerations - (HorseloverFat)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
This is an interesting native relative of the Elaeagnus. I used to think Elaeagnus was related to the olives, hence their common names, autumn olive, etc. Turns out Elaeagnus is in the Oleaster family, not at all related to olives. They share a lineage with Rhamnaceae - the buckthorns are a related family of trees and shrubs to the Elaeagnaceae or Oleaster Family. Rhamnaceae and Elaeagnaceae are adjacent families in their clades. They have nothing at all to do with olives.

The "deep dive" for the day into taxonomy dungeon.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Surprised I missed this thread. I'm very interested in how this goes for you. I have never collected shepherdia canadiensis, but I do have it's thorny and edible cousin, argentus, that I collected in 2017. Not the best material, but it's been awesome to work with so far. Only female plants get berries, and mine appears to be a male. Best of luck with yours!

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It really does have nice foliage. Very different from my Argentus. Canadiensis also seems to be less course. I'll hopefully find one worth trying out soon. Here is my argentus and it's foliage:27B154A8-2818-4B22-AFE1-C2A0F1B42DA8.jpeg077983E0-4F36-4219-BF93-CA1A216324D8.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm going to add it to the challenge list. I just have other responsibilities and hobbies that take time away from small trees. I glazed a bunch of small pots today, for example.
Greetings friend.. I keep looking at this picture of your pots and i have a few questions..

What kind of clay bodies do you use? What do you typically fire to? How long have you been messin’ round with clay? I’m always eager to interface with other clay people.. it’s good for a potter..

Cool! I love clay!!!
Here’s one I did last night.. (I said I wasn’t gonna share THIS load until it was all done.. but what the hell?)EB4A404F-B63E-4947-A105-6C85F6011AC3.jpegD9E7EF8C-7EA2-4707-AE4E-7F5E34EF65BD.jpeg5D5B8767-2483-4984-BB5E-90D0C49EB51C.jpeg
The only OVERALL fabrication process I typically use is free-form slab-thrown.. THIS clay is 101, a common bentonite mixture, I believe. But up until recently, I had become obsessed with the utilization of my local clays.. and how to best refine/process.. and also the best naturally sourced temper material.. basically “deep diving” into clay body physics. So I did that for a year, my first year. 🤣

You COULD reply in PM.. cause this is a contest thread. 🤓

Last edited:

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I wouldn’t worry too much.
I took a curing and tied it into a pot and entered it.
the bar is set pretty low.
but you must enjoy your tree.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
And by curing, I mean cutting.
but it’s still fun.
and that thing is growing. I’ll have to prune it regularly to keep it in that pot for the duration.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This specimen didn’t really do much.. at all this first season.. besides kill off the large trunk.. (Gotta seal) leaving the first branch.. which JUST began to back-bud...7E6B539F-C844-4973-A203-EFB57F07A88D.jpeg2DC0A0E5-7DE2-472B-91BF-A3E589CB2F9D.jpeg

Top Bottom