5 Year old Chinese Elm(first bonsai)- Help

Jamo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0073.JPG IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0071.JPG today was a big day, I received my Chinese elm bonsai. Though I am very excited about this new hobby, I am definitely going to need some help. My goal for the future and yes I know this is a long way away is to make this an upright broom style bonsai. I wanted to get some feedback on the first steps I should take with my bonsai and how to keep it healthy and growing. I want to grow the trunk to become wider and was wondering what would be the best option for this. Should I re pot into a larger pot? If so what type of soil should I use. Just asking for general thoughts and ideas. Please don't be afraid to tell me how it is! Here are some pictures of my little guy!
Officially part of the Bonsai world :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome to the forum. You'll want to go to your profile page to put your location in, so you can be given advice that will work for your climate. These trees can be fun to grow, you'll want to learn how to keep it alive before you do too much to it. I would suggest taking a wooden skewer and sticking it in the soil. Leave it in there and every day check it for moisture. When it starts to dry out, then it's time to water it. Hopefully you have a watering can with a fine rose on it or some way to water that doesn't disturb the soil. You may get some leaf yellowing or drop as it adjusts to it's new home. This is normal and as long as you don't overwater or underwater, it will put out new leaves. Remember that the fewer the leaves it has the less water it needs. But if you do use the skewer method, you won't have any trouble. Learning to water is one of the first hard things with bonsai.

PS, don't keep it in that pan, as if it sits in water all day it can rot the roots. Drainage is a good thing. Humidity trays are unnecessary, but can be good to protect your shelf.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Jamo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can repot it in the spring into a larger pot. Are you planning on this going outside?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It depends on how the tree is doing, and what the roots look like. If it's healthy, then yes, but if it's struggling, then I would just wash the old soil off if it's not good soil and replant without much root disturbance. You will have a hard time if you are planning on keeping it inside, these are primarily outdoor trees, regardless of what some sellers will tell you. You may be able to keep it for a few years without dormancy, but it may suffer. Trees do like to sleep in the winter, but inside can't do that. If you can give it outdoors in the summer at least, you'll give it more of a chance.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
First of all welcome! Second, what Judy says is what I was thinking...
And if you have not read this thread, you should. And be sure to click the link to the thread inside the first post to see where these trees started from. This is a great goal for you.

http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/tw...from-mallsai-7-years-later.26139/#post-420966

There is quite a lot of learning to do on bonsai basics. Horticulture, styles and how to get there. You may not reach the goal you want with the tree you have. I would encourage you to keep your mind open to suggestions and the information you are given. Some of the folks you will meet on here have been practicing bonsai at a very high level for decades and are known around the world. Some of us are just here but can point you in the right direction...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom