5 Yr Native Tree Challenge - Mirror Bush (Coprosma Repens)

nissan

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Collected this as a 2 inch seedling from the back yard in 2016 and I've grown it in a pot ever since. About 2.5 years ago when the tree was big enough I started wiring, styling and pruning it approximately once a year to get it to the stage it's currently at.
It's my first attempt at bonsai, although I've been interested in the art for decades but never had the time.
I've seen these trees as tall as 8 meters, but in Australia they are normally grown as shrubs.
I'm growing out the lowest branch to thicken it up in line with the ones above it. The last prune in May 21 was a bit hard as I'm trying to refine the structure a bit and develop the pads.
I've included some photos to detail my journey.

Attachments

• 1 - 22Sep2019 pre prune.jpg
    1 - 22Sep2019 pre prune.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 2 - 22Sep2019 post prune.jpg
    2 - 22Sep2019 post prune.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 31
  • 3 - 15Jul2020 pre prune.jpg
    3 - 15Jul2020 pre prune.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 4 - 15Jul2020 post prune.jpg
    4 - 15Jul2020 post prune.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 5 - 12May2021 pre prune.jpg
    5 - 12May2021 pre prune.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 6 - 30May2021 post prune.jpg
    6 - 30May2021 post prune.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 44

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That’s a great tree!.. I’d be proud to have it!... however, i feel that the whole,
Collected this.. in 2016...

About 2.5 years ago when the tree was big enough I started wiring, styling and pruning it approximately once a year to get it to the stage it's currently at.
Might be contrary to “Da Rulez”, as Cosmo and Wanda would say....

But I’m wrong, often.

🤓

nissan

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks HoneyHornet and HorseloverFat, being my first ever attempt, I posted pics for feedback and opinion and then worked out I probably should have posted on the New To Bonsai thread.
That’s a great tree!.. I’d be proud to have it!... however, i feel that the whole,

Might be contrary to “Da Rulez”, as Cosmo and Wanda would say....

But I’m wrong, often.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks HoneyHornet and HorseloverFat, being my first ever attempt, I posted pics for feedback and opinion and then worked out I probably should have posted on the New To Bonsai thread.
Oooooooh!

No problem!

Welcome! This place is great... a freaky, communal bazaar, specializing in the trade of knowledge and experience... take what you need, share what you can.

It will also be helpful to change your account information to reflect a general location/climate zone. It can be vague (Mine just says Northeastern Wisconsin). That way we are not trying to give Costa Rican advice to a New Englander.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!

🤓

nissan

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Oooooooh!

No problem!

Welcome! This place is great... a freaky, communal bazaar, specializing in the trade of knowledge and experience... take what you need, share what you can.

It will also be helpful to change your account information to reflect a general location/climate zone. It can be vague (Mine just says Northeastern Wisconsin). That way we are not trying to give Costa Rican advice to a New Englander.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!

🤓
Thank you for the kind welcome. Its great to be here, there's just so much information, knowledge and expertise available, all for the asking if not already out there.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank you for the kind welcome. Its great to be here, there's just so much information, knowledge and expertise available, all for the asking if not already out there.
Indeed!

SOME people come here for the society/fellowship.. myself included... this is my “social club”... Check out threads in the Tea House if you haven’t yet, and are interested in things such as that.

;)

Top Bottom