$50 a head to visit Mirai?!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
As far as the $50 fee charge, I do think that Mirai wants to be elevated from everyone else.

Probably.

46152918.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 b
My wife and I were just at Elandan gardens today. 8.00 dollars a piece. Well worth it. Dan was there and Larry Jackel also . Had a great time. Dan gave freely of his time and answered any questions and would teach you about everything. If you are ever in the area it is definitely worth seeing. I drove up from south of Portland to see it . Tomorrow we will go to the Pacific Bonsai collection . Dans trees are on display there also .

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you visit mirai, do you go to areas for sale only? Or also his private collection?

You get to see it all. The for sale trees aren’t marked as such and Ryan’s trees that aren’t for sale are also not marked as such. It’s a functional nursery garden and not a sales floor. Ryan’s famous trees are presently nicely throughout the garden, on pedestals, and some have backdrops.

How many sqm has Ryan Neil’s property?

The property itself is probably at least 25,000 square meters and I’m guessing the total area for trees is 4,000–5,000 square meters.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You get to see it all. The for sale trees aren’t marked as such and Ryan’s trees that aren’t for sale are also not marked as such. It’s a functional nursery garden and not a sales floor. Ryan’s famous trees are presently nicely throughout the garden, on pedestals, and some have backdrops.

The property itself is probably at least 25,000 square meters and I’m guessing the total area for trees is 4,000–5,000 square meters.
So we are talking at least 1000 trees of which a large number very well styled old yamadori?
#Need-to-see-in-person-one-day

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Much more interesting trees with long pedigrees and histories at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum...People there, from the volunteers to the staff, will talk to you for free. Heck, I'll only charge $5 a head for a half-assed tour
;)

As for tourists traipsing through...c'mon...The National Bonsai Museum and National Arb. have literally busloads of people arriving every day. ALL of those run through the bonsai exhibit. The trees are placed out of reach behind discreet barriers so screwing around with them is difficult--but it does happen...Ryan's not going to get that kind of crowd though. He's high end and no one unfamiliar with bonsai is going to seek him out.

BTW, anyone know what Dan Robinson charges to get into Elandan?
To my knowledge Elandan is free to visit. I don’t usually have to pay to get into bonsai stuff though, and it’s in a pricey area. Well worth a trip if already in Seattle. I’d spend my time at the Pacific Bonsai Musuem if you have limited stops you can make.

Reaction score

It’s a huge property, maintaining it is crazy hard even without bonsai.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To my knowledge Elandan is free to visit. I don’t usually have to pay to get into bonsai stuff though, and it’s in a pricey area. Well worth a trip if already in Seattle. I’d spend my time at the Pacific Bonsai Musuem if you have limited stops you can make.
Well, I'm a bit prejudiced, of course, between the Pacific Rim Collection - which currently DOES have a special section set aside for accenting a dozen or so of Dan Robinson's "Gnarly" trees - and the several hundred of Dan's gorgeous and instructional trees for $8 a visit at Dan's Elandan Gardens ... kind of a no-brainer, it seems, even for this small-brained Neanderthal microcephalic cretin, but there still may be something yet to be gained by those fortunate enough to sport a fully filled cranium who happen to visit Elandan Gardens when they might have had their egos and bragging rites better filled with a trip to the Pacific Rim collection instead. Is any of that coherent? Conherence, BTW, is vastly overrated, IMHO!!!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I went there last summer and it’s worth it , you’ll probably never see as many high quality bonsai in one place
Nope. I've seen many high quality trees at nurseries that have been developed and refined for many years. Admission was free or at low cost.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't pay $50.00 to look at anyone's trees.
For that price I don't need to ever see them.
Not even $5.00.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When compared to the $109 per person to go to the Magic Kingdom in Disney World that doesn’t sound out of line. You pay $109 to stand in line, sweat and buy crappy food.

Edit: Don’t forget to add the $20 for parking.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Well, I'm a bit prejudiced, of course, between the Pacific Rim Collection - which currently DOES have a special section set aside for accenting a dozen or so of Dan Robinson's "Gnarly" trees - and the several hundred of Dan's gorgeous and instructional trees for $8 a visit at Dan's Elandan Gardens ... kind of a no-brainer, it seems, even for this small-brained Neanderthal microcephalic cretin, but there still may be something yet to be gained by those fortunate enough to sport a fully filled cranium who happen to visit Elandan Gardens when they might have had their egos and bragging rites better filled with a trip to the Pacific Rim collection instead. Is any of that coherent? Conherence, BTW, is vastly overrated, IMHO!!!

I’ve been to Elandan once, and definitely enjoyed the experience. It’s not a common bonsai garden, as it is full of rock sculptures on building size scale, surrounded by the bay, and full of ancient trees.

Both are nice places. I prefer the Pacific Bonsai Musuem, but will re-visit Elandan any chance I get. It’s a spectacle of form and focus.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Every body seems to have a desire to find a way to make money with bonsai. It seems that Ryan may have accomplished that except many are not happy with the method.

Vance, I think you’re 100% correct. If Ryan had an AC or plumbing business, he’d be praised. Bonsai for 99% of those involved is a HOBBY. Some fail to realize that the few bonsai pros (and there are only 5-7ish of us) who do this full time have to make a living and this is not as easy as it may seem.

The sheer amount of money and effort put into the Mirai garden and trees is monumental. If I spent that much, I’d charge for entry too. It’s a bonsai theme park (in a good way).

In Japan, you don’t just show up and expect the people there to jump to. You get introduced by another pro or client. There are exceptions, but that’s their filter at high end gardens. I’ve seen a brazen Japanese man walk in, say he wanted a nice tree for his patio and had an 8k budget. He was of course, allowed in.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I'd ever be In America and have the chance to visit Ryan's place it will be expensive getting my ass across the pond anyway so 50$ will be what I pay if I have to!
Then again.. If you pop him a message and tell him you are travelling from across the pond, he might let you in for free?!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Then again.. If you pop him a message and tell him you are travelling from across the pond, he might let you in for free?!

I'm Dutch so probably that's the way I try first 🤣
But still if I have to pay 50 bucks to visit ginko in Belgium I wouldn't go there tough

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If you wait for a favourable exchange rate then it could little more cost than a blu-ray so that would make it seem far better value.
Rate not so crash hot at the moment though.

There is always Epcot, rollercoasters and bonsai. Presumably they let kids in too.

Top Bottom