$50 a head to visit Mirai?!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Perhaps if that $50 were then waived if you spent at least $50 on products or services it would seem more acceptable. If he doesn't want visitors he should say so. Of course that will cut down on on-site customers but perhaps he doesn't want them? I know that I avoid bonsai operations that are "by appointment only". I'd love to see some of them, but I feel obligated to buy something if I go, so mostly I don't.
Boon’s garden is “open by appointment”, but he doesn’t charge a fee, nor does he expect you to buy anything. He’s not really open to the public, he’ll only let you in if you are a “known person” -a student, client, or a referral by a trusted person he knows. I have, for instance, sent a friend there, and Morten Wellhaven gave him a tour of the garden.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boon’s garden is “open by appointment”, but he doesn’t charge a fee, nor does he expect you to buy anything. He’s not really open to the public, he’ll only let you in if you are a “known person” -a student, client, or a referral by a trusted person he knows. I have, for instance, sent a friend there, and Morten Wellhaven gave him a tour of the garden.

....the way it could/should be...

I would bring @WeeMac to Bonsai West and NEBG when he was small. Retail....don't think Mirai is catering to that market segment. That's great.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went there last summer and it’s worth it , you’ll probably never see as many high quality bonsai in one place
I don't know if Ryan's place is worth the $50, but I do know that the free admission to see the hundreds of world class trees from dozens of the world's best bonsai artists both present, past and ancient (Ryan got a tree he's been cultivating for 400 years?, or two or three dozen given to him by the Imperial Household, etc.) Just sayin, you can see high or higher quality bonsai in more than one place...

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Much more interesting trees with long pedigrees and histories at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum...People there, from the volunteers to the staff, will talk to you for free. Heck, I'll only charge $5 a head for a half-assed tour
;)

As for tourists traipsing through...c'mon...The National Bonsai Museum and National Arb. have literally busloads of people arriving every day. ALL of those run through the bonsai exhibit. The trees are placed out of reach behind discreet barriers so screwing around with them is difficult--but it does happen...Ryan's not going to get that kind of crowd though. He's high end and no one unfamiliar with bonsai is going to seek him out.

BTW, anyone know what Dan Robinson charges to get into Elandan?
I was thinking about posting but putting it off so this convinced me.
Dan Robinson charges $20 or $25.
I stopped by his garden while passing with the family on my to port orchard for a family visit. I had no idea who’s place it was. I just saw a “bonsai garden sign. I told my wife I wanted to stop in on the way back so we did.
I didn’t have much time so needless to say when I found out there was a 20 charge I declined.
I would gladly pay 25 for couple hours to spend hours studying material. 50 is definitely too steep for me. I was planning on going to Dans place this weekend with @grouper52 but I haven’t heard back yet.
Ryan probably correctly assumes that some people would become members and save the 25.00. Benefiting both parties.

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I don't know if Ryan's place is worth the $50, but I do know that the free admission to see the hundreds of world class trees from dozens of the world's best bonsai artists both present, past and ancient (Ryan got a tree he's been cultivating for 400 years?, or two or three dozen given to him by the Imperial Household, etc.) Just sayin, you can see high or higher quality bonsai in more than one place...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It strikes me as a meaningless comparison for some of y’all to evaluate a small private business’ fees against those of large public institutions with benefactors and volunteers 🤔
It's not a meaningless comparison. There are posts here suggesting that you can't see this kind of tree elsewhere. You can and not for $50.

IMO, $50 to walk around to what is essentially a commercial nursery takes some balls...Not begrudging him entrance fees, but c'mon FIFTY dollars?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree. It doesnt appear that Ryan is looking to make money of entrance fees to his garden. My opinion is that his goal is high level bonsai education, and turning out specimen trees. Not family outing day with a kids running through the garden.

Keep in mind Mirai isnt set up like the arboretum, with single display trees behind velvet ropes with a big placard talking about it. Its just a ton of benches with multiple trees all next to each other. All it takes is for one over zealous kid to pull down a cascade yamadori juniper to have a huge monetary impact, not to mention an ancient tree that may be killed.
Then why allow people in without appointment?

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Your right, I’m on the east coast I’ve been to DC a couple times, I should of said collected native trees

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your right, I’m on the east coast I’ve been to DC a couple times, I should of said collected native trees
more accurate might be collected WESTERN ALPINE trees. Ryan's collection of native U.S. trees beyond the intermountain west is very limited. Although those trees are spectacular, they're not the only native species being used in the U.S.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Then why allow people in without appointment?
Do they? It looks like they have specific times set aside for guided tours, so maybe thats kind of like an appointment.

But Im not sure, I dont work there or speak for them. Just trying to help people understand why “I” think he charges what and why “I” think its worth it.

Comparing it to the national arboretum or whatever and saying “well this is free” or cheap or whatever makes no sense.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I went there last summer and it’s worth it , you’ll probably never see as many high quality bonsai in one place
I am glad you enjoyed the visit, but i disagree with your statement. There are many collections of Bonsai trees that are of even higher quality. Think about it, how long has Mirai been in business compared to other leading world class artists and collectors. Bonsai takes time as well as skill and great material.
I am not putting down Ryan's accomplishments, just saying there is a broader perspective when making such a declaration.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's nothing.
I charge $5.00 just to glance at my trees for 1 second for cars driving by my yard.

...gave a large hairy dude with one of those baseball hats that holds a six-pack a fiver....pretty sure it was Bigfoot, but I daren't ask....hate speech laws being what they are....😝

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do they? It looks like they have specific times set aside for guided tours, so maybe thats kind of like an appointment.

But Im not sure, I dont work there or speak for them. Just trying to help people understand why “I” think he charges what and why “I” think its worth it.

Comparing it to the national arboretum or whatever and saying “well this is free” or cheap or whatever makes no sense.

If the thinking is that Ryan's is the only place to see that kind of thing, it makes perfect sense.

And no, set times for group tours (individual tours are $100) are not appointments. In practice, I have no idea how he organizes those, or anything else. Just sayin that there are less expensive places to see world class trees...If you're out to see RYAN'S trees, that another story and price point.[/QUOTE]

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I agree with you. But it isnt a 1:1 comparison in my opinion. I see a visit to mirai as more of a learning experience, rather than a quick stop at this tree, then that tree, then that tree. But, ive never been to mirai, or the national arboretum. So maybe the tour guides in DC can answer in-depth horticultural and styling questions about the trees? Maybe at Mirai they rush you through all the trees? Not sure.

Both places are on my list to visit though.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with you. But it isnt a 1:1 comparison in my opinion. I see a visit to mirai as more of a learning experience, rather than a quick stop at this tree, then that tree, then that tree. But, ive never been to mirai, or the national arboretum. So maybe the tour guides in DC can answer in-depth horticultural and styling questions about the trees? Maybe at Mirai they rush you through all the trees? Not sure.

Both places are on my list to visit though.

Depends on who is around at the Arboretum answering questions. Same for Mirai, I'd bet.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Many of us here are hobbyist’s, some have a side hustle to help offset the costs of the hobby….propagation, ceramics, etc.

The real difference between Ryan and most of us is that he has step over to the business side of bonsai. He now has overhead. I don’t believe he is potentially making any profit for charging $50 a head to enter. But I would assume there’s costs involved when you have to have someone from the staff babysit. If I was well known and had a nice set up, I personally wouldn’t want a stranger roaming though the nursery unattended.

Maybe the fee is to deter curious people? Maybe it’s to cover the staff’s salary for babysitting? But I personally think $50 is too steep to be ask……you can get into amusement parks for less.

I think a face matched voucher for a future purchase would be fair in return for the “tour fee”.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree 50.00 is too much. 25.00 is fair though. I lived in N.VA and DC for the majority of my life and I used to spend hours in the national galleries studying and sketching the artwork. If I had to pay I would not have spent nearly as much time or learned as much. Ryan’s place can’t be free or it would be filled all the time with people just looking or studying his work.
0C7326E8-239D-444E-BD12-ABB4304DE069.jpeg0A7A65F5-02BE-4C5F-8BD4-1F14417AB118.jpeg11E74E28-BB6C-442C-88B3-377723C31609.jpeg7CA24C68-B8F3-4941-AC70-916F45AB05FA.jpegF992B464-AE4C-4210-B8F9-4F230F487B00.jpegEC238437-41D0-408E-A7F5-1485A50C2C94.jpeg

Top Bottom