Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This was a seedling during the Christopher Columbus era
1632157587459.png

1632157869198.png
The little tags are significant dates in history globally, such as nearing the 400 year old growth ring
the telephone was invented. Approximates to be a seedling in 1491 where it lived just South of Nigeria.
Now on display at Keim Lumber, in Charm, OH with strong Amish influence and presence.

1632158778972.png
Here is an example of a live edge slab for $35,000 on etsy and a couple other examples

1632158908230.png

1632159013095.png

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bubinga is quite interesting. I was debating between bubinga, quilted redwood, and quilted maple for the last guitar I build. I was able to secure a 1" thick quilt maple bookmatched top with a 1 3/4" figured black limba for the body. I love figured woods, I sold the little bit I had left but kept a decent 1/4" flamed maple bookmatched top. Still undecided on what to use it. I though about the top for a bonsai stand, but that would take a lot of attention away from the tree.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Butterflies? Am I missing something?
Sure. The bow tie like stitching inserts in the fissures used here to keep the cracks from expanding over time.
1632243283420.png
Metal banding or a bridge of sorts underneath can hold the splits together. Clear or coloured epoxy is another option.
Though in a fairly controlled environment, the wood is pretty stable with that thickness.
These are common in modern woodworking, even on pieces that don't require them. I've seen them on book match slabs.
I dislike them completely. They are precise, symmetrical and in direct contrast to natural, and this piece was all about natural.
Would like to have seen a high end natural root, twin base that complimented a piece going for 250,000 - 350,000 :rolleyes:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the edge, hate the butterflies. Clear epoxy or nothing would have been less obtrusive, subtle.
Um, well, Nakashima WANTED the butterflies to stand out. It's part of his signature and were meant to provide contrast and emphasis to the natural forms of the wood. Nakashima's work philosophy lies very close to that of bonsai. His studio is in New Hope, Pa., near where Chase Rosade's bonsai studio is located. I don't know if the two knew each other. Nakashima died in 1990.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure. The bow tie like stitching inserts in the fissures used here to keep the cracks from expanding over time.
View attachment 399052
Metal banding or a bridge of sorts underneath can hold the splits together. Clear or coloured epoxy is another option.
Though in a fairly controlled environment, the wood is pretty stable with that thickness.
These are common in modern woodworking, even on pieces that don't require them. I've seen them on book match slabs.
I dislike them completely. They are precise, symmetrical and in direct contrast to natural, and this piece was all about natural.
Would like to have seen a high end natural root, twin base that complimented a piece going for 250,000 - 350,000 :rolleyes:
OK, thanks. I didn't notice them. I have seen them on many pieces. They don't bother me at all. I think they are very clever.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 399089
I'm sure many like it, but around here we pay higher dollar for clear grade, as with jewels and wood.
Many do like it. FWIW, Nakashima began the use of "live edge" furniture with materials most woodworkers like yourself would throw away. He began woodworking while interned in a detention camp in 1942 in Idaho using what was at hand. Like his work or not, his influence on woodworking and art is long and deep.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Many do like it. FWIW, Nakashima began the use of "live edge" furniture with materials most woodworkers like yourself would throw away. He began woodworking while interned in a detention camp in 1942 in Idaho using what was at hand. Like his work or not, his influence on woodworking and art is long and deep.
I would never throw it away :) but that's out priced, as is a lot of art.
I think it's the artist that is associated with the piece, more than the piece itself most often.
Still, it's a beautiful piece...

Top Bottom