$57 big boy, didnt have a label...ID?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all,

Snagged this at big box, sweet talked the plant team out back and they were happy to see it go. Originally $200! I feel like it's a spruce, but it doesn't have the rounder shapes I'm used to seeing. I'm no pro, any ideas on species ID? Would you have bought it? I think 25+ gallon pot.
20220813_150956.jpg
20220813_151005.jpg20220813_151028.jpg20220813_151055.jpg

Cj

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would have definitely definitely got it . Looks spruce all the way to me . Possible a fir . Considering it’s weeping habit instead of typical spear like growth . Most likely a dwarf or specialty cultivar . Making it even slower growing . Add its size and it’s a steal . If I have to take a shot I’m going with Picea abies Norway spruce cultivar

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would have definitely definitely got it . Looks spruce all the way to me . Possible a fir . Considering it’s weeping habit instead of typical spear like growth . Most likely a dwarf or specialty cultivar . Making it even slower growing . Add its size and it’s a steal . If I have to take a shot I’m going with Picea abies Norway spruce cultivar
Spruce and firs can sometimes be easy to confuse. I use the simple reminder of "FIRS" = "FLAT".

Firs have flat needles. You can't roll them between your fingertips. They are directly attached to the branch with a base that looks like a suction cup.

Spruce have thick, rounded or square needles. You can easily roll them between your fingertips. They are attached to the branch with small woody stem that looks like a little stalk.

Hemlocks look similar to firs, but the needles on the same branch will have many different lengths.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Spruce and firs can sometimes be easy to confuse. I use the simple reminder of "FIRS" = "FLAT".

Firs have flat needles. You can't roll them between your fingertips. They are directly attached to the branch with a base that looks like a suction cup.

Spruce have thick, rounded or square needles. You can easily roll them between your fingertips. They are attached to the branch with small woody stem that looks like a little stalk.

Hemlocks look similar to firs, but the needles on the same branch will have many different lengths.
I had serious doubts about the spruce...what do you think it is?? Thanks for the insight!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I had serious doubts about the spruce...what do you think it is?? Thanks for the insight!

You can use all the info provided by @Bonsai Nut, right here to properly ID,

This is EXACTLY how I distinguish between firs and spruces.

Hemlocks, up here, are DEFINITELY not too easy to confuse.

(I DEFINITELY think 'Picea Abies'.. but don't have the tree in front of
me)

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Snagged this at big box, sweet talked the plant team out back and they were happy to see it go.
Nice work! Getting chummy with the garden center crew is definitely worth it!
Like you said, “they were happy to see it go.” As the season wanes, they just want to see ‘em gone & avoid wintering again.
I know a guy at Lowes who will happily mark down 50% if asked.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
would i buy it? I wouldnt buy a tree unless i 100% knew what species it was. i like spruce, it does look like a spruce or fir, again in this case i wouldnt buy either of those in a weeping habit, but ive certainly tried n failed with picea before.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
would i buy it? I wouldnt buy a tree unless i 100% knew what species it was. i like spruce, it does look like a spruce or fir, again in this case i wouldnt buy either of those in a weeping habit, but ive certainly tried n failed with picea before.
The benefit here is I just bought my first house so it doesn't have to be a bonsai project. Either way it's a great deal, so win-win.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Or boomhauer

Haha!..

Yeah.. Boomhauer's accent has just to do with speed spoken, repeat "fillers" and EXTREME drawl stops..

This is a lot like *Tennessee Street*... you ARE right.

But I wouldn't speak like that unless I KNEW.. and had spent time either THERE... (maybe a 3-day hold in county being the ONLY woodpecker in the pod ((I'm still half WHITE))) or just with families FROM.

🤓

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spruce make incredible bonsai . Especially wild collected trees . But it’s not all happy sunshine . Even in Japan they are considered the tree of bonsai masters . I would recommend caution . And research . Especially for root reduction . And make sure the tree is established and growing vigorous before styling and or aggressive training But there is lots of info available and certainly expertise amongst B nuts . Good luck I’m envious don’t find anything like that here at box stores 😎😎😎

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you. I acquired a rough 150 yo engelmanns spruce from a nursery in PA and it was my first real bonsai. I've had it for a couple months and almost learned very quickly how important attention to detail is. It was in too much sun and was slowly showing signs of heat exhaustion and probably underwatering on my behalf. I've since given it mostly filtered sun under a tree, watered and fertilized frequently as needed, and the results have been great. I'll let this one continue to grow through next season and probably use it as a statement piece in my landscape with some styling, appropriate.

It'll hopefully appreciate real earth and TLC at the same time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Spruce make incredible bonsai . Especially wild collected trees . But it’s not all happy sunshine . Even in Japan they are considered the tree of bonsai masters . I would recommend caution . And research . Especially for root reduction . And make sure the tree is established and growing vigorous before styling and or aggressive training But there is lots of info available and certainly expertise amongst B nuts . Good luck I’m envious don’t find anything like that here at box stores 😎😎😎
But, it's not a spruce, thanks to @BonsaiNutty ... I believe it to be a Douglas fir, but am going to the books here soon.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Morning
But, it's not a spruce, thanks to @BonsaiNutty ... I believe it to be a Douglas fir, but am going to the books here soon.
sorry I disagree I stand by my original statement on its ID . But I don’t have the plant to look at better pics might help . It is not Douglas Fir

Top Bottom