5Y native tree native pot challenge - sumo lonicera nitida

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Had this thing in my garden for over ten years, new GF hated it and wanted it out. I broke my back in getting it out (still got two in my chicken run) and then figured that the effort could be useful in participating in this challenge.

Permission for entry requested.

IMG_20220504_190430.jpg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool material, but isn't that native to east Asia? Or is it also native to Europe or the Old World as a whole? I see you're in Belgium? Regardless of whether it qualifies for the contest, I look forward to seeing you develop it.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cool material, but isn't that native to east Asia? Or is it also native to Europe or the Old World as a whole? I see you're in Belgium? Regardless of whether it qualifies for the contest, I look forward to seeing you develop it.
Wiki says it belongs to the 'family Caprifoliaceae, native to northern latitudes in North America and Eurasia'.
Britannica encyclopedia says 'Honeysuckles are native to temperate zones of both hemispheres, but they also grow in the Himalayas, southern Asia, and North Africa; the majority of species are found in China.'

Belgium belongs to a temperate zone. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom