5yr Native Tree Challenge #4 Forsoothe! Dogwood #2

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As collected ~09/00/20 Cornus ~florida~ volunteer maybe 4 years? old...
20200918_131508.jpg
Foliage shaped like florida, but shinier and more substantial like kousa. Growing next to a fence I don't see much because I only very occasionally weed my neighbors side of the fence. (He he he he) It was growing under the fence on their side but the roots were on my side on the top of a patio block thickly covered with mulch making the rootball about an inch thick. (look at the thin pot). I will grow this exactly as is, and choose spiral staircase branches to keep for spacing next year. I like the flat branches and the way way Dogwoods (and Littleleaf Linden) present foliage on flat arrays. This is a gift. (Mother Nature owes me a few...)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Trying to fatten this up, somewhat, while maintaining profile...Cc 060621 tipped upper half Bottom untouched.JPG

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well kiddies, game still on and lots of growth this summer. Removed wrap-around wiring of base of trunk that held this critter in the pot in spite of having insufficient heavy roots to hang on to. Just in the nick of time, too, because there were no wire marks to speak of under the vinyl tubing, but there is one sharp witness line caused by the sharp edge of one vinyl tube which was under a second layer of tubing. I have to assume that there would have been a wire mark there if there had not been two layers of tubing at that part of the lower trunk. I'm counting on it disappearing with growth. It has enough roots now in pot to stay upright with just guy wires to lower branches horizontal. I have no idea whether this will bloom on command at show-time, or not, but it will have the flat layers that C. florida is famous for.
cc 091021 wired base.JPGCc 091021 SQ tip & guy.JPG
I intend to grow this as big and heavy as possible by flowering time of June, 2024, and trim into a more compact form at picture time. Whether or not a naked photo in December will be submitted will depend upon which photo looks better.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe just a typo but I think submissions are only due December 2025 so you could have the extra year for development.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Actually, this blew over in storm and I think it was in that position for maybe 24 hours, so all the leaves dried out and did not re-hydrate when I watered it. I'm hoping that it's late enough in the year to have prepared it for defoliating and will do so tomorrow. Life's little surprises...

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Actually, this blew over in storm and I think it was in that position for maybe 24 hours, so all the leaves dried out and did not re-hydrate when I watered it. I'm hoping that it's late enough in the year to have prepared it for defoliating and will do so tomorrow. Life's little surprises...
Best of luck! I hope the tree recovers.

Top Bottom