5yr Native Tree Challenge - Dingus's quercus imbricaria (Shingle Oak)

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread will track my efforts at quercus imbricaria over the next 5 years...

I don't usually collect material. It's more about journey than destination for me so usually I prefer to grow from seed or young nursery stock. I've been wanting a larger oak to play with for a while now, though, and the local oak species are prolific in local wooded areas. Case in point, I recently happened across a couple of shingle oak in an area I could harvest from:

20201107_093639.jpg20201107_093653.jpg

The second one with the sharply curved trunk in particular caught my eye as something I could possibly work with for this challenge.

20201107_093732.jpg

It's not a super think trunk, but then I'm not that into sumos anyway. I liked the trunk line though :)

These trees were growing in a layer of a paper thin and flexibly shale/slate like material (Sorry! I'm not a geologist!) I'll try and research into how the layer originated, but this location is the only place I'm aware of it being exposed. The layer where it is exposed is ~6'-8' thick. Most of the exposed bits are broken down and very sandy. There are a few freshly exposed sections that look like stone face until you poke at them, then they peel and flake. The individual layers are very thin and slightly flexible. Next time I'm walking that section, I'll try and get some decent pictures.

Anyway, a lot of words to say that the trees are growing in something sandy yet claylike and layered and are growing out the side of an exposed ridge. It looked like they would be easy to dig out and keep a largish root ball.

That turned out to only be partly true! I've only harvested one tree so far, and it was easy to dig out. BUT, my expectations that the tap root would either grow down through the exposed sandy region or would grow along the layers INTO the ridge were only partly correct. Instead of an easily identifiable tap root, there were several thick radial roots that ran in all direction and sometimes doubled back! They were clearly following the layers in the soft stone...but they occasionally broke through into a neighboring layer or hit a more solid section and changed direction. I thought about trying to take pictures of this part but the shale broke down so easily that there wasn't much to see in a picture.

In the end, once I cut through 8-10 or so thick radial roots down to depth of about 6", the tree lifted right out! I didn't have to under-cut it at all! Had I realized the root zone was THAT shallow, I would have trenched much further out! I was expecting to be able to trench down more like a 12"-18" and then have to undercut that ball to snip the tap root. I planned my trench accordingly. I didn't start so far out that I couldn't get under the ball the snip the tap root without digging up half the state...except there wound up not being a tap root as I expected! I ended up with less than half the root volume I was expecting :( Had I know how shallow the main roots were, I could have trenched much further out and still gotten the tree out easily.

I did end up with a decent amount of feeders, but only about half the root volume I was hoping for :( I did keep as much of the native soil attached to the remaining roots as I could. One thing I've read often about oaks is that they are obligately mycorrhizal...they need mycorrhiza to be able to absorb nutrients and water properly. They are the only deciduous species that I am careful not to fully bare root. I always try to carry decent amounts of existing soil...especially soil attached to root...into the new pot to keep that relationship healthy!

Once I got the tree home, I potted it into a 5 gal grow bag. I filled up the bottom of the grow bag with a mix of NAPA 8822 and some of the loose soil that fell off getting the tree home. On top of that I set the root ball I saved...complete with native soil still attached.

20201108_110856.jpg

Then I filled the rest with pure 8822.

20201108_113334.jpg

There is some nebari under there, but I was reluctant to pull any more soil off to see it. Because of how it was growing into a layered soil in the side of a ridge, the nebari is probably not useful anyway...it certainly is not useful at this current potting angle!

About half of the top was trimmed off to bring the tree home. Shingle oak hold their leaves tight deep into the winter. I don't think that is to protect next year's buds, but I left the remaining leave for now anyway. Come February/March before these guys start to wake but after the weather starts to warm, I'll defoliate what's left and make some decisions on some further cuts. I have no intention to trunk chop. I'd rather deal with a thinner trunk with a line I enjoy that have to heal an ugly scar and rebuild. Also, I'd rather the tree invest in some of the buds it's already set than have to start new buds from scratch. I think the remaining top mass is still to large for the amount of roots I saved, though, so some further cutback is likely before spring.

There were numerous other smaller trees on the same ridge. The other picture above is the only other sizable but not TOO sizable one on this ridge, though. It has some long straight trunk sections I wasn't happy with that would probably need a chop to rectify so I left it there for now. There are one or two other places where I know these grow that I think I can harvest from that I want to scout out before making a final decision on what to do with the second one.

I'll end this overly long blather with a picture of the foliage on the tree I harvested...the worst of all states: too late for its fall color, too early for its winter (well, early spring!) silhouette!

20201108_131716.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Fantastic! This shall be fun!

It seems, to me, to be a tree which will present VERY personality-filled (good way 🤣) possibilities...

I am actually quite excited to be a “fly” on this “wall”
🤓

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fantastic! This shall be fun!

It seems, to me, to be a tree which will present VERY personality-filled (good way 🤣) possibilities...

I am actually quite excited to be a “fly” on this “wall”
🤓

The downside to this competition is that I normally would not have attempted to collect this tree until next August after the summer dormancy. That's my prefered time to move oak. Most of our native oaks have a dormancy during the high heat of summer where they just hang out. If you can move them just after that, there's still plenty of time for them to invest in root growth...oaks are usually one of the latest to go into winter dormancy here and will grow roots while shifting resources in the fall.

November is a bit late to catch that phase :( But, by now, the tree has stored all the energy it could this year. It has more stored energy at this point than it will at any other time prior to leafing out. I didn't see much benefit to waiting to spring to harvest. The soil is still warm enough here that mycorrhiza can begin to re-establish and root growth can happen...and it will happen where the tree will live for the next few years rather than being disturbed 4 months from now. I'll keep it out of the worst of the winter freeze this winter and see what spring brings...

I'm pretty excited about this one though :D

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Procrastinating a bit today so decided to defoliate the tree I collected back in November to take better stock.

20210118_094906.jpg 20210118_094954.jpg 20210118_095023.jpg 20210118_095049.jpg

Shingle oak keep their dead leaves all winter. I went through and snipped them all off. There were a couple of broken branches from collection as well that I also snipped off.

There was one larger crossing branch that I snipped as well. I filed off some of the bark to get to the cambium and there was healthy looking green there. Also, except for the odd twig here and there, the branches still feel pliable and healthy. There were a few brittle twigs typical of die back, but the bulk of the tree looks fine so far.

It's way to early to tell if it will live or die yet. And oaks are late budders so everything will be green before these guys anyway :( But so far there is some promising signs.

It is currently in the garage but sitting close to the outside wall. It's gotten below 40F a couple of nights but mostly it's hanging out in the low 50F range along with some maples and a couple of chinquapin oak I also harvested in the fall that I hope will pull through this first winter.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm getting antsy over this guy! I want to see leaves!

My virginiania have new leaves already!

20210321_091846.jpg

But maybe they cheat since their evergreens?!? No, wait, my gambelli also have baby leaves already!

20210321_083646.jpg

Wait! Maybe it's because the virginiana wintered in the garage? No, that can't be it either. I wintered this guy in the garage to avoid hard freezes since it was harvested in November. It sat most the winter not 10' from the virginiana. And the gambelii spent most the winter outside! We'll, except for the week where we had sub 0F temps...then it was in the garage.

Sigh...maybe it's just because imbricaria is a stubborn native oak! Yeah, I'll go with that...it's a stubborn native!

In all seriousness, this tree has been outside again for about a month now. I've been watching it regularly and poking at it to try and see if it's still alive. I've been watching buds on these when I go on nature walks to compare to mine. I'm noticed the wild trees are starting to sheen up a little bit...maybe even swell some. I broke a few of last years leaves off a few wild trees (they keep the dead leaves all winter) and noticed bright, live green where the petiole attached.

I should have done this when I first moved it outside, but I didn't. So now I'm just going to document with pictures the current state of a few buds so I can watch for signs of life!

20210321_085554.jpg 20210321_085721.jpg 20210321_085907.jpg

These are from this tree. I broke an old petiole stub off...remember, I snipped all the dead foliage back in January to see the tree better, but I left the petioles attached. The one I broke of had nice lush green under it :) Most of the buds also have a nice sheen to them. Dead buds are usually shriveled and dry looking. I couldn't find many buds that I was sure were dead and I couldn't get cell phone pictures of the ones I did find because the camera wouldn't focus.

But this is more about the living! Or the presumed living in this case ;)

I've moved this tree from behind some landscaping where it's been the past month out onto the deck where it can get full sun from dawn until sometime after 3PM. And now I have pictures to compare to so I can see if this thing really is alive. Our native oaks are some of the last trees to wake up so I don't really expect to see leaves until possibly May.

Attachments

• 20210321_090701.jpg
    20210321_090701.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 18

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...a couple of nice warm days and a little rain and boom!

20210429_063107.jpg 20210429_063115.jpg 20210429_063127.jpg

I'm surprised by the number of dormant buds popping given that I didn't "chop" anything. I see live buds at/near the ends of pretty much every branch so it doesn't look like there'll be much die back from collection :)

I'm looking forward to a nice little oak bush in a couple of weeks :D

20210429_063159.jpg

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...and now it's a bush!

20210512_184006.jpg 20210512_184013.jpg

It's growing rather robustly :D. I sooo want to chop a few branches back!

I'm not going to do it yet, though. I have a little concern yet in that some of the upper branches look like they might be having a bit of a hard time sucking up water.

20210512_184021.jpg

Not sure it shows well in that picture, but that branch and a few others often have that...wilty, bendy look. After I water it at night, they stand back up straight again by morning.

It gets pretty windy this time of year up on my deck. But the spring has been cool overall so far. We'll see what happens once the 80F temps kick back in. For now, the tree needs it's food engines!

If it starts to struggle as the temps climb, I may have to make some decisions, though.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a couple bagworms on this tree over the past week. Sorry, no pictures :( I didn't have my phone with me at the time so I just plucked the leaves and smashed them. But, I thought it prudent to give the tree some love and look for any I missed and other potential problems.

I started at the bottom. I pushed some of the lose soil away to look a little closer at the nebari region.

20210627_092804.jpg

There is a big horizontal hunk of root under there still. I really want to get a better idea of what that thing looks like as it was mostly wrapped in clay that I didn't want to break off and damage more roots at collection time. I could feel it under there while poking around in the soil with the skewers though.

We've gotten a decent amount of rain over the past few days so I also took the opportunity to try and loosen up the clay from collection a little more. I took a pair of kabob skewers and poked them deep into the soil to break up the clay. Whatever clay stuck and came out on the skewers, I removed entirely. I also poked into some cut roots from collection that I was also able to remove.

20210627_092836.jpg

One of the cut roots had some nice callous!

20210627_092845.jpg

I think that's a root from this tree that I managed to double cut somehow.

After some soil work, I made a close inspection of all the foliage for insect issues. Some chew holes here and there...but generally, the tree looks very healthy :)

I had no intention of any sort of pruning/styling on this tree this year. Some branches are having a small second flush though

20210627_093230.jpg

and some branches were growing too long for where I currently have the tree placed.

20210627_092814.jpg

So, I did a little trimming. But very little.

20210627_093755.jpg

All in all, this tree is looking very nice! It's taking the heat nicely. I'm starting to relax that it has survived collection and seems to be out of danger :D

I'll still wait until I can cut the dead leaves off this fall/winter to make a serious plan. But, if I can get the leaves to reduce, this could be a nice little tree :D

20210627_093624.jpg

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This guy survived the heat quite well :)

20210907_173811.jpg

And look at this guy just chillin' :D

20210907_173738.jpg

I'm kinda looking forward to defoliating this guy again come winter...they hold their leaves all winter even though they turn brown. But once they are good and dead, I'll trim them at the petiols so I can get a better view of the bones. I'm thinking it's time to start dealing with crossing branches, etc...

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fall update.

Pretty well dormant now.

20211105_152816.jpg

The dead leaves will hang out all winter on this species if I let them. I'll leave them be until mid/late winter. Then, hopefully, I'll have a little time to snip them all off and look at removing dead twigs and cleaning up the structure. Until then, Gus looks pretty comfortable...I let him take a little winter nap ;)

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like grow bags. They come in lots of sizes, it's hard to overwater in them and they last a goodly amount of time...except the do rip sometimes. Usually when I try to pick up a bag that has frozen to the ground. Which is what happened with this one :(

20220430_135514.jpg

That happened sometime back in March when I went to move it for some reason or another and it was frozen to the ground. Now that the spring winds have whipped off most of last season's dead leaves, I thought I'd go ahead and put this into another bag, check on the roots and do some cleanup pruning.

Things were much better than I expected! There were some larger roots wrapping around the bottom.

20220430_135807.jpg

And lots of fine feeders throughout

20220430_140450.jpg

The tree was collected from mud so I know all the roots in NAPA are new growth since collection. Not bad at all for one growing season post collection :D

Since the roots looked to be prolific and healthy, I made the decision to start poking at the edges of the mud layer to start cleaning off collection dirt. I knew there were some longer thick root stubs from collection too...I thought I might be able to whack them back an inch or two and start working back towards a root ball I can eventually pot!

This is the sort of mud from collection that is layered in there between two layers of NAPA.

20220430_140522.jpg

I didn't mean to do much more than start loosening up the collection soil...but I got carried away :(

20220430_143359.jpg

I really didn't mean to go that far. On the one hand, it feels good to be rid of all the mud...plus I got out the intended pot and was able to take stock of what needs to happen to get it to fit...but, on the other hand, I ended up taking way more roots than I intended. Given that it had way fewer fine feeders post collection, it should be fine. However, I feel that oaks need some time post root work to heal and re-establish a mycorrhizal relationship for optimum water/nutrient uptake. Fall work feels like better timing for this reason. But oaks wake up late...so it should have a month or so to get itself worked out before it'll want to be pushing new growth.

I was able to get the roots down to one large chunky root that will need to go before it will fit in the intended pot.

20220430_143430.jpg

Unfortunately, most of the remaining roots emanate from beyond where I would need to cut to get the root ball shallow enough to fit in the pot. The good news is that there are a number of roots forming ahead of the desired cut point.

20220430_143449.jpg

So, hopefully, it's just a matter of a year or two of new growth before I can cut the knob I need to off.

I put the tree back into a 5 gallon grow bag...but I set the tree so the bag is filled only about half way.

20220430_144521.jpg

The soil is mostly NAPA with maybe 20% chunky coconut coir to add structure and provide some organics for mycorrhiza to grow on. I've gotten mushrooms in planted oaks with this mixture in the past. I did mix in some slow release fertilizer into the top of the soil as well. And then everything was topped with a layer of chunky coconut coir about an inch deep.

While I had the tree out, I did do the intended cleanup prune. I took out most of the deadwood and die back. Some of the nubs I had left long at collection got trimmed back and cleaned up a bit. And I took off most of the leader buds. Partly to slow extension after the heavier than intended root work and partly to start forcing more branching. Most of this work was at the tips. There was only one branch that was getting significantly out of proportion for the tree that I took back several inches.

Gus was happy to get back to work watching over the tree.

20220430_151736.jpg

I did take a picture of the pot I'm working to get this tree into, but it was muddy and gross from my working to see how to eventually fit the tree into it. There are better pictures here if anyone cares...

...and now we wait to see if I killed it!

Top Bottom