5yr Native Tree Challenge - Dingus's rhus aromatica (Fragrant Sumac)

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I missed the show :(

20211105_144534.jpg

I was really looking forward to that one in color in that pot. It doesn't show well in that picture but there are some nice teal blobs on that pot that I wanted to see against the fall color. Oh well...next year.

I do really like this tree though! It's filled in the pot rather solidly and may even need a repot already. They guys are used for erosion control because of the fine mesh of roots they can quickly lay down.

All the branch tips are laden up with male flower buds all ready to burst out in early spring...except that I fully intend to cut back about 1/3 of the canopy before that! That may be looking too far ahead though. It has to survive its first winter in a tiny pot AND a mid winter move to a zone colder first.

The other half of the original plant is also doing well.

20211105_144345.jpg 20211105_144357.jpg

Poor pictures, but it was in a more sheltered location so it still has a bit of fall color. I'm still debating what to do with this one. I like the idea of cascading out of that @sorce pot but the way the buds grow straight up and are too tender to wire when very young makes me think it might not be feasible. Maybe I grow it upside down for a year or two first??

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One dead (my favorite one!)

20220527_160424.jpg

I blame the pot (not the potter!) It sat all winter right next to this one (which is still alive and well)

20220527_152334 (1).jpg

The healthy one is potted very shallow as well...but technically does have more soil. My best guess is the smaller soil volume in the pot dried out faster/more than the larger soil volume of the grow bag and the roots desiccated.

That's too bad...I liked that little guy!

I like the living one too...but I'm less sure on where to go with it. It'll just sit for a bit while I attend to other matters...

Top Bottom