5yr Native Tree Challenge - English Oak

essdoesbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
This comes at a perfect time because I've literally just collected loads of acorns in the hope of germinating. Should be easy enough right?

What more native than the English Oak? Often seen as a national emblem!

I also came across a couple of Turkish Oaks which aren't native but we're introduced to the UK in the 18th Century. Hoping to grow one or two alongside this challenge.

I'm planning to grow them indoors for a year and then plant and tend to them in my mum's/friends gardens 😅 in 2-3 years time I'll be moving house WITH A GARDEN and I'll move them then.

If you don't know what acorns look like I've attached some pictures :p The hairy one is the Turkish Acorn!

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_093155_509.jpg
    IMG_20200917_093155_509.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200917_093155_522.jpg
    IMG_20200917_093155_522.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200917_093155_508.jpg
    IMG_20200917_093155_508.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 20

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
More power to you, planting from seed. They aren't native in my region, but we have a beautiful oak in the yard of the new house we're moving into. My middle daughter and I are keeping an eye out for good planting acorns the squirrels haven't gotten yet. She says she doesn't care about bonsai, but she sure doesn't act like it.

essdoesbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
More power to you, planting from seed. They aren't native in my region, but we have a beautiful oak in the yard of the new house we're moving into. My middle daughter and I are keeping an eye out for good planting acorns the squirrels haven't gotten yet. She says she doesn't care about bonsai, but she sure doesn't act like it.
Once I get past germination I'll be happy :) Oak Trees are majestic. I've just been away in Devon where they are in abundance in really strange, but natural settings. It has made me rethink how an Oak Tree should look like.

If you manage to get a good acorn and get a sapling, I'm sure your daughter will be hooked.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm not saying stop growing the acorns, or English Oaks, but choose something faster growing for the challenge. Years in English Oaks is the opposite of dog years. And, they grow even slower in a pot. Alternately, buy or collect an older specimen and refine it for five years!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Acorns of most temperate oaks, need to be stratified at temperatures 0 to +4 C, for at least 2 or 3 months. I put acorns in a plastic bag, with moist sphagnum in the refrigerator. It is very normal for the acorn to sprout a root immediately when put into cold moist stratification. This does not mean it is ready to grow. The root then "stalls", stays dormant until the stratification cycle is complete. Toward spring the root will begin growing again. You can "hold" the germinating acorns in the refrigerator until it is safe to plant outside. I've held germinating seed as much as 6 months. You don't need to panic the minute you notice growth, kept cold they will sit more or less dormant.

Plant out in full sun in spring.

essdoesbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Acorns of most temperate oaks, need to be stratified at temperatures 0 to +4 C, for at least 2 or 3 months. I put acorns in a plastic bag, with moist sphagnum in the refrigerator. It is very normal for the acorn to sprout a root immediately when put into cold moist stratification. This does not mean it is ready to grow. The root then "stalls", stays dormant until the stratification cycle is complete. Toward spring the root will begin growing again. You can "hold" the germinating acorns in the refrigerator until it is safe to plant outside. I've held germinating seed as much as 6 months. You don't need to panic the minute you notice growth, kept cold they will sit more or less dormant.

Plant out in full sun in spring.
That's great to know thank you.

Top Bottom