IMG_6872.jpg
seedlings first year Oct 2019
IMG_9433.jpg
Sept 2020
IMG_0671.jpgIMG_0672.jpgIMG_0673.jpgIMG_0676.jpg
March 2021 - 7 trees through a tile
IMG_0064.JPGIMG_0062.JPG
Sept 2021 - 7 trees through tile and 3 trees

In March of 2022 the 7 trees through the tile were cut from the tile. One had died. The 3 trees from the yellow pot were added to a tan plastic rectangular trainer for a total of 9.

IMG_5867.JPG
March 2023 - 9 tree forest

Attachments

• IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 57

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Did the tile work and improve the roots?
You know I went back to my files and I didn’t take a picture as I removed it from the tile in 2022. Here’s the potted picture from March ‘22. I’ll have to document the root pad when I repot in the spring.

IMG_1254~photo-full.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve been toying with the idea of an acer rubrum forest for a while and this convinced me to give it a shot. Do you think that long internode distance on the trunks will have any negative impact down the road?

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I’m finding that these back bud very well. The trunks grew pretty vigorously but the branches have fine internodes. In the trunks where I transitioned direction and the second segment grew a long internode there are buds as the base of that juncture. Depending on the growth this spring I may be able to grow a new shorter section. Germinate a bunch of seedlings and be more selective on the ones you choose that meet your requirements for internode length.

Next year I’m going to work on defoliating the large outer leaves progressively between post flush harden and June to give the inner leaves more light. I love the leaf shape and when they get fall color it’s spectacular.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I’ve been toying with the idea of an acer rubrum forest for a while and this convinced me to give it a shot. Do you think that long internode distance on the trunks will have any negative impact down the road?
An example of working with the Rubrum and strong spring growth/ long internodes. IMG_8528.jpeg
Top section with long internode
New pieces grew later in the spring with shorter internodes and less coarse growth.

IMG_8527.jpeg IMG_8529.jpeg

Branch tips with really short internodes.

IMG_8530.jpeg IMG_8531.jpeg

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
An example of working with the Rubrum and strong spring growth/ long internodes. View attachment 519103
Top section with long internode
New pieces grew later in the spring with shorter internodes and less coarse growth.

View attachment 519102 View attachment 519104

Branch tips with really short internodes.

View attachment 519105 View attachment 519106
I've noticed the same thing with my Rubrum x Silver maple hybrids - 2-3" long internodes from first spring flush, followed by some nice tight second flush internodes. The forest is coming along nicely!

Top Bottom