5yr native tree challenge - Leatherbacks Prunus Spinoza

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So.. Over the weekend I found a few small blackthorn in a hedge threatened to be chopped down by a maintenance crew. They came with me.
This being a difficult species to collect, and for the species a bad time, I doubt they will wake up come spring. But.. These are my contenders
Nov2020-3.jpgNov2020-4.jpgNov2020-5.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The rootbulb is not joking around. I mean, the main plant is also pushing, but is not showing he enthusiasm of this bit, which is on its way to becoming the better tree!

View attachment 374495

That Root Cutting is going to be fantastic!! E

What type of shoulder angle(s) are you planning on utilizing throughout?!

I guess that depends on how large you plan to go.

Really interesting specimen, Jelle

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like when you decide, during branch-setting, what “shape” your branches will take when leaving the trunk.
Not there yet. I am still at the stage of hoping it will root. It has me not fooled! It is NOT rooting yet. The growth is there, so all signs are green. But only once summer has come and gone will I trust the tanuki that collected plants are.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Not there yet. I am still at the stage of hoping it will root. It has me not fooled! It is NOT rooting yet. The growth is there, so all signs are green. But only once summer has come and gone will I trust the tanuki that collected plants are.
Ahh!! Root cuttings have done that to me too.. as well as Amelanchier, a few Beeches and Elderberry.

How are you, friend?

Keeping your gray matter active and healthy.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:eek:
Mr Potatoe is stew.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m sorry, friend.

Do you think this is because of the large wound, and how susceptible prunus is to fungal issues caused by this?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m sorry, friend.

Do you think this is because of the large wound, and how susceptible prunus is to fungal issues caused by this?
I prefer roasted potatoes. So it was too much sun, and the fact that it was an upsidedown root did not help. And me repotting twice was for sure grwat too

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I prefer roasted potatoes. So it was too much sun, and the fact that it was an upsidedown root did not help. And me repotting twice was for sure grwat too
Ahh! So many possibilities, hard to “trace the EXACT cause”?

Either way, the potato will be missed.

🤓

Top Bottom