5yr native tree challenge - Tsuga canadensis, aka eastern hemlock

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dug 3/3/2021 put one in the ground and one in a box.

Attachments

• IMG_20210303_162743888_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210303_162743888_MP.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20210303_162921439_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210303_162921439_HDR.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20210310_141202332_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210310_141202332_HDR.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20210310_141149880_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210310_141149880_HDR.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 113

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one grew very well this season. I chose to cut it back pretty hard to take advantage of the rest of the growing season to heal the cuts.
1627073962285.png
Plan was to leave it alone for the season but... it felt like it was ready. Plan to wire this fall. The other in the ground is lagging behind a bit.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This one grew very well this season. I chose to cut it back pretty hard to take advantage of the rest of the growing season to heal the cuts.
View attachment 387852
Plan was to leave it alone for the season but... it felt like it was ready. Plan to wire this fall. The other in the ground is lagging behind a bit.
Looking good. I like the Mother Daughter twin trunk thing you have going on.

Again apologies for crashing your thread earlier, if admin (@Bonsai Nut) could remove my earlier posts.

What kind of mix did you use when you boxed it up? Yours looks healthy, but I have really been pushing development using a Boonish mix plus some extra organics and some high nitrogen agriform fert tabs. You have a great start, by starting with good material and impressive equipment for collecting.
One other tip for developing Eastern Hemlock that I have figured out is: to stimulate back budding, let it grow all growing season with minimal cutting. Then trim back vigorously over the winter. You can’t expect back-buds on old wood, but you can get some back to where the needles were recently.
If I were in the 5 yr contest I would first address roots and design as you have, then I would do Winter trimming for a couple years as described, and then for the last year or two before the deadline, I would “pinch” or continuously cut through the growing season, in order to develop some density before the deadline. Not too dense though, your boxed tree is too elegant to go poodle style.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are growing well. Sorry I missed your previous post. The one in the box is in DE. I had to check my notes. The fancy tree digger of my friend's was nice but not too precise. Next time I will dig by hand as I really missed the roots. I thought I had a ton of fine feeder root until working on them to find those pretty fine white roots were all weeds and very few attached to the trees.

I left a lot of the field soil/clay on the boxed one after nearly bare rooting the first one I put in the ground and panic set in thinking they would never make it. I still can't see a tree in the one in the ground but I too like the boxed one very much.

I appreciate you pruning tips. The boxed one is getting shaggy and I was going to trim soon. I'm rethinking as I may try to repot next spring to go after the clay and see what roots have developed or may give it another year in this box/soil as it seems very healthy.
1657288776655.jpeg
1657288815076.jpeg
They both have pushed a second flush and these white striped needles developed recently.
1657288932100.jpeg
The one in the ground developed a lot of cones. I still don't have a plan for it other than build health and roots.
1657289061355.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking good; Nice to see the strength developing. I think you’ll be ready for cutback and styling this fall/winter.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few days after the last post in July I thinned out the tree again. Especially the outer branches and apex. Now that the heat of summer has past a third flush it popping out now. It has a surprising amount of new growth on old wood and trunk as well. I know this isn't what MrFancy recommends but...
Going to get some wire this winter.
1662304959262.jpeg
Each cut end now has 2 new shoots.
1662305040997.jpeg
This is what was trimmed off in July.
1662305081462.jpeg
Wire this fall and maybe go after that clay in the roots next spring.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A few days after the last post in July I thinned out the tree again. Especially the outer branches and apex. Now that the heat of summer has past a third flush it popping out now. It has a surprising amount of new growth on old wood and trunk as well. I know this isn't what MrFancy recommends but...
View attachment 454428
View attachment 454429
View attachment 454430
Looks great; I rarely get through the summer without some cutbacks even when I am trying to stick to a schedule.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 454428
View attachment 454429
View attachment 454430
Would love to see a repotting video of it. I know video recording is not for everyone, but if you video yours, I’ll try to get one of me repotting Depot, Spring ‘24.
Or a progression might be more reasonable?

You still have some years for the contest left, I think you have a pretty good shot at it if anyone is taking notes, I’d love to see some other candidate threads. What if you repotted into an Anderson and let it escape for a couple years, but planted shallow. Then shift it to a slab or a super wide oval, right before the 5 years is up?

Last edited:

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I couldn't take the milk crate so I put a hollow log. My native pot. LOL
I thought I posted it already. I worried about the double trouble but, it was done w/in days of the first repot.

Responded well so I pushed my luck and cut back pretty hard at the second flush early summer. I was rewarded with a lot of back buds and a 3rd flush.
1692026556779.jpeg
1692026395300.jpeg1692026426426.jpeg

TreeNoob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This looks great. Being new, it’s really cool reading/ seeing the progression. I have been collecting native seedlings that have popped up around my fence and yard but would love to do something like this after I can see whether I can keep the little guys alive. Is spring the best time to collect?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This looks great. Being new, it’s really cool reading/ seeing the progression. I have been collecting native seedlings that have popped up around my fence and yard but would love to do something like this after I can see whether I can keep the little guys alive. Is spring the best time to collect?

Yes. There's a whole secrion of this website dedicated to collecting and importing. I recommend you head over there and take a look at some old threads to see what others have done. It's a wealth of information.

TreeNoob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes. There's a whole secrion of this website dedicated to collecting and importing. I recommend you head over there and take a look at some old threads to see what others have done. It's a wealth of information.
Thanks, slowly finding my way around the threads. Forums, trees, it’s all new to me. 😅 Trying to figure out key words when I use the search bar.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Being new, it’s really cool reading/ seeing the progression.
Thanks Noob. Progressions are the best part of the site. IMO His brother will be dug and potted up in early Spring as it's really healthy now. I was worried a couple years ago it didn't have enough roots. I'm anxious to see them next year.
1692715023381.jpeg
1692715101800.jpeg

Top Bottom