5yr Native tree Challenge - Wit Stinkhout (Celtis Africana)

Stella

Sapling
Reaction score
Our Climate - warm and dry
summer ranging from 28-45 Celsius - Oct - April
winter ranging from 3-15 Celsius - May - July ( the very cold season is really very short. also no snow)
spring and autumn about non existent - goes from cold to hot in a day or 2 and other way around
I'm is a summer rainfall area

Tree:
Deciduous tree
Native to large parts of Southern Africa (south of the sahara down to us in South Africa)
Sapling that sprouted in my garden
June 2020 my 6 year old did a dramatic trunk chop - luckily and thankfully at a decent and usable height (I would have loved the trunk chop to be a higher up)
Aug 2020 we dug it up and got into a training pot.
did some wiring to new shoots over the growing season and sadly my new leader shoot died.
Now i have a nice trunk with 2 branches - I am really hoping that I get some nice new buds this spring so I can have a leader branch

We are heading into winter now, so no work will be done in the next 3 months.
It will not be repotted this coming spring and I want to mostly leave it to grow this season, and just remove unwanted shoots

Pictures to follow

Stella

Sapling
Reaction score
Here is photos of the tree now. stump at 13cm tall. trunk about 2-3 cm and base about 4-5 cm

Attachments

• 20210522_093854.jpg
    20210522_093854.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210522_094242.jpg
    20210522_094242.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210522_094249.jpg
    20210522_094249.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210522_094303.jpg
    20210522_094303.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 14

LittleDingus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No contest tree for me. I am very new to bonsai so for now I'm just focusing on not killing anything. Maybe next year I'll start showing my projects properly.

That's what's great about this particular challenge: many of us are picking trees less common or out of our comfort zones. I'm newish to bonsai, but not to growing things...but most of what I entered in this challenge is very new to me!

...and personally, I' love to see more African species represented :D

Stella

Sapling
Reaction score
No contest tree for me. I am very new to bonsai so for now I'm just focusing on not killing anything. Maybe next year I'll start showing my projects properly.
this is the perfect place to start expanding your knowledge. this is a 5 year thing. even if you enter the very 1st tree you touch this will be an amazing project. everyone is starting with raw material, and in another 2 year from now you will know a lot more then this project is only halfway.
and the nice this about this one, with native trees, you can probably get saplings out of your garden

no need to put in to much effort in trying to show thing properly. the gain is in the process. the show pic at the end is the tiniest part of this challenge

I've started doing bonsai 2 years ago. so also very new but love challenges like this as their is so many experts on these forums that really gives good advise and options that is new perspectives that you do not have at your club.

Top Bottom