5yr Native Tree Challenge - Zanduh’s Lonicera sempervirens (Trumpet Honeysuckle)

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Unlike the invasive asian honeysuckles, the trumpet honeysuckle is native to our area and I can find this woody vine on a lot of hikes that I do here and in neighboring states. The red flowers are great for attracting humming birds, bees, and butterflies.

00D31591-C7BD-41BC-B9AC-C121D1141261.jpeg
E4A9AC35-8934-4A9B-BD42-1DA4326D74C1.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Unlike the invasive asian honeysuckles, the trumpet honeysuckle is native to our area and I can find this woody vine on a lot of hikes that I do here and in neighboring states. The red flowers are great for attracting humming birds, bees, and butterflies.

View attachment 394094
View attachment 394095
Nice!!

I’ve been working some native Lonicera... they have a different.. “flow”.. or “series of events”..

I’ve also been working with Lonicera’s cousin, Symphiocarpus Albus.. or snowberry... they both behave almost exactly the same...

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any suggestions on a good repotting/root work time? Since their flowering period is later I think I should treat it more like a normal deciduous and repot in the early spring. Being a fast growing vine I think I should be fine doing some major cutting back down the road.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Any suggestions on a good repotting/root work time? Since their flowering period is later I think I should treat it more like a normal deciduous and repot in the early spring. Being a fast growing vine I think I should be fine doing some major cutting back down the road.
Any root disruption, I have done in spring/late winter.

Be careful, Lonicera in the wild will kill off competing “leaders”.. so I assume this happens in pots, too.

But overall, they have been seen to withstand SUBSTANTIAL abuse.

Seems like your “thinking” process is arranged correctly.

🤓

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Quick Update: The leader vines are growing pretty rapidly so i’ve had to put in taller tomato stakes to keep the vines growing upward since they started growing over 2 feet horizontally and were wrapping around nearby bonsai branches. Also coming in really quickly was the first new set of coral flowers that were not at all present when I picked up this vine a couple weeks ago.

8F522EF5-A039-405F-A825-52E8C8F7E9FB.jpegE054AA93-459E-404C-BD2E-79888A502C28.jpeg

Top Bottom