5yr Native Tree, Native Pot Challenge Jmontee's Gumbo Limbo (Bursera simaruba)

Jmontee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, so here's my entry. I live in Miami so gumbo limbo is about as native as you can get. LOL I initially collected this by sawing it away from a large branch that had been cut by landscapers. I literally just planted the large stump with the three main branches coming from the trunk. There was a 4th large branch but I didn't like the position or the fact that it was an even number of large main branches. all of the smaller branches with leaves were grown from the main ones since I potted it in May 2021. I am currently working on getting lots of ramification and going for an African style like Pierneef or baobab style. I just recently defoliated and wired a bit. Haven't picked out a pot yet but will do that in the next year or two. Here are some pics:

20220509_182908.jpg20220602_181918.jpg20220602_181937.jpg20220602_181946.jpg20220602_182002.jpg

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice!
I’m trying a couple of these too they seem tough and the bark looks cool so if we can get them to ramify a bit they should be interesting

Zelrod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm excited to see where you take your Gumbo Limbo. They are super interesting but the compound leaf always scared me to work with as a bonsai :D.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a few I’m working on.
None as nice as the one @Jmontee posted here though.
But it shouldn’t take too many years to get something interesting. They grow quickly and are tough.

Top Bottom