5yr Native Tree & Pot Challenge - AcerAddict's Bald Cypress (Taxodium distichum)

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oh, why the heck not. Let's do this. My BC was purchased from a local nursery by me a month or two ago. They are native to North Carolina and grow all over the place around here. It's currently in a 15 gallon nursery pot, but will be getting a trunk chop and root reduction early next year before going into a wood box for training.

I figure five years from now when we're nearing the end of the competition, it'll be ready for a @sorce pot with some sort of outlandish design on the side of it. 😆

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 77

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Almost 2 years have passed since I first entered this Bald Cypress in the 5-Year Native Tree Challenge. I'm a year behind on an update because I thought for a while last summer that I wanted to put it into the ground as a landscape tree. During my indecisiveness, I moved it last year from the original 15-gallon nursery pot into a 25-gallon, where it still resides now. I finally decided to go ahead with making it a bonsai earlier this summer and chopped the trunk. Numerous new shoots have grown out since then. I fertilize every couple months and keep the soil very moist always since Bald Cypress love water.

The plan now is to leave it alone until early next year. After it greens up in the spring, I'll do a major root ball reduction and move it into a 7-gallon training pot that I made from a Tractor Supply Company horse feed bowl (link here).

Photo is from today.

Attachments

• 20230913_123719.jpg
    20230913_123719.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Top Bottom