6” Ming aralia project

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I dont like much the one with compound leaf, but I like the Polyscias scutellaria "Fabian" it make interesting trunks and the leaf can be reduced nicely
l5jr17ksatlpnnooo8j47j8ptqbl2qspoiv0je9e_big.jpg
187815760_max.jpg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I dont like much the one with compound leaf, but I like the Polyscias scutellaria "Fabian" it make interesting trunks and the leaf can be reduced nicely
View attachment 430780
View attachment 430781
Yeah, the Fabian is cool too! I have one of these, but believe it’s called it quits. I don’t think it liked its vertical shoots pulled down and around.

TreeJunkie

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow! yeah, you got to it!🤣
Aralia likes to knuckle and bulge it seems. It will be interesting to see how it responds!
I left a lot of nubs and stubs erring on the side of caution. Should i take them flat to the trunk?

One thing i found is it does not like to be wired/bent much

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I left a lot of nubs and stubs erring on the side of caution. Should i take them flat to the trunk?

One thing i found is it does not like to be wired/bent much
I would leave them. It kind of adds to the natural look of these.

DeeJay

Sapling
Reaction score
So the evergreens and shrubs aren’t quite out at the nursery. So I picked up this little group.
View attachment 360949
This was one of those 6” tropicals where you get 4 plants.
I separated the 4 plants and noticed how long the taproots where. As there were many fine roots attached all along, I cut less and opted for a deeper pot than I wanted to use. View attachment 360950
The 4. After slight root prune.
View attachment 360952View attachment 360953View attachment 360956View attachment 360954
Positioned them in the pot with wire.
I used the original peaty Barky soil mixed with some pumice, lava, calcined clay. It seams that these plant prefer moist conditions.
View attachment 360955
I think the tree at left could be shortened, but I liked the curves.
As always, hope it lives. 😁
Looks good!

urekko

Seed
Reaction score
I have a Ming in my kitchen window. 2”View attachment 430730 pot water every few days seems happy. I hardly have done a thing since I bought it last summer for 15 bucks, clipped a bunch off it and stuffed it in a wee pot.
This is beautiful! How is it doing now?

urekko

Seed
Reaction score
Ours is looking a little unhappy. I think it's because we finally turned on the AC after Junuary ended (we're in New England). We are misting the leaves quite a bit. Any advice? Is it possible to over-mist?

Attachments

• PXL_20230725_204731510.jpg
    PXL_20230725_204731510.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom