6 year Pine Contest question

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I did the cutting technique on 10 Short leaf pines and still have 8 of them. Now if I can get them through the winter.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have any other Scots pine nearby? I have found that pines grouped tegether produce a lot more viable seed.
Where I used to live the cones were everywhere in the yard.
They turned into little woody missiles when you hit them with the lawnmower. The people who own it now probably wouldn't mind if a couple hundred were picked up before they cut the grass.
I also know of a Christmas tree plantation that was let go and the grounds littered.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are those JBP cones? Jonas writes in his blog that waiting to harvest until the cones are brown and open is too late. Probably because most of the seeds are already released by that point. He recommends getting the unopened ones that are green to purple colored and drying them yourself between two soil screens for example. It takes a week or two but you have much better chances of getting higher quality/quantity of seeds from the cone.
I'm going to collect some Jack pine cones too.
They don't open until heated though. 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What will be your method for heating them?

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well now that we have this thread going for pine questions, I have another one. I received my seeds in the mail today and we obviously can't start on them until January. I know that to store seeds, the freezer is the best place. However since that technically is cold stratifying them early, where else can I store these until then to ensure they still germinate?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well now that we have this thread going for pine questions, I have another one. I received my seeds in the mail today and we obviously can't start on them until January. I know that to store seeds, the freezer is the best place. However since that technically is cold stratifying them early, where else can I store these until then to ensure they still germinate?

You should NOT freeze them! I am just leaving my sitting out on the countertop - albeit in a cooler spot of the house. It is only going to be about 6 weeks. The important thing is to keep them dry and cool... not hot or humid. You also want the temperature to be as constant as possible. If you have a refrigerator that people are constantly opening and closing the door on - it is better to leave them out.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You should NOT freeze them! I am just leaving my sitting out on the countertop - albeit in a cooler spot of the house. It is only going to be about 6 weeks. The important thing is to keep them dry and cool... not hot or humid. You also want the temperature to be as constant as possible. If you have a refrigerator that people are constantly opening and closing the door on - it is better to leave them out.
Thank you!

Yeah I definitely didn't put them in the freezer! I put them out on the counter while I got an answer so I guess I'll just keep them there!

Can't wait!

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And by the way... just because you CAN start on Jan 1 doesn't mean you SHOULD start on Jan 1. You only need 30 days cold stratification so make sure you are ready to plant in early Feb. Once the seeds start to germinate you can't stop them - they need to go in the potting media. I don't know what the weather is like in Dallas in February but they can't freeze or you'll have to start all over.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I actually plan on sowing half right away and stratifying the other to see what works better.

Would you suggest 30 days in the fridge or freezer? I did 30 days for some coast redwoods in the fridge and most of them germinated.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No freezer :) You don't want anything to freeze at any time :)

Cold stratification for Japanese Black Pine is typically 30 days at 40 degrees. Keep an eye on your seeds because you never know how they will respond to stratification. Some may start to germination before 30 days. If you see them starting to germinate, that is the sign to remove them all and put them in soil, even if you haven't stratified them the whole 30 days. If you stratify them for 30 days and you don't see any germination, that is no reason to panic, just go ahead and plant them.

Reaction score
So, when is it supposed to be a good time to start sowing? My winter is very mild and may be compared to a late spring for most of you guys here on the forum... my coldest month is February with a mean average low temperature around 11-12 C (~50F). So if start stratifying on January the 1st and wait 30 days, do you think I can sow them early February? I want to make the most of my long growing season...

Thinking about it now, I might start stratifying a batch and sow another batch directly on January 1st. What do you think?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So, when is it supposed to be a good time to start sowing? My winter is very mild and may be compared to a late spring for most of you guys here on the forum... my coldest month is February with a mean average low temperature around 11-12 C (~50F). So if start stratifying on January the 1st and wait 30 days, do you think I can sow them early February? I want to make the most of my long growing season...

Thinking about it now, I might start stratifying a batch and sow another batch directly on January 1st. What do you think?

You only have to worry about frost. As long as you live in a tropical area, you can sow them in February (as I do) and they will be fine - but they don't really start to grow fast until it gets warm out.

I'll be curious to see if black pines grow faster in areas with longer growing seasons. Right now I would guess not, but it will be interesting to see. I think they are hard-wired genetically to grow so much per year. You can influence their strength through soil, fertilization, water and lighting... but I don't think if they get a longer summer they will grow more. The reason why I think this is that my trees grow fast in the spring, and then they pause in the summer and don't do much of anything. Then they push a little new growth in the fall before they take a rest in the short winter (which for us is Dec 15 - Feb 15). I think I could live in an area with two months less summer and not see much of a difference, personally.

Reaction score
Thanks BNut. I don't think we ever get any frost here. At least not at lower altitude.

Yes it will be very interesting to compare the growth of everybody entering the contest. However, there will be a lot of confounding factors (e.g. fertilization, source of seeds, pot vs ground growing, etc.) that can affect growth rate besides differences in climate or length of growing season alone. Still, an interesting comparison.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No. They're single flush trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
How cool of tempatures can these seedlings comfortably handle? It's going to be in the high 20's-low 30's here for the next few nights and I was wondering if I can bring the seeds out during the day if I bring them in at night. Thanks in advance!

Casey

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So i have about 30 seeds that have breached the surface. Some are over an inch tall and they all still have the husk on them. About how long should it take for them to shed the shell? I'm not worried, just curious.

Casey

Top Bottom