$60 Yard Sale Haul!!!!

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well the pot with the chop between the feet is Touyou, and the other pot with the chop and writing is 3rd generation Yamaaki. Both from the Tokoname region, and each worth at least $60 on their own. If the Yamaaki is the large unglazed banded rectangle in the front left, it is worth a couple hundred. Looks like a couple hundred in wire too. Congrats, it’s a great haul.
Thank you for helping ID some of these!
Is there a handy guide somewhere to help identify the various potters' chops?

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So probably impossible to get any history. Too bad, but quite a haul indeed.
You must have gotten like 6 wire cutters? You make us drool. Like winning a small lottery.

Haha I heard that more wire cutters = more skill!!!! Seriously, not sure what I'll do with all these wire cutters 268680

Yeah, I asked about history (and, of course, if any trees might be around), but the family had no info to pass on. Whomever developed this collection sure seemed to have been a serious bonsai-ist. I'll do my best to make them proud, whoever/wherever they are.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha I heard that more wire cutters = more skill!!!! Seriously, not sure what I'll do with all these wire cutters View attachment 268680

Yeah, I asked about history (and, of course, if any trees might be around), but the family had no info to pass on. Whomever developed this collection sure seemed to have been a serious bonsai-ist. I'll do my best to make them proud, whoever/wherever they are.
It would be helpful if you showed the BOTTOMS of the pots, along with the sides. Maker's "chops" on the bottom help get you a more accurate estimate on what they are. For instance, one photo seems to show a Korean sticker on the bottom of one--that would most likely be a "Tongrae" pot, which are production, not overly valuable, but nice...

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It would be helpful if you showed the BOTTOMS of the pots, along with the sides.

Agreed. Most of the shohin and mame pots do not have marks, other than the occasional "made in Japan", or the Korea one you mentioned. I showed all the marks that I could find, but I was in a bit of a hurry! I hope to update with the medium and large pots tonight, and I think more of those have discernable marks.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed. Most of the shohin and mame pots do not have marks, other than the occasional "made in Japan", or the Korea one you mentioned. I showed all the marks that I could find, but I was in a bit of a hurry! I hope to update with the medium and large pots tonight, and I think more of those have discernable marks.
Even the "Made in Japan" sticker/mark is worth noting, as they can provide date information, not specific "made on" dates on the sticker, but the shape, type and content of the sticker can provide clues to what decade it was imported.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The other Hagedorn pot I acquired in this lot. I found several more larger marked pots as well, will post later if anyone cares to see... I am the luckiest!!2B749757-94AD-495D-AAC7-DBAD525EA4C4.jpegF733E426-0306-45BC-B1E0-BD4E2EAD7CB3.jpeg2D35B573-6BFC-4FE8-B0FC-D1C180340D55.jpeg0B107C35-620A-4F2B-B47A-2C64335CED88.jpegC594C0EE-5AEB-40E5-B00B-9C918BBE264D.jpeg

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, amazing find, i guess you aresety for a while now.....
Congrats!

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
LOL> i was wondering if you were in the forum.. there you are!! :) skip

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Just shows where your $400 signed bonsai pots will go once you pass . This is not as unusual as it might seem. You're surviving relatives are probably not going to farm out your collection of pots, etc. to get the highest bid (unless you are a pretty well known "name" and have connections). More than likely, your valuable pots and other stuff is going to wind up in a garage sale. Squeezing the value out of bonsai pots is not a burden your relatives are going to shoulder, for the most part. That job is pretty much up to the original owner before they depart...Just sayin...

I have been buying and selling art and antiques for about 2 decades, and I can tell you it is this and more. Children often do not have the same exact passions as their parents and often try to find their own hobbies to learn, sometimes they are resentful of the parent's fixation on collecting things and when the time comes, the spouse or kids are not sentimental whatsoever about the decedents raison d'etre.

I've been to so many estate sales now though that I understand the existentialism of a collector. Even if I buy a piece and sell it for a good deal more money, or buy something for myself at a great discount, I think I'm a winner but the other winner was the posthumous owner of the item because he got to own and enjoy his beloved possession until the day of his death and never had to deal with selling, discounting, realizing actual value.

Top Bottom