.63¢ crab apples

Random User

Reaction score
Wow, 63 cents... good thing we don't live near each other, we'd have to have a "cheapo contest"... why is it that the trees that are super cheap and/or sick and need loving', end up being the ones that I/we tend to like the most? They are a lot like owning a beater-truck that simply will NOT let you down, or a really dumb, happy dog that won't stop chasing airplanes... they work their way into a part of our wonderment where nothing else manages to go.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Wow, 63 cents... good thing we don't live near each other, we'd have to have a "cheapo contest"... why is it that the trees that are super cheap and/or sick and need loving', end up being the ones that I/we tend to like the most? They are a lot like owning a beater-truck that simply will NOT let you down, or a really dumb, happy dog that won't stop chasing airplanes... they work their way into a part of our wonderment where nothing else manages to go.
;)

Random User

Reaction score
...but are you cheapo enough, talented enough, and lack enough shame to try to talk a box-store manager lower than the sticker price?... might have to wear a disguise, try working the pity-party angle... lol

Random User

Reaction score
@ Sorce

You might have to have a handicap system like the golfers do... obviously a $3.00 cherry tree wouldn't be up against a $3.00 ficus?... I guess you could always do a tie breaker with a popular vote.

But, it's your contest, just some preliminary thoughts.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The Panama Red pot challenge should fit that Bill.... @Soldano666 and I are trying to get it together...
After Xmas all those red pots are like $5!

Stay tuned!

Sorce
There's that, but I was thinking of doing like a 1 year contest. Trees under 10 dollars, and just see how far we can develop them.

We don't get them fancy red pots where I'm at, everything is in a good Ole black nursery can.

Aaron

Random User

Reaction score
Anything other than black is an odd find here. Trying to finish a tree in 1 year limits the possibilities to choose from. If you want pure cheap, freebies come from deciduous trees that need at least one year to recover from the abuse they have sustained. I'm the King of Cheap with a free Korean maple, free Siberian Larch, and a $15.00 5 gallon Discovery Elm all IN ONE TRIP! lol...

But, I have an unfair advantage, because without me willing to take some of these trees, the garden centres know that they will have to pay someone to shred and compost it... no one else in this area is going to buy a tree that makes really good bonsai-able material.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not even at Xmas?

Yours should be white not black!

Sorce
Nope, not at all, and believe me I know we need white pots, on days when it's 100°f out and 2% humidity...I'll just say the soil isn't very cool lol

Aaron

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
...but are you cheapo enough, talented enough, and lack enough shame to try to talk a box-store manager lower than the sticker price?... might have to wear a disguise, try working the pity-party angle... lol

what is this shame you speak of?

Random User

Reaction score
what is this shame you speak of?

It's that feeling that you get when you fart while serving yourself caviar and champagne, and everyone in the room knows that it was you because you're the only man in sight... the feeling that lingers just for a fleeting second, before the pit-of-the-gut sensation of pure delight and boastful pride sets in!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It's that feeling that you get when you fart while serving yourself caviar and champagne, and everyone in the room knows that it was you because you're the only man in sight... the feeling that lingers just for a fleeting second, before the pit-of-the-gut sensation of pure delight and boastful pride!

poetry

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Things are pushing so early this year. Had to repot this guy. The nebari is surprising fantastic and is a little bit more exaposed here and with the next repot it will be fully viewable. Repotted it in a Yakaichi green pot.0211171033b.jpg 0211171034.jpg 0211171034a.jpg 0211171034b.jpg 0211171034c.jpg

Top Bottom