USDA Zone
7a

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Damn.This guy here got Brussells beat,man
Pretty killer koto uko$1500....he would probably come down...20 minutes from me.Doug Paul.
25539B57-E362-486C-A76E-2D0042C8026E.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those trees are humbling. I would be freaking out caring for a 18k bonsai getting David Carradined.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This came across my FB feed. I expected more thickness on a tree this "old".. Am I wrong??

If this is worth $5,000 I have trees worth $50,000

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This came across my FB feed. I expected more thickness on a tree this "old".. Am I wrong??

l don’t feel it’s worth that money but then its worth it to whoever was willing to pay that. Money is different to different people, for the person who bought that, 5k might have been an amount they don’t bat an eyelid over. Whereas for someone like me 5k would be better spent covering living costs for a while.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Its probably fake news, the owner just want to create some attentions. No one in their right mind will pay $5k for that tree, and even if they have money to burn like that they won't be looking those trees anyway.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Clickbait.

Places like that are the reason why people think bonsai are easy money. All inflated prices :(

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How do you know its actually sold? it could be marketing thing.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do you know its actually sold? it could be marketing thing.
I agree. I am pretty sure it is marketing only.
Someone who is about to spend that sort of money would have a quick peek to see whether this tree would be worth the money.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What about the age of the tree.?. There is no way this tree is 65 yrs.. Right? I see alot tress selling as several decades old and only 1/2 trunk..

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What about the age of the tree.?. There is no way this tree is 65 yrs.. Right? I see alot tress selling as several decades old and only 1/2 trunk..

It's a shimpaku twist grown in that style by humans. Take a shimapku whip, wire it, come back in a couple years and remove the wire. In this case it doesn't even look like it was wired - it might have simply been wrapped around a bamboo stick. Other than that, I can see no real sign of it being styled. If someone asked me, I'd say the tree was perhaps 10 years old(?) 6 years of growing out a cutting, wrap around bamboo, stick in field for four more years.

Reminds me of this:

bamboo.jpg

Not going to comment on the "value" because if someone bought it for that price and they enjoy it - it was worth that much (at least to them).

I was talking to a nurseryman the other day who doesn't ship. He told me that he used to have an arrangement with a woman who would ship his trees. She used to take photos of some of his trees, and list them for 2x retail (plus shipping). If the tree sold, she would give him his full retail price, take the other half for herself, and go through the hassle of packing and shipping. He said she sold a lot of trees.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
what was the argument? That she would offer the trees for sale before she bought them off him?

"Arrangement". Yes... she would offer them for sale before she bought them from him, and only buy them if they sold. Because she was shipping, she was selling to a market outside of the local area, so he benefited by selling more trees.

However I found it interesting... because depending where you live you may be willing to pay a 100% premium for a tree simply because you can't find one in your local market.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
However I found it interesting... because depending where you live you may be willing to pay a 100% premium for a tree simply because you can't find one in your local market.
Or the trader was selling quite cheap.
I know I have a grower in my region who cannot keep up with his stock and is willing to let trees go well below "regular" value, especially if you offer to buy 10 or so. It would be a good deal to buy a car load. Pot them and then sell on.

Top Bottom