70+ trees need good home

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This whole situation is unique, to put it lightly. Would love to see the provenance on the expensive ones... I'm surprised that no one seemed to know these trees were out there.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They would be worth the money they’re asking if they were in good condition. But they’ve been sadly neglected. For a while, it would seem.

Some $4000-5000 maybe near reasonable $70,000, 35,000, 25,000 is NUTS:eek:! Would not consider grafted White Pine ever worth $35,000 regardless of condition, Maybe so IF had own bark even in present condition;).

Fellow bonsai enthusiasts, I bring sad news that one of our fellow bonsai enthusiasts is at the end of his journey in this mortal coil...he might not have ever been a part of this group but a bonsai lover he was...he is passing due to cancer and has 70+ plants...his wife, in her 70s as well, has no idea what there worth and simply posted a single add on her local offer up, I feel so bad for her I’ve been affected by cancer in my family more then a few times as I’m sure a lot of you have been....to try and provide a service for this poor woman and her ailing husband I’m helping her care for her plants and sell them off to make sure she gets what they are worth...if anybody is interested let me know, I’m going over this weekend to take a look at the stock and condition of each plant but from what she says her husband has thousands wrapped up in them and probably has some that are worth some $$ and want to make sure she gets every penny they are worth I would hate to see some con artist low ball her and re sell them for 5x what they paid, I want these sold to individuals who will cherish each one and understand the back story on them...please PM or comment if interested

OP did job of good samaritan and thanks go to him(?)for helping passed collector and heirs but now job has been relieved by others. Personally would suggest they at least deserve reasonable first choice of one tree for their help:).

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some $4000-5000 maybe near reasonable $70,000, 35,000, 25,000 is NUTS:eek:! Would not consider grafted White Pine ever worth $35,000 regardless of condition, Maybe so IF had own bark even in present condition;).

OP did job of good samaritan and thanks go to him(?)for helping passed collector and heirs but now job has been relieved by others. Personally would suggest they at least deserve reasonable first choice of one tree for their help:).
The two really expensive ones are valued for their historical significance more than their value as bonsai. How many trees do you know of that have kept in the US as bonsai for over 100 years?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The two really expensive ones are valued for their historical significance more than their value as bonsai. How many trees do you know of that have kept in the US as bonsai for over 100 years?
Would the seller even consider donating them to a public exhibition? If those trees have been in the U.S. for 100 years, they are an important part of the bonsai heritage here. The seller should definitely consider the Lake Merrit collection. I be the National Bonsai & Penjing Museum in D.C. would be very interested in talking about those trees...
Museum board of directors
https://www.bonsai-nbf.org/directors/

sabstn81

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all,
I would like to point this thread back in the right direction. There is lots of talk about the trees that are posted on Ebay for exuberant prices, but those are not the same trees nor seller for what this thread was intended for. The 70+ trees for this post are in Chino, CA. I was able to stop by this weekend and I picked up some truly nice gems and got to talk to the owner. My understanding is that the collector devoted 30+ years to bonsai and his health is now deteriorating and is unable to give the trees the care they deserve. They are both an elderly couple and she also cannot care for the trees so to their dismay, they need to be sold to people who can care for them. The post that is posted on Offer Up truly does not do the trees justice either so they still have a good amount of trees left. Some are very established and some are smaller pre-bonsai, but there is a wide selection, some rare stuff, and the prices are very fair. The trees can use repotting and a little love, but they are well cared for and are in generally good health so I would recommend anyone near the area to take a look. Here is just one of the several trees that I picked up...

Attachments

• tree 1.jpg
    tree 1.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 229

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I can buy 2000 year old Roman coins for 6.00. Get real!!!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can buy 2000 year old Roman coins for 6.00. Get real!!!
Hey, it was Kathy Shaner who valued them, not me.

I’m just saying that the trees that were in the 1915 Exposition ought to be in a curated place where they can get perpetual care.

The provenance of an item has a huge impact on their value. Your $6 Roman coin would be worth a lot more if it could be proven that it was part of the 30 pieces of silver paid to deliver Jesus to Pontius Pilot. Just sayn’.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi all,
I would like to point this thread back in the right direction. There is lots of talk about the trees that are posted on Ebay for exuberant prices, but those are not the same trees nor seller for what this thread was intended for. The 70+ trees for this post are in Chino, CA. I was able to stop by this weekend and I picked up some truly nice gems and got to talk to the owner. My understanding is that the collector devoted 30+ years to bonsai and his health is now deteriorating and is unable to give the trees the care they deserve. They are both an elderly couple and she also cannot care for the trees so to their dismay, they need to be sold to people who can care for them. The post that is posted on Offer Up truly does not do the trees justice either so they still have a good amount of trees left. Some are very established and some are smaller pre-bonsai, but there is a wide selection, some rare stuff, and the prices are very fair. The trees can use repotting and a little love, but they are well cared for and are in generally good health so I would recommend anyone near the area to take a look. Here is just one of the several trees that I picked up...

Yes thank you for pointing this out, that eBay link is not the same set of trees although those look very nice as well, the one I posted about are indeed in chino California and are been sold through offer up not ebay...thank you so much for the kind words I’m glad I raised enough awareness for her and there being sold to people who care ?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would like to point this thread back in the right direction. There is lots of talk about the trees that are posted on Ebay for exuberant prices, but those are not the same trees nor seller for what this thread was intended for.

I'm confused. So the eBay seller with the $400,000 of bonsai trees is NOT the subject of this thread?

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Kinda makes some of these posts seem gullible.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm confused. So the eBay seller with the $400,000 of bonsai trees is NOT the subject of this thread?

Definitely not the same trees the ones I posted about are being sold locally and on offer up

Kinda makes some of these posts seem gullible.

Not gullible, just misinformed, my apologies for not being more proactive on this thread and steering it in the right direction, I hope everyone is on the same page now ? thank you all for your kind words

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Anson Burlingame Daimyo Oak Is only one personally.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Definitely not the same trees the ones I posted about are being sold locally and on offer up

Not gullible, just misinformed, my apologies for not being more proactive on this thread and steering it in the right direction, I hope everyone is on the same page now ? thank you all for your kind words
It's only after your gullible that you find out you were misinformed......

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
So there are or arent any trees left? Did the local club grab them?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom