70 year old jade made it home....

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are ya planning to do with it?

And how did it come to you after 70 years?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Funny story... my father in law asked me to go for a ride to the mountains to pick up a snowblower long story short I broght my bahhhdy my best friend my beagle cooper with us so when we got to the middle of nowhere my father in law left his keys in the truck forgot about coop cause he sleeps on rides so we got out looked at the blower, loaded the blower and what do you know he locked us out of the truck. Now I'm trying to brake into the truck but didn't have the right tools so this couple invited us in for a cup of coffee and all I could notice was the HEEPING MASSIVE JADE siting there, I never said a word but wow that is a great jade. A couple weeks later I asked my father in law for the number of the couple that he bought the blower from and I asked if I could buy a cutting or so off that tree the wife said if you drive up here. You can have it and ya that's how I ended up with it...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Every turn, every little bump for 2 hours and to not mention. I hit some dirt roads which I literally thought it was gonna either snap inn half or brake but it made it lol and yes just like a bobble head haah

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
20171115_142321.jpg

They are in their final resting spot. The cutting to the right a sawed off a couple branches deciding to keep the lower branch as it looked pretty cool as a cascadeheld up by a stick. I scraped the bottom down to the cambium layer and put my rooting hormone on it and hoping that it roots withn time, I guess time will only tell tho :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
View attachment 167317

They are in their final resting spot. The cutting to the right a sawed off a couple branches deciding to keep the lower branch as it looked pretty cool as a cascadeheld up by a stick. I scraped the bottom down to the cambium layer and put my rooting hormone on it and hoping that it roots withn time, I guess time will only tell tho :)

In the future, jade doesn't need any rooting hormone. Just take any piece that breaks off, let it dry until the wound is dry, and then stick it in good-draining soil like a desert pottery mix you can buy at Home Depot. Too much water is more dangerous than not enough. They enjoy water but you need to let the soil dry completely between waterings - just like most succulents / cacti.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
D
In the future, jade doesn't need any rooting hormone. Just take any piece that breaks off, let it dry until the wound is dry, and then stick it in good-draining soil like a desert pottery mix you can buy at Home Depot. Too much water is more dangerous than not enough. They enjoy water but you need to let the soil dry completely between waterings - just like most succulents / cacti.
Do you think it will root with the hormone though?

Top Bottom