8-9 feet live oak yamadori, need styling thoughts and inputs.

dresdraconius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Congrats! That’s pretty ideal. I’d let that branch regrow uninterrupted for two years to make for a nice transition. The angle of that new branch looks great, but you might introduce some moderate movement through wiring. You’ll want the movement at this stage to be exaggerated as it’ll look more normal in the future as the trunk thickens.

Regarding the rest of the trunk: I think you’ll see lots of die back if you try to go all the way down to the minimum tissue and make that diagonal cut. You’ll want to let the tree naturally compartmentalize tissue. You’ll be able to find where it makes the division by changes in appearance of the trunk (and also by gently performing small investigative cuts into the bark).
Thanks for the wiring tip. I think I'll wire sometime this month or next. At a 30 degree angle.

Trunk chop- Regarding cutting the trunk further, me thinks I wont mess with it for 2-3 years.

Roots- I may not mess with it for another 2 years either. I know there will be lots of dead or useless roots that I need to prune. After seeing the fussiness of the oaks, I am scared to mess with anything for a few years TBH.

dresdraconius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
With the root sprout, you also have the options of two trunk or clump style. These are appropriate for live oaks. BTW, this tree is almost certainly Q. virginiana, not Q. fusiformis. It was a builder-installed tree in new residential construction, which means cheapest nursery stock available. Such trees are almost always Q. virginiana. Q. fusiformis is very rare in the commercial nursery trade.
You are spot on. T'was a builder installed tree on new construction. A humble Virginiana.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Leo in N E Illinois. I can find oak trees like this all day in Texas.. Nursery .. Tree farm. In wild.
OP chopped this in June. Given time could the tree have been air layered in let's say in early spring? . That is when my Live Oak drops leaves and new growth comes in..

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Leo in N E Illinois. I can find oak trees like this all day in Texas.. Nursery .. Tree farm. In wild.
OP chopped this in June. Given time could the tree have been air layered in let's say in early spring? . That is when my Live Oak drops leaves and new growth comes in..

I have personally never air layered any species of oak. Given documented difficulties with rooting cuttings of oak, I always think of air layering an oak to be a "risky" technique, with a high failure rate. There are some people (I forget who) here on BNut that seem to have good luck air layering oaks, but I have no experience.

For a generic tree, any species, usually spring is the best time for setting air layers. How quickly will it root, I do not know. I have some experience air layering JBP, and in my climate, it takes 2 years to get enough roots to separate the air layer. JWP air layer attempts all failed, let one hang in the parent JWP for 4 years, nothing I did would cause roots to form. With Malus, crabapple, I have gotten roots in 3 months. How long for an oak? I have no idea. Air layers work well for some trees, and not at all for some trees. And a larger group of trees, air layers are hit or miss. It is not a 100% successful technique.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I don't want to throw it away so here I was I have in mind for future.
oakplan_210109_132520_1-jpg.348511

This is exactly how I would carve the stump, after the tree has had at least 2 years to get established and the future "top branch" or leader has hardened off enough that if I was clumsy, I would not knock it off while trying to carve.

I also would remove the root suckers. They draw energy away from the main trunk. When you repot, you can take the root suckers off, with a few roots to pot them up separately.

Nice work so far. Looking healthy.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I need to trim my Live Oaks.. I'm gonna try to air layer a branch about 3 in.. Rather do that then just prune and throw away.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I need to trim my Live Oaks.. I'm gonna try to air layer a branch about 3 in.. Rather do that then just prune and throw away.
Could you elaborate on yours, specifically whether they're seedlings you've grown out (if so, how big did you get them?) or did you find materials and successfully reduce rootplates enough for bonsai?

I ask as someone who lives in an area where it's an outdoor greenhouse, and where live oak is the predominate broadleaf specie, yet have utterly given-up on yamadori they simply depend too-largely upon their tap-root and, even with >1yr spaced '2 step' collections (IE cutting the tap-root & chopping it, letting it heal in-ground) still failed. Think it was @Leo in N E Illinois who told me he'd heard 1-in-10 for 'skilled' guys...

I got a ~7' tall one back in mid-Dec., was $10 at H.Depot in a 5gal, figured WTH since that would normally be way over $50, I chopped it right there in the parking lot, got home - expecting a decent-enough rootmass in that 5-gal - only to find a gigantic bulging taproot, tourniquette techniques had certainly been employed in its production, at any rate I said F-it and got the sawzall and the grinder w/ the 4" chainsaw-disk and got to work, got it to fit in a tiny (dollar-store sized ;) ) oil-fluid pot, hoping it had enough radial/surface roots to survive.....stood as a stick for weeks, had a small push of buds that were killed on a cold night....couple weeks later, when curious because no buds but no signs of dying, I scuffed the top of the bare stick- was thick&green as my gut had told me and then to my surprise I got budding within inches of that the next couple days, they struggled for weeks - and still are, they're under artificial light in my laundry room right now because tonight's too-cold for them - but they're steadily growing and, after nearly 2mo w/o any chlorophyll, finally sporting some :D
20210116_180730.jpg

it's a touch tall in its container (ie i'm not expecting final primary-leader to be as high as the most-vigorous bud) but a blank-slate once spring hits and it's budding harder, I don't know maybe it'll give a flush and die but I'm doubting that, not if it's pushing a flush this way, now, after spending so long dormantly waiting - as long as I protect it from the coldest nights, so another month ugh :p

Base is pretty great, thankfully there's enough radials for its health but makes it hard for me to really show much, here's the base though it has an incredibly abrupt flare to a 'plate'/disc type base, nice 360 symmetry/balance excepting one surface root which I can lose in-time......just need to be sure it takes, this guy had sooo much fine feeders that I think he was able to handle the loss of the tap-root!
Base:
20210116_180832.jpg

@dresdraconius how's yours looking any changes or still that static position of last year's foliage? If I were you I'd be knicking (with the thinnest of blades!) the areas around the chop, to see where the living tissue // dieback line is (not that that inherently tells you much, I was sooo stoked on a piece *just* like yours a few years ago, someone had already "broken" it years before and it'd naturally regrown a new primary-leader at an appropriate height, I planned a 2-step collection so well, it survived and gave me 1 push of growth before it died on me :( (remidns me of yours so much because of shape/size, mine was a wider stump with a low-ground protrusion, like something that was mostly-dead but the base, 360deg, hung-on and its now trying to regrow :D

Last edited:

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well done. I wouldn't worry about it just being one branch. Like others have said let it grow into a new leader. It's going to be a chunky M*****F*****!!

dresdraconius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Wow!! Just wow!!
I am sad to say mine died in thus brutal texas winter. Not sure what went wrong.

Oh well. I'll try again.

Top Bottom