8 years smoke free today

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Today is exactly 8 years since I became a non smoker. At $7 a pack and a pack a day that's $20,000+ I have not blown on smoke and instead blown on things I enjoy like trees, fish and fishing lol. Wonder if I'll get a thank you card from my lungs in he mail today lol. Honestly though I had tried to quit 100's of times before, not sure what made me actually make my mind up to finally do it 8 years ago like I did, but I laid them down and never touched them again thankfully.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Congrats!
When I quit (>20 years ago) I did not have much of a habit (~1 pack a week) but it was still hard to do, so I admire those who were hooked hard and managed to get away.
You deserve to reward yourself with a nice new tree, pot, tool, or such. Or maybe some time relaxing with your trees and a beverage of your choice?

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You know what, I needed to read this today. Thanks for posting. I am currently on DAY 1 (o_O) after trying about 100 times like you mentioned. I have been good at quitting before and have quit for up to 6 months at a time. But I'm always WAY better at starting back. My oldest son was talking to me about it on the ride home from his grandparents' house yesterday. When we got home, I could tell he was acting funny and when I asked him what was wrong, he completely broke down and starting sobbing. He told me that he wanted me to be around when he would need me. And that hit home like nothing else ever has. Usually but this point, I am ready to fistfight the first person that looks at me sideways. But I feel good about it today. And reading this just brings it home even more.

I hope to be you in 8 years Steve! Remind me!! :)

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
sikadelic-I can relate to that, I know the feeling of quitting and then starting again very well. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I quit for a few days to as long as a month one time and then started back up. I tried the patch, a nicotine inhaler, some sort of fake cigarette they use to make, the gum, you name it and I tried it. Then one day I just woke up and started to go outside for my morning smoke and it just hit me like a ton of bricks...why am I doing this? I tossed the pack in the trash and that was it. Sounds like you have very good reasons there to quit yourself because I'm sure you want to be around for your Son as much as he wants you to be there for him. Time with family is a gift, we need to make sure we do everything we can to not give away any of that time voluntarily.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Congrats Steve. I’ll never forget my last cigarette. Driving home from work on a Friday afternoon kicking off Memorial Day weekend around 2002 or 2003, and I was quickly coming down with the flu. Feeling progressively worse inching down I-65 toward my exit, and flicked the half-smoked Marlboro Red out the window because I thought I was going to puke. Spent the entire 3-day weekend on the sofa. Had I know it would be my last, I may have tried to finish it?. Even now, when I’m running or riding my bike, if a car passes with a cigarette burning, I’ll admit it still smells good.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You know what, I needed to read this today. Thanks for posting. I am currently on DAY 1 (o_O) after trying about 100 times like you mentioned. I have been good at quitting before and have quit for up to 6 months at a time. But I'm always WAY better at starting back. My oldest son was talking to me about it on the ride home from his grandparents' house yesterday. When we got home, I could tell he was acting funny and when I asked him what was wrong, he completely broke down and starting sobbing. He told me that he wanted me to be around when he would need me. And that hit home like nothing else ever has. Usually but this point, I am ready to fistfight the first person that looks at me sideways. But I feel good about it today. And reading this just brings it home even more.

Hang in there man! You’re doing it for the right reason. Everyone has their way of coping, I found a brisk walk helped, because it somehow did something for my lungs that a cigarette did. Weird, huh?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I really want to/need to quit. I admire you guys that have been successful. I guess I need to try harder.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

DUDE, hang in there! You're doing it for all the right reasons, and you have to WANT it. So do it.
@Steve C you have to have courage to do this, so congratulations for being 8 years off!

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for all the support folks. I really appreciate it! I still feel really good about it this evening. When I came home from work I just assumed my wife had quit as well after we talked about it last night. When I saw a pack on the bathroom counter, ohhhh I was tempted. Haha. I just asked that she wait until I left before she lit one. So far so good! I've been working on insulating my garage with my son. Good times!

Thanks again..really.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I honestly can't remember my last cigarette, we quit when my wife got pregnant 17 years ago, but I switched to dip and now cigars. Tough to quit the nicotine, but I really enjoy my cigars.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Congrats on being free for 8 years.
I quit about 6 or 7 years ago, really don't remember.
This after smoking for about 40+ years.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Remember after 20 years to have your selves checked.
It is supposed to attack the cells after 20 years.

My best wishes to all.
Remember the stuff you exhale is even worse.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom