#82 - Vachellia Erioloba (Camel Thorn)

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Started (3) of these Camel Thorns from seed this year sent by @RyanSA. Had these two trees growing a small growing container through summer. They seemed to be growing strong so I decided to repot them to give them the entire indoor season to recover and grow strong again. The pot is one sent to me by @sorce. I'd like to keep this tree as compact and small as possible for the time being. These seem to grow slow, so I don't think that will be a problem. I have not pruned this tree or done anything else to it other than repot it so far.

Germination of the seedlings:
20200301_205354.jpg

Growth at repot:
20201017_215205.jpg

After raking out the roots. The bigger, left tree had some seriously twisted roots so I root pruned and replanted it back in the growing container. The smaller tree had roots which I was able to maneuver into a radial position and hold down in the pot with wire so I planted the smaller tree in the pot. I wanted to plant both as a twin tree planting, but I will have to wait for better root structure on the larger tree to form. These roots smell horrible, which is similar to what I've heard about serissas.
20201017_215516.jpg

Final repotting:
20201017_220615.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im going to leave it for now. Its not stable in pot to wire, and Im not sure about how it will react. I may try wire on one of my others before this one. I havent done much research into care or anything with the species. I know they like dry soils so... gonna take it as it goes.

GregT

Seed
Reaction score
Any update on the Camel Thorns? I have a bunch of seeds just popping out the soil and interested to see how yours are doing?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One of them died, but I have one still going. Will take a picture later.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I think they like deeper pots to grow well, a slightly oversized pot should be better

Spoki

Seed
Reaction score
Hi, I just started two Vachellia erioloba seeds. This is my first attempt at a Bonsai from seed. How are ours going? Noob question, do you place them outside from the start? I live in a cold climate

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not cold tolerant. I treat like a tropical. Outside in mid-late spring and inside early mid fall under grow lights. Do not like root work.

MSGhero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not cold tolerant. I treat like a tropical. Outside in mid-late spring and inside early mid fall under grow lights. Do not like root work.
I was just about to post that mine died immediately after a repot and light root work, but I checked real quick and there's a whole new green shoot coming out. It's been 6 weeks, maybe 3 since I last watered it.

So... yes they don't like root work, but also make sure it's not just dormant afterwards?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When have you done root work? I havent repotted in several years. Trying to limit the at. I think in nature they grow a single long tap root.. getting a typical or standard nebari probably is difficult.

MSGhero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I left it alone for about 1.5 years after purchase, then repotted late June leaving most of the roots alone. I'm kinda in ficus mode this summer, so I assumed I repotted out of season.

Top Bottom