[88 Days] Air-Layering Japanese Black Pine x 2

bangsaturday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Hello Bonsai Nutters,

Here are the results of my 2nd attempted at air layering Japanese Black Pine #3 and #4.

Date of Air-Layer: 7 May 2022
Date of Removal & Repot: 2 August 2022
Total No. of Days: 88

IMG_20220802_152823__04__01.jpg

In my earlier thread here: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/97-days-1st-success-air-layering-japanese-black-pine.56506/ , my first attempt at air layering 2 x JBPs resulted in one success, and one failure - with details on the air-layering process.

With this air-layering, I have chosen not to use the previous 50/50 plastic capsule for I have failed once previously.
Instead, I am using the more traditional approach of plain plastic bag (brand new), split into half, and wrapping with Sphagnum Moss.

IMG_20220802_152536__01.jpg

As you will notice that the amount of sphagnum moss on both JBPs are much lesser than previously.
Since I am experimenting, and will have to chop off those branches eventually, I decided to try a relatively small amount instead this time around.

JBP #3 [Still attached to branch]
IMG_20220802_151708.jpg

IMG_20220802_151733.jpg

[Freshly Removed from Branch]

IMG_20220802_152621__03.jpg

IMG_20220802_152900.jpg

IMG_20220802_152936.jpg

JBP #4 [Still attached to branch]
 IMG.jpg

IMG_20220802_152547__01.jpg

IMG_20220802_152559__01.jpg

JBP #4 air-layer has been taken from a 4+ yr old tree, and from the most vigorous branch.

IMG_20220802_152853.jpg

IMG_20220802_152912.jpg

IMG_20220802_152919.jpg

The above photo was taken only 2 minutes after removal. If you look at the branch cut area, you will notice the bubbling of the tree sap.

Why 88 days, and not 90+ days? The reason why I chose to cut both of these air-layers today, is due to the minimal amounts of Sphagnum Moss.
The appearing roots in the past few days have start to turn reddish, and I felt that it was time.

As for repotting, I have chosen not to remove the sphagnum moss, and repotted both air-layers to a mix of 30/30/30/10 - lava rock, akadama, pumice + pine bark.
Both air-layers are now in colanders.
When pouring the soil over the roots, I try to minimize any forceful application, but rather in a small amounts at a time - for the fear of disturbance on these newly emergent roots.

JBP #3 is approximately 27cm (+/-) in height / length
JBP # 4 is approximately 35cm (+/-) in height / length

From the month of May to August, the humidity levels are around 70-80%.
Very windy conditions.
These JBPs are not in direct sunlight, and have only been getting around 3-4 hours of direct sunlight daily, and mostly shaded.

Thanks for reading ~~~ Happy Growing + Air Layering :)

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
After separation from original tree, do you do anything extra to protect the new cuttings? I see that you do some protection from sun, what about wind? Do you cover with plastic?

bangsaturday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
After separation from original tree, do you do anything extra to protect the new cuttings? I see that you do some protection from sun, what about wind? Do you cover with plastic?

Sorry for the late reply.

After seperating the new cuttings, I do not protect them with any protective cover or plastic.

I simply plug the cuttings gently into a soil mix, and leave them in a shaded area for at least 2 weeks before bringing them out into full sun.

img_20220802_152536__01-jpg.449796

Update:

IMG_2160.jpg

The left cutting is still thriving in a colander basket- about 45cm in diameter. (as picture above dated 11 June 2023)
The right cutting has unfortunately died.

Both cuttings were directly introduced into the soil mix with the sphagnum moss intact.
I did not want to take the risk of removing the sphagnum moss and kill the cutting.
This could be the reason why overwatering may have taken place in the case of the dead cutting.

Another reason could be the amount of sphagnum moss used to root these 2 cuttings.
I should have used more.
An amount the size of your fist would be better.

I have since started 4 more Air-Layers, going back to using plastic capsules.

2 have failed - after 1 month, the crown needles above the air-layer slowly turned yellow.
1 have rooted.
1 still in progress.

In my experience, a better choice would be to use cut-up plastic wrappings as opposed to plastic capsules.
Plastic wraps contain the humidity much better; the plastic capsules have slits at the sides, and regular watering over the top is a necessity.

That said, both methods work well.
Just be sure to use an alcohol swap to disinfect your tools when cutting your chosen air-layer.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Interesting you mention a bigger mass of moss, all JBP air layers ive seen have a much smaller amount of mass than a "normal" air layer.

bangsaturday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Interesting you mention a bigger mass of moss, all JBP air layers ive seen have a much smaller amount of mass than a "normal" air layer.

I should have been more specific.

What I mean was that in terms of survival rates, the mass of moss matters - in my experience.

img_20220715_161913__01-jpg.447794

(My first JBP airlayer with a plastic capsule + sphagnum moss)

If you compare the moss mass in a plastic capsule to the above smaller moss mass with plastic wrapping - the difference is quite significant.

FACT: I had taken off these cuttings way too soon.

Stretching a few more weeks, even months, would have allowed the airlayer'ed root system to strengthen, and to grow all around the moss mass.
(as is with my airlayers with Brazilian Rain Trees, and Japanese Green Maples)

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Sorry for the late reply.

After seperating the new cuttings, I do not protect them with any protective cover or plastic.

I simply plug the cuttings gently into a soil mix, and leave them in a shaded area for at least 2 weeks before bringing them out into full sun.

Update:

View attachment 493229

The left cutting is still thriving in a colander basket- about 45cm in diameter. (as picture above dated 11 June 2023)
The right cutting has unfortunately died.

Both cuttings were directly introduced into the soil mix with the sphagnum moss intact.
I did not want to take the risk of removing the sphagnum moss and kill the cutting.
This could be the reason why overwatering may have taken place in the case of the dead cutting.

Another reason could be the amount of sphagnum moss used to root these 2 cuttings.
I should have used more.
An amount the size of your fist would be better.

I have since started 4 more Air-Layers, going back to using plastic capsules.

2 have failed - after 1 month, the crown needles above the air-layer slowly turned yellow.
1 have rooted.
1 still in progress.

In my experience, a better choice would be to use cut-up plastic wrappings as opposed to plastic capsules.
Plastic wraps contain the humidity much better; the plastic capsules have slits at the sides, and regular watering over the top is a necessity.

That said, both methods work well.
Just be sure to use an alcohol swap to disinfect your tools when cutting your chosen air-layer.
Thank you for sharing

Top Bottom