9 reasons to love the Arctic Trident....in one inch.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now if I can only remember when I made that cut!

So I dove deeper...

I noticed on the adjacent branch before, that it showed shorter buds as well in response to the cut....

What I realized is that I can tell when I made that cut, by studying the other branch!

Have a look.aviary-image-1489438193188.jpeg
The left branch was a New bud that sprouted when I made the cut, the branch on the right was there already, and the length of the yellow.

The green arrows show where growth happened after the cut. Really tight buds formed on the branch that was already there...and the new bud sprouted with those mad close internodes.

So I know how long spring branches have to be in order to produce shorter internodes with a cut like this.

Which I think can be useful if keeping either branch, with different needs and outcomes.

This also tells me, or at least the notes go...
That after those short nodes on the right, and the new left bud, my summer dormancy hit. Mid July-mid Augustish.

Then the blue on the right grew.

But the bud that was new, or started later, didn't chance, or spend, or have the reserves, to grow again. No second flush.

Anyway, I just want to point out....

That a lot of folks who have questions about things like this...
Can put some study into the tree and have it directly answer the question for you, rather than relying on someone else in a different climate, or worse.....
A calender!

These studies can be done by observing any tree....
But in The case of a park, or a neighbor, who always gets landscaping done at the same time every year....
It can be even more informative.

For me, this tree is in a grow out stage.
And I may have lost 5% of trunk thickening by doing this experiment.

The experience I gained from it is excellent, and after 10 more years of this, I will know exactly how to work this thing.

Don't tell BVF this is my time capsule tree..
If it wasn't, I would have more pics for documentation!:mad:

Pics pics pics! But more important....
Go back and study them!

Sorce

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@sorce Do you think that the outcome is related to the specific cultivar Acer ginalla, or this applies to any Acer?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce Do you think that the outcome is related to the specific cultivar Acer ginalla, or this applies to any Acer?

I have no idea!

One thing I believe though....

Every tree is different.

Even my other Ginnala's may not act the same....

Surely not all Acers would react the same.
Especially not special cultivars...

But those are "Drama Queens" and have absolutely no place in my Garden!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have that.

I swear for all the years I had stuff right out the windowsill, and basically watched them grow, I never noticed it.

Somehow this year it was very apparent.

Come to think of it, the "stall" may have happened "above the blinds" on years past, I never really studied anything up there, except to check for mites!

I would be interested in finding out if you don't actually get some "stall" somewhere...
When the snow thaws, we should study a pic!

Come refinement time, my awareness of it should come in handy.

I am going to pay special attention to it in regards to my Mugo...
Something about repotting my new ones!

Cuz I'm snagging up a few this year!

Sorce

Top Bottom