[9 weeks in] Growing my first plant, help appreciated!

bobertbonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey fellow Bonsainutters,
I started my first plant-growing venture after sowing Bonsai seeds from a Grow It starter pack (https://giftrepublic.com/). As per instructions I've sowed the seeds in coir pots added a coconut compost disc and sealed it in a polythene bag, placing it out of direct sunlight for 2-3 weeks.

3 weeks later..

As per instructions I've placed the cup with the coir pot and bonsai seeds into the refrigerator for 5 weeks and watered periodically.

5 weeks later..

I took the cup with the coir pot and sown bonsai seeds out of the refrigerator and this is what I have right now:
IMG_3594.jpg

I haven't changed the soil yet and it was always in this cup since the beginning. I'm keeping the soil moist by watering it every 1-2 days.

I'm now 9 weeks into growing my first plant ever, so I'll appreciate any tips or suggestions! Should I add more soil to the coir pot? When's the appropriate time to switch to a regular plant pot?

Attachments

• IMG_3594.jpg
    IMG_3594.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 28

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

Do you know what type of plant/tree you are supposed to be growing? I don't want to depress you, but that plant looks like a weed :(

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey,

Welcome!
Congrats on your first plant, at the moment you need to make sure that it survives, so give it a spot with plenty of light, water once soils is getting dry, its a young plant and doesn't need that much water, watering in every 2nd day its going to kill it.
Whats the species name? depends what it is, you might need it bring it outdoors when weather will be warmer and frost risk is gone, whats your Zone ? can you please update your profile? it will be easier for guys to advice you.
I wouldn't do anything to it for the first year at least, you can repot it next spring, look at the root and change the soil.
Good luck.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That seedling is in need of serious sunlight. Spaghetti isn't a common bonsai style ;-)
When plants get too little light, they stretch until they topple over. That's what's happening here.

I wouldn't trust a seller selling me '4 packs of mixed bonsai seeds' because it basically says you're getting some seeds from an unknown plant with zero instructions on how to care for them. Chinese ebay sellers don't do much better, but at least half of the times you kind of know what you are receiving. But I suggest you look around, and maybe get yourself a pack of seeds from a credible source so that we can guide you in the right direction. They don't have to be expensive! But by doing so, you're setting yourself up for some good fortune; something to work with and something that people can help you with. Right now you're working in the dark basically, both figuratively as well as realistically speaking; the plant needs more light and maybe some other environmental adaptations that we can't be sure about because we're not sure what type of plant it is.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Go outside and look at the ground for young trees in dirt, everywhere. Native trees are easy as non-houseplant bonsai. You can buy a small fig from a nursery as a good stater houseplant bonsai. Continue the seed raising, but get in the game.
!

bobertbonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'm attaching pictures of the seeds + packaging. There is a short "instructions booklet" attached to the GROW IT - Bonsai trees starter kit, however it doesn't list the species. Maybe you guys can help me figure that one out! I just also updated my profile, currently the plant is growing in USDA Zone 7a.

Alright, so I'm moving the plant to some direct light, I'll keep the soil moist, whatever is growing there, I'll do my best to let it survive. Thanks for all your help so far.

Attachments

• IMG_5413.jpg
    IMG_5413.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1329.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 38

bobertbonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey,

Welcome!
Congrats on your first plant, at the moment you need to make sure that it survives, so give it a spot with plenty of light, water once soils is getting dry, its a young plant and doesn't need that much water, watering in every 2nd day its going to kill it.
Whats the species name? depends what it is, you might need it bring it outdoors when weather will be warmer and frost risk is gone, whats your Zone ? can you please update your profile? it will be easier for guys to advice you.
I wouldn't do anything to it for the first year at least, you can repot it next spring, look at the root and change the soil.
Good luck.

Also attaching the Instruction Booklet, as you can see I followed the first two steps, however it isn't really filled with detailed instructions.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-11 at 18.00.12.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-11 at 18.00.12.png
    288.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2019-04-11 at 18.00.09.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-11 at 18.00.09.png
    193.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2019-04-11 at 18.00.06.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-11 at 18.00.06.png
    295 KB · Views: 15

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is this a test? There are a billion species in the world and somebody is supposed to recognize seeds from the other side of the world? I've never even been to China... I have to label the packets I collect or the provenance is forever lost.

bobertbonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is this a test? There are a billion species in the world and somebody is supposed to recognize seeds from the other side of the world? I've never even been to China... I have to label the packets I collect or the provenance is forever lost.

It's not a test lol, I'm just saying I bought a "BONSAI TREE - Starter kit" followed the instructions, and this is what I have after 9 weeks. There was no Bonsai seed species mentioned in the whole Starter Kit box, I'm just curious what to do the next.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Put them all in a flat of dirt in partial sun/dappled shade and see what you got. Close photos of seedlings with not less than thee leafs may be identifiable by the experts here. Expect some of the seeds to not germinate until the second summer, even the third. Mulch lightly over winters.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How many did you put in the starter pot? Do you remember which ones you put in there based on what left? Can you put a lighter or some other common object next to the seeds for a sense of scsle? @Forsoothe! 's idea to put them In a flat and then take pictures will probably be the best identifier.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A common misperception is that bonsai is a particular plant species. This is not true. Any tree and some shrubs can be made into bonsai. So your plant is some seedling of a normal plant species. I would have fun growing the seeds, but would really suggest getting out and getting some starter "plants" or pre-bonsai if you can find it to get your collection and the hobby off to a good start. You'll be waiting years to be able to do anything much with seedling grown plants for bonsai.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well... keep your fingers crossed and maybe something will sprout. I see what look like pine seeds and perhaps some elm... but it is really anyone's guess. It could be fun if a bunch of random trees sprout, but tree seeds are perishable, particularly if they aren't stored in a cool, dark location, and you may or may not get anything. Heat and sun will give you better odds, so if you can put your cup in a sunny window in full sunlight, you will get better results. If you put your cup outside in full sun, consider putting it under a transparent dome because every wild critter in the neighborhood will be attracted to your succulent baby trees :)

Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here are some flats of Japanese black pine seeds that I started last year. I ordered from 6 different vendors, and kept the seeds separate, though I treated them exactly the same way in terms of pre-sowing treatment. You can see the dramatic difference in germination rates between vendors. Not all seeds are equal.

vendors.jpg

bobertbonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey All, thanks for your replies... I'm now 11 weeks into growing. I took Wires_Guy_wires's advice and placed the plant into direct sunlight, posting an update 2 weeks later from my first post:

IMG_1896.jpg

To me it only looks like weeds are growing in my pot :/, can someone identify what these plants could be? As there wasn't any species written on the packaging.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One is grass of some kind. The long skinny one is like that because it needs a great deal more light. You are starting a most difficult task usually reserved for more experienced people. Beginners buy small cheap plants and learn how to keep them alive. Keeping seedlings alive the first couple years is very unforgiving: let them dry out once, and the game is over. Again, put the seeds in a flat, sink the flat in a protected, but bright location, and watch 'em for a couple years. Remove individuals that look big enough to repot after at least a year.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My suggestion would be to just stop, throw all that stuff in the garbage can, and start over with a real plant/tree(s) that you know what it is and go from there. You're wasting your time with all the variables with what you are doing now and nobody has any idea how to help you not knowing what you are growing. You're going to loose the audience pretty quick at this rate.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ohh come on, let it grow, don't throw out, you will learn something even if the wont make it. Once plants are slightly bigger it will be easier to identify.
Dont worry, just give it plenty of light and a bit of time.
Fingers crossed!

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
These Bonsai Growing Kits are just a way to make easy money if not scam people.
If you want to grow a bonsai (i.e. a tree) from seeds, get the seeds from the trees in the area you live in.
If you want a special non-native tree, make sure you get the proper seeds from a reputable source.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think you better start from some nursery material. Learn how plant grows and how it reacts. Growing from seeds required some skill and controlled environment. You will learn alot from this group.

Top Bottom