9-year progression, large JBP

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
...personally I think over time you have allowed your tree to go beyond where it should be. By letting the crown grow out too much the proportions you now have, have diminished the impact of that magnificent trunk which is the absolute best part of this bonsai. ...
We all have the tendency to let our trees develop beyond our original vision, I know I have and I am now having to deal with the result of that.

An interesting, and somewhat unexpected consensus on the favored version of the tree.

I do agree that the crown was too heavy for the 2013 show - not because it got away from me but because when I styled it in November 2011 I kept more branches than needed. The editing of branches after this January's show was an improvement and I will consider further reduction of the crown at candle-cutting time in June.

Cheers,

Eric

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
An interesting, and somewhat unexpected consensus on the favored version of the tree.

I do agree that the crown was too heavy for the 2013 show - not because it got away from me but because when I styled it in November 2011 I kept more branches than needed. The editing of branches after this January's show was an improvement and I will consider further reduction of the crown at candle-cutting time in June.

Cheers,

Eric

Again Eric, I meant no discredit to your tree or your accomplishment in styling it. I think it is beautiful.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After that show in 2009 the tree didn't grow as strongly as I wanted so I skipped candle cutting for the year. The needles got pretty long! This was taken in January of 2010 (and yes that's a Coast live Oak to the left)
View attachment 31372
What tree is that to the left of your pine? Appears to be a cork bark oak? Btw, awesome trees!

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Cheers,

Eric

Just to offer a perhaps even more extreme point of view in the full-to-sparse spectrum, I personally prefer something somewhere right between the 2006 and 2009 image, maybe even leaning a little closer to the 2006 image. Great tree either way, though!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just to offer a perhaps even more extreme point of view in the full-to-sparse spectrum, I personally prefer something somewhere right between the 2006 and 2009 image, maybe even leaning a little closer to the 2006 image. Great tree either way, though!

I agree, the 2006 image is elegant, artistic, (not that the others are not), beautiful and compelling to look at.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I haven't shown this tree in the last couple years. After my move back from SoCal this tree took a year off. Many of the buds did not grow properly for the first summer so I left it alone, no decandling, no needle pulling.

During summer this year I was still hesitating to decandle the tree, but ultimately I decided to do so since it was growing well. The thing I was nervous about was that the needles that would be left to power the tree after decandling were already two years old. Well, it turns out that that's apparently not a problem for a black pine. (well, I did fertilize the crap out of it this year, particularly in the fall to get the new crop of needles the length I wanted.)

June 7th, 2014, after removing the weaker candles, but before removing the strong ones:
15534374539_c50c7956c6_b.jpg

Last night (November 4th, 2014) before any work:
15696450496_6356f7fafe_b.jpg

Me goofing around:
15696449426_a39ca497c4_b.jpg

And after pulling needles and removing some buds, the tree looks better. But, I still have to do a bunch of wiring, and perhaps a bit more thinning, particularly on the top where things are a bit too dense. That one branch at the right of the very top maybe should come off, it's making the apex look too pointy.

15100790503_d713dd655d_b.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nice tree. I can't tell you how much I enjoy the progression of nine years. I was beginning to think there were not too many members on this forum that document their trees.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Eric, are you planning to show it at BIB this year? It was a good year for JBP in San Francisco this year.

Your tree will look great once you detail wire it.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Eric, are you planning to show it at BIB this year? It was a good year for JBP in San Francisco this year.

Your tree will look great once you detail wire it.

It looks good, but wont look perfect. There was one small branch that died last winter on the lower right of the crown. It didn't make any difference really because it was a crowded area anyway. But, there was another branch on the front left at the bottom of the crown that was too weak to decandle this summer. It has long needles now and not enough of them to be cutting them short and have it look good.

I've shown the tree so many times anyway that people are probably bored with seeing it around here.

For Boon's show, I'll be focusing my efforts on a shimpaku raft that I just sent up to the GSBF convention...maybe a large Ponderosa that I've had for a while now, and a couple small trees. I generally show only one or two large tree and a couple small ones each year. More than that and I'd have no time to keep up on the younger trees because I'd be spending all my time doing show prep all winter.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've shown the tree so many times anyway that people are probably bored with seeing it around here.

I'm sure you are wrong about that. How many times have you seen Gremels cedar? I happen to like seeing nicely made well executed trees over and over. You always see something you didn't see before.
Please keep US updated at least. Very nice tree, you should be happy with it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Eric,

Keeping a refined tree in top shape is very time consuming. Lots and lots of detail wiring. I will look forward to seeing what you bring to the show. I'll be bringing the tree that's my avatar. I've been working on it at the Intensives for the past year.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For Boon's show, I'll be focusing my efforts on a shimpaku raft that I just sent up to the GSBF convention....

Is this the one?

Attachments

• DSC_00320032.JPG
    DSC_00320032.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 85

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yep, that's the one. I hate all the photos of the tree, you just can't get the full effect of it. Maybe that means it's a crappy tree.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice progression...and European-style photo-bombing with the tree!
Dont stop sharing, nobody is bored!

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a super cool tree. I'm in the camp that likes it better with the foliage a bit more sparse. I feel like the thick head of hair distracts from the rugged trunk. Post as many pics of it as you want. :D

Top Bottom