911, Pine rescue, warning graphic content.

Reaction score
North Auckland (whangaparaoa), New Zealand
USDA Zone
10b
I found this pine (to be indentified) it's half (or more?) Dead. It was bought as a Christmas tree and left through summer no water. First thing I did was soak it in a tub of water. My plan is to remove it from the nursery bucket and build a training box for it. I have no experience with pines so any help is welcome. Thank you

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Brace yourself, hold on to something, or sit down. I'm afraid this is a deceased pine. Kindling, or compost.

Go ahead and keep it watered. Don't repot, disturbing what is left of the roots now will just guarantee death. There is faint hope it will green up. If it does recover, then we can work on identifying it. If turgor returns to the green needles, and it looks like it is beginning to recover, it will still be 6 months or more before we can be sure the tree is ''out of danger''. Only after the tree is stabilized, will it be time to repot. When you to repot, do a ''half bare root''. In other words, leave about one half the root ball undisturbed. Pines really dislike root disturbance, especially if they are weak as this one is. Keep it in shade until the needles absorb water and become stiff again., until they stand back up a little. Then move it to at least half sun. It will need sun to recover long term. When it starts to put out new growth, back in full sun, sunrise to sunset sun.

Needles of pine are in bundles. Count the number of needles in at least a dozen bundles around the pine. The stone pines will have 1, 2, 3 and 4 needles in bundles in different parts of the tree. There are 3 or 4 species of stone pines, one, Pinus pinea is often sold as a Christmas tree. Many species of pines have 2 needles in a bundle. These usually will be pretty consistent will all the bundles, or the vast majority of the bundles having 2 needles. Pinus radiata and a few hybrids for timber were introduced to Australia and New Zealand for timber plantations. So it could be one of those. The Pinus sylvestris, Scott's pine or Forest pine of Europe is a 2 needle pine commonly used in North America as a Christmas tree. The group of pines related to the North American Ponderosa pine have a mixture of 2 and 3 needles in a bundle with an Arizona USA variety having 4 or 5 needles in a bundle. The ''white pines'' subgenus Strobus, which includes Eastern North American white pine, Japanese white pine and Chinese lacebark pine all have 5 needles except the Lacebark pine which has 3 needles. These are normally not used for Christmas trees in the USA.

So you can see the number needles will help in determining identity. If it lives.

But it likely will perish. So this ''excess typing'' is my trying to be friendly and kill time avoiding some household chores I should be doing right now.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
It might not be quite dead, and sorry but backbudding could be a problem also. Sure, hang on to this and see if it recovers, but like @Leo in N E Illinois says - probably dead or dying.
The issue I am finding here in NZ is getting any pre-bonsai, so nursery trees is our best bet.
Re pines - you can germinate some seeds this next Winter/Spring. Or go to this website and order some bare-rooted pine and other seedlings - www.appletons.co.nz. Only problem is buying in 10’s at $5 per tree. They are a forestry and ornamental tree grower based in Nelson and ship around the country.
PM me if you can only justify buying 5 and I could help with the other 5.
Charles

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have seen Pinus radiata bonsai. They make decent trees when grown to larger sizes, over 60 cm tall. They generally respond well to Japanese black pine techniques. They are a 2 or 3 flush pine depending on your environment. I have no experience directly with them, they will never survive in my climate, its too cold in my area. My area does not get warm enough in summer for them to actually grow very well. So I can not tell you about back budding.

Thanks for checking in and offering help @KiwiPlantGuy, I'm glad you an @BubblePopScott are going to connect.

Reaction score
North Auckland (whangaparaoa), New Zealand
USDA Zone
10b
I counted the needles, it looks like it has 3 needles in each bundle. I hope it survives, I've been wanting a pine for a long time just couldn't afford them, my plan is just to, save it and learn some techniques with it before I invest in a pine. Who knows the conifer i did the same thing too has turned out pretty sweet so it might work :? Thanks all for the help.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It died, ?. I'll keep the tree until spring before I chuck it. I do have a Scots pine cutting also in the pot which is doing much better than the ones in my propergateor
Don't kick yourself.
It wasn't in the greatest health to begin with.

Top Bottom