9th World Bonsai Convention, October 8-16, 2022

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The convention has begun. The first demo was Shinji Suzuki and his team of apprentices styling a ~1000 year old Shimpaku juniper named Garyu, which is the name of a dragon. Spectacular tree! I would’ve liked a bit longer presentation, but I understand why it was condensed for time because the actual work took them a whole day. There was a live Q & A via Zoom after.

The second demo was Hugo Zamora and his apprentices doing trunk splitting on a blue point juniper to do a big bend on it to create a nice literati.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can we expect any of the convention to show up publicly, on YouTube or Vimeo or the like?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can we expect any of the convention to show up publicly, on YouTube or Vimeo or the like?
I don’t know. I’m just an attendee, not involved in organizing it in any way. I wouldn’t expect so, though. It’s a virtual convention and folks paid to attend it, so it wouldn’t make much sense to give the content away for free afterwards. Normally, it’s put on as an in-person convention, but they went virtual this time because of Covid-19. They’ve never done it as a virtual convention before and this is my first time attending this convention, so I don’t know much about how they do things. Realistically, if it wasn’t virtual, I wouldn’t be able to attend unless it was being held in the U.S. I definitely could not afford to fly to Australia to attend a bonsai event. Since it’s virtual, I decided to avail myself of the opportunity to learn from some bonsai superstars.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I understand. I would love to have the chance to, but I just have some many other priorities right now.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One Shibui Bonsai tree I submitted made it through to the virtual bonsai display so I'm feeling good.
For me, one of the things that has been really cool about the virtual exhibition displays, with the convention being hosted in Australia, is that I’ve been introduced to several tree species that I had never seen or even heard of before.

Top Bottom