A Barrel of Scots Scotch (Pines that is)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

All that tape.....

Cat still knows where his litter box went!

Nice friggin container!

Ha!

Pond basket...? Ground?
Lololol!
You want to know what to put your tree in?

That right there!

Nice!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
All that tape.....

Cat still knows where his litter box went!

Nice friggin container!

Ha!

Pond basket...? Ground?
Lololol!
You want to know what to put your tree in?

That right there!

Nice!

Sorce
I hope the container has drain holes? A box would be better.

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@sorce: :)))) good one. I feel like this needs some explaining. The container used to house two habanero peppers grown in the kratky method suspended in nutrient sollution. As i couldn't find an opaque container at that time I applied tape to stop direct sunlight on the roots of the peppers in order to discourage algae. The peppers have since been planted in the ground and the plastic box was all I had on hand when I brought the tree home. But you are right... the poor tree is peobably dying of shame right now.
@Vance Wood: yupp. Drilled holes in the bottom of it. I'll move it to something more dignified as soon as I het the chance.
@M. Frary thank you :).

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought to share my biggest raw Scots pine. You know that feeling if you park your Matiz next to M class Mercedes. Or your little shohin trees are shaded by large ones at a local show...
So I collected this one because of bark an size. From the first moment I've been aware of how challenging this is gonna be. Most of branches were of not so suitable thickness or position. Decided to remove all but one and build the tree from a single branch. Spent two years removing unwanted branches. Now it needs 2+ years to be ready for some work. After I'm sure which front...I'll start playing with deadwood. Doable, what would you say?
View attachment 164293
View attachment 164294
View attachment 164295
Doable. I did the same with this larch. The top was incredibly ugly. The bark was incredibly cool. So...

20171115_065214.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, beautiful work. Thanks for quoting and nice idea. Now my pine needs some year of unrestricted growth, I'll only check the wire, backbuding and do the deadwood works. Thank you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, beautiful work. Thanks for quoting and nice idea. Now my pine needs some year of unrestricted growth, I'll only check the wire, backbuding and do the deadwood works. Thank you.
Carving added the taper. There's more dead wood under that coil bark eventually it will be exposed which means there are changes in the future.

Your pine will take time to extend down that far. Larch are much quit let. Took me about 6 years. Maybe three more to go before I feel it's long enough.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

No no...do not misunderstand!

I love that container..

It's like Vance says (elsewhere).

If you put stuff off or worry about harming the tree etc, you're never going to make it any better!

You have a tree!
F how it got there!

F a colander f a pot!

Get tree!

Love that!

Sorce

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
While shopping for my Xmas gift tree, I saw this guy and couldn't leave it behind.

A dwarf cultivar called 'Avondean'. Apparently quite rare. Too good a project to pass on

IMG_20171223_171709.jpg IMG_20171223_171635.jpg IMG_20171223_171607.jpg IMG_20171223_171349.jpg IMG_20171223_171325.jpg IMG_20171223_171243.jpg

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nothing like climbing rock faces in the rain to collect sylvestris pines.
New tree I adopted today:

20180317_231748.jpg20180317_231813.jpg20180317_231803.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's almost Fathers Day.
Time to cut back shoots and do rootwork in the next few weeks.
Are you people ready?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is my first scots pine year.
I have read that candles should be cut in fall.
But it's summer right now. What do you guys know that I don't? Can somebody point me in the right direction?
Candles have extended here, but they aren't solidified/hardened; the needles come off with the slightest pull.
I'm kind of in the dark here, any help would be appreciated!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But it's summer right now. What do you guys know that I don't? Can somebody point me in the right direction?
Candles have extended here, but they aren't solidified/hardened; the needles come off with the slightest pull.
Not in fall.
Cut the shoots just after the needles have extended out of the candle and the needles mature.
For me that time will be in a couple weeks. For people further south it can be sooner.
Also note I didn't say candle. We don't cut candles. It's a term that JBP owners use because it's translated wrong somehow from Japanese. They're also cutting shoots off but tend to use the wrong terminology.
The candle is the thing that extends out of the bud. Once it reaches maximum length the needles start to emerge forming the shoot.
Once the needles mature you cut the shoot back to a couple needles or right off on strong limbs.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I had an earlier and very healthy spring....but it seems the quick hot weather really stalled full needle opening...
Candles here are just beginning to move again and fully spread needles after 3-4 days of rain going into the waxing moon phase.
Stuff got going later last year but hardened off much sooner.

My Preffered Waning repot period is between the 25th and 30th of both June and July.

I'm leaving the slower Scots Cousins till July.
But I'm going to remove some ground layers and repot some Box and Juniper in June.

Adjust.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Alright, thanks guys! This helps a lot.
I'll be cutting shoots today then! They seem to be near the ideal stage.
Repotting is being saved for next year. All trees were collected this spring, so they're acclimatizing still. But growth is vigorous in most of them, a little shoot cutting wouldn't do much harm i guess. Weaker looking ones will be left alone.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Juniper in June.
Just did my 2 parsons last weekend.
Pulled from the pot,bare rooted with the hose,roots cut back and plopped into their homes for the next 2 years.
In a few weeks they get wire again. I may bring them to the show for something to work on though so I might wait till then.
My optimum date to cut shoots off and repot my Scots and Mugo pines will be sometime in a few weeks. It will be a Saturday or Sunday and it will be around noon.
The moon will be in retrograde to Uranus.

Top Bottom