A Barrel of Scots Scotch (Pines that is)

Reaction score
Alright, thanks guys! This helps a lot.
I'll be cutting shoots today then! They seem to be near the ideal stage.
Repotting is being saved for next year. All trees were collected this spring, so they're acclimatizing still. But growth is vigorous in most of them, a little shoot cutting wouldn't do much harm i guess. Weaker looking ones will be left alone.
How healthy are your trees? Most off the time its better too let them grow strong in 2 or 3 years.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The strongest two trees have been cut now. I think they'll be able to deal with it. They were getting ready for a second flush (new buds after this years spring flush started swelling) so I figured these were strong enough. And if not, that would be a good lesson for me.
I know that letting vigorous growth run causes backbudding, and I know that not cutting shoots would most likely improve backbudding. But the wood on these two trees is getting old. Branches are 30+cm in length (with 8 seasons of growth per branch), and there's only all of last years needles + this years. I'm afraid that if I don't push them towards forced backbudding now, the wood will become too old and I'll have to revert to grafting if I ever want to fill the tree up.
Most shoots were cut back to an equally balanced size of 7-14 sets of needles. So I might have just removed 5 pairs or so from the tip. It's somewhere in between cutting shoots and letting them be.
It might set me back a year or even two, it might help me out. We'll see what happens, I have the time, I'm just afraid the branches have had their time so it was now or never..
I'm taking notes so that if something works, I have a reference in the future. And if it didn't work, I'll have that reference as well. These aren't going to be show-worthy trees in the coming 10 years or so, so I don't mind screwing up a few times.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know they are a single flush species, but how would I call this? I'm having a bad day today with terminology ;-)
20180617_191556.jpg
A swelling bud on the left, and a spring flush on the right. Is that not a second flush? Maybe a slow first flush? Continuous flush?
I don't know how to call that. But I'd like to know anyways, it's never too late to learn.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know they are a single flush species, but how would I call this? I'm having a bad day today with terminology ;-)
View attachment 197175
A swelling bud on the left, and a spring flush on the right. Is that not a second flush? Maybe a slow first flush? Continuous flush?
I don't know how to call that. But I'd like to know anyways, it's never too late to learn.

I could be wrong but the term for that kind of action may be lammas growth?

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
It's almost Fathers Day.
Time to cut back shoots and do rootwork in the next few weeks.
Are you people ready?
Soooon my needles have not hardened off quite yet. I suffered some vole damage to some and figured I wasnt going to be able to work them, but the sonsabitches put out tons of vigorous growth in the uneffected areas. Realistically the voles just helped me do some dormant pruning....

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My scots pine has white stuff (webs?) all on the buds, and black stuff on the trunk.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Alright, then I'll go feed my pines as well.
Standing still or summer dormancy is something for tropical plants.

I'll be using pokon wateroplosbaar. It's the most complete nutrient mixture we can get in the Benelux for the price of just 8 euros per kg. I have tried DCM, I like it, but their brand tends to not have trace elements. It's just not 'Everything in one package'.
I think I remember that pokon even drops the pH of tapwater to acceptable levels. But it has been a while since I last measured it.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sure, this is the stuff:
https://www.bol.com/nl/p/pokon-universele-plantenvoeding-wateroplosbaar-500-g/9200000054280586/

Your local garden center probably sells it for half that price. Or even less. I remember buying it for something close to 4 euro's a pack at some Intratuin store.
Thus far, it was the most complete content of nutrients and trace elements I was able to find without having to order laboratory materials. I can't find the contents online though.
NPK - 20-20-20, of which 10% ureum, 6% nitrate, 4% ammonium, 20% phosphoric acid anhydrous, and 20% potassium oxide.
Cu 0.004%*
B 0.01%
Fe 0.05%*
Mn 0.03%*
Mo 0.001%
Zn 0.003%*
* are chelated with either EDTA or DTPA.

If there's a more complete pack of nutrients, within this price range, I'd like to know. There's always room for improvement!

Top Bottom