A better way to sieve

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
66 degrees and sunny - low humidity. Fall days like these are wonderful in Houston. Many plants here will continue to grow well into December.

Our short dormant season is the period I use to make soil for repotting. Some of you routinely sieve your soil as part of this process - others don't. I always sieve and on a nice day like this with a hint of fall in the air, I start to think of the task ahead (even though it is still a couple of months away). Like many of you, I started with these:

image.jpg

This set of sieves I've had for over 20 years. I bought them when I was in the Sacramento Bonsai Club while I was at school at UC Davis. But as I've grown older, my trees have gotten bigger (probably a mistake there), and my collection has grown larger (definitely a mistake). In a heavy repotting year, I can go through 30 gallons of soil. Sieving 30 gallons of soil a scoop at a time is tedious backbreaking work. What was fine for a small collection of trees (a couple of gallons of soil a year) became a major headache with a larger collection. I figured that there has to be a better way. So about 10 years ago, I made these:

image.jpg

Or at least the predecessors of these. For those handy folks out there, it's a simple system and quite inexpensive to build. Most of the wood I've used is reclaimed - I think the sides came from pallets. Here's how it works:

image.jpg

The wood frames holding the wire screens are reinforced at the bottoms by 1x2s that have furniture casters screwed into their corners. The mesh frames are then placed on a second frame that sits on top of a wheelbarrow:

image.jpg

Because of the casters, the sieves can be rocked back and forth in the outer frame quite easily. I can sieve a 25# bag of soil at a time with this system (a full bag of akadama). That which used to be a full day exercise, I can now finish in an hour or so and I can do a better job with less back pain after I'm done.

Here are the plans:

image.jpg

It's important that the furniture casters on the mesh frame ride on top of the 2x2 rails on the wheelbarrow frame without rubbing the 1x4 sides, so test fit your parts before final assembly. Building these is a full day job for me, but I'm sure there are those of you who can power through this much more efficiently than I.

I use three mesh sizes with hole diameters of 3/8", 1/4", and 1/8" to make two soil grades discarding grains sizes less than 1/8" and greater than 3/8". *But you can substitute whatever hole diameter mesh that you prefer. *I purchased the wire mesh from the Bellville Wire Cloth Company (http://www.bwire.com/index.html). *They have everything you need for whatever soil sizes you prefer.

I hope some of you try it - there are those of you out there much handier than I and I look forward to seeing what changes you can envision to make them better. I'm ready for soil sieves rev 3 and I'm looking for ideas.

Scott

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you want to make it even simpler?

Attach handles on two sides towards user (you).
Find a place where you can hang the 2 farther corners (maybe to a porch beam, a swing, or something similar). Attach eyelets (make sure it is strong enough) and hang it. Make it so the sifter is horizontal when you are standing and holding the handles. You can also add a stand by your end (a bit lower) so you just need to lift it a bit as you sift. Use a tarp or something similar to catch what ever will fall. Rock/swing it back and forth and be done in minutes sifting even by the CY.

That is what we use when sifting aggregates manually for construction back in the Philippines. :)

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Find a place where you can hang the 2 farther corners (maybe to a porch beam, a swing, or something similar). Attach eyelets (make sure it is strong enough) and hang it. Use a tarp or something similar to catch what ever will fall. Rock it like a swing and be done in minutes sifting even by the CY.

That is what we use when sifting aggregates manually for construction back in the Philippines. :)

Thanks - that's a great idea. The Filipinos are a creative and resourceful people - I saw many ingenious devices during my travels there.

Scott

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think your idea is well worth exploring. However; let me remind you, especially you young whipper-snappers just getting into bonsai who think you are bullet proof, soil issues can in latter years kick your ass; so please wear a respirator or at the least a dust mask to protect your lungs. I cannot express how important I think this is understanding the "interesting nature" of some of the components we use to make bonsai soil.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think your idea is well worth exploring. However; let me remind you, especially you young whipper-snappers just getting into bonsai who think you are bullet proof, soil issues can in latter years kick your ass; so please wear a respirator or at the least a dust mask to protect your lungs. I cannot express how important I think this is understanding the "interesting nature" of some of the components we use to make bonsai soil.

Thank you Vance - a good reminder for all of us who occasionally get lazy no matter what our experience level. A proper fitting dust mask or respirator should always be used when sieving - silicosis is no joke.

Scott

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good point Vance.

Very nice setup, I can appreciate your mistakes (bigger, more) as I have also gone down that treacherous road. I will see if the enabler (husband) will build me a set of these.

I wonder if the bumping action caused by the wheels rolling isn't a better idea than the swing method. Seems like you'd have to work it more to get the shifting that would happen as the rollers bumped along. The handle idea I like...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Properly made (size, depth, etc.)...you can sift as much as a bag of turface in one go with the one I described. Maybe it will take less than 10 swings (seconds) by size. If you set it up properly, you can also dump what is remaining on the sieve on a secondary container farther in your front in one forward swing and lifting the handle at the same time (the technique takes a few practice). You can then re-sift that to get the premium mid-size "soil".

As I said...you can sift by the CY with this set-up in a few minutes. With least back strain too! :)

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good point Vance.

Very nice setup, I can appreciate your mistakes (bigger, more) as I have also gone down that treacherous road. I will see if the enabler (husband) will build me a set of these.

I wonder if the bumping action caused by the wheels rolling isn't a better idea than the swing method. Seems like you'd have to work it more to get the shifting that would happen as the rollers bumped along. The handle idea I like...

I indeed find that it is most effective when the sieve changes direction and hits the bumper at the end. So, that action coupled by short swings is what seems to work the best. But I think that one could probably replicate this with what Dario suggested.

I find the best way to get what I want is to encourage my wife's own expensive, time-consuming hobby. She's probably thinking the same thing - I guess that makes us both enablers.

Scott

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

Or, at the very, very least . . . stand up wind. :)

I have very severe asthma (am on O2) and a couple of other lung diseases. Making soil is a torture for me every year, and I seldom sift, but you still have to mix organics with inorganics and that generates dust.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chinese ingenuity -

plywood, scrap wood and galvanised pipe.

[ 1 ] The box fits into the other. Sieve wire at the bottom of the box attached with strips of wood.

[ 2 ] The idea is to just rock the boxes.

[ 3 ] Handles compost and gravel easily, by the yard loads.

Uses buckets of material, very fast, No complaints.
Need more ? Diagram should be self explanatory.

We also leave a piece of heavy tarp under the base to collect the material.
Good Evening.
Anthony

Attachments

• sifter.jpg
    sifter.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 561

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Chinese ingenuity -

[ 1 ] The box fits into the other. Sieve wire at the bottom of the box attached with strips of wood.

Good Evening.
Anthony

Nice - I like the rocker arms.

Scott

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chinese ingenuity -

Good Evening.
Anthony

Then attach the whole mechanism to a paper jogger, and you can sift yard loads of substrate in mere seconds ;)

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
ha ha.. i'd watch this if this site wasn't blocked here. Anyway, I'm imagining it has something to do with an old Ford pickup and maybe cement blocks... :p

Close - bungee chords and a reciprocating saw.

- scott

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Find a place where you can hang the 2 farther corners (maybe to a porch beam, a swing, or something similar). Attach eyelets (make sure it is strong enough) and hang it. Make it so the sifter is horizontal when you are standing and holding the handles. You can also add a stand by your end (a bit lower) so you just need to lift it a bit as you sift. Use a tarp or something similar to catch what ever will fall. Rock/swing it back and forth and be done in minutes sifting even by the CY.

Is there any way you can give a visual representation of this technique? I just can't really visualize it for some reason. A photo or a drawing?

Thank you.

Top Bottom