A big pine

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You are not getting any younger. Is this a mid life crisis thingy?
Kinda… I always wanted one of those beefy Japanese black pines with a massive base. Since I can’t afford to buy a finished one I thought I’d buy the trunk and build it out over the next 15 or 20 years.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice pick up! Any work planned for it this year?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice pick up! Any work planned for it this year?
No work other then lots of feed and water. I’ll pick a preferred front, too. Next spring, it goes into a training pot with a partial soil change and will likely get some grafts to begin building the branches.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kinda… I always wanted one of those beefy Japanese black pines with a massive base. Since I can’t afford to buy a finished one I thought I’d buy the trunk and build it out over the next 15 or 20 years.
Welcome to the club!

Now, buy out the neighbors so you can cut their trees down to have more sun!

Or... you can rent bench space from me!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No work other then lots of feed and water. I’ll pick a preferred front, too. Next spring, it goes into a training pot with a partial soil change and will likely get some grafts to begin building the branches.
Looks like a Rednecks project to me!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, I did it. I ordered a Japanese Blackpine from Telperion Farms. I wanted one a little on the big side… ???
View attachment 243073View attachment 243074View attachment 243075View attachment 243076View attachment 243077View attachment 243079View attachment 243080
Now that is a repotting project! Better set aside a long weekend or take a few days off when the time comes. Mine usually came with one handle! Yours has two!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I pulled this one from it's sunny, summer spot on the hill this morning and plunked it on a bench to do some judicious cut backs and wiring while exploring the base and evaluating potential fronts. Some positives for this one include a great base with awesome and fantastic movement and taper to the trunk. It also has several low branches, one already having great movement and taper. Unfortunately, the front that shows off the base and trunk movement also has the trunk moving away from the front before coming back toward the viewer. The ugly chops/deadwood are also in your face and would need some decent carving to clean up.
IMG_3384.jpgIMG_3386.jpg

Another possible front still has a decent view of the base, good movement down low, and the chop scars are much less obvious. From this side, though, the top portion of the trunk is not as dynamic. Any way, I'll spend the winter ruminating about it decide come re-pot time.
IMG_3383.jpg

Top Bottom