A bit of a road block today...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My dogs were relaxing on the deck this morning...and they started to carry on. So I go out...the neighbor is getting out of his car. I'm like...what's going on? He's like...road block. I glance...and there is this soft shelled turtle up past our garage in the middle of the road. Well, he was afraid to drive over it and it move and him kill it. Also petrified of it...I went to nudge it and I scared him to death. So he said, he couldn't let me do it. So he backed his car up the road to the next house...and asked the Australian to come help get it out of the road. lol Aussies aren't scared of anything. So he comes down and nudges it with his foot.

That turtle lifted it's shell and FLEW to the lake! I was shocked at how fast it moved. I've not seen any thing like it. But, this guy was a cutie...for sure. Love living where we do. Nature is all around us. Love that...
soft shell turtle.jpgFull image of soft shell turtle.jpg106335179_3301028663251446_6788585437477121867_o (2).jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had no idea soft shell turtles were found as far north as Ohio... very cool!
Apparently we have an albino one as well in the lake. So I will be watching for it. But, yes...this far north. The Florida woman who's married to the Aussie neighbor...was SHOCKED that we had them up here in the north. I guess I never gave it a thought as to not having them. Growing up with them here. But this guy was sunning himself...or had just got done laying eggs some place. That's the only reason I can imagine it to be up from the lake as it was. It was depleted...I imagine. Because it left me get quite close to it. Where my other neighbor Zack FLIPPED out. (The one in the car who stopped.) ...that he couldn't let me be attacked by the thing...and to get back. lol But it was really cool he/she wasn't skiddish but allowed us quite close. Which usually they skedaddle. Even Chris the Australian said it was unusual for it not to be scared. Which is why I wonder if it was tired from laying eggs. But really cool for sure...to get as close as I got to this one today.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I too thought they only lived in warm areas. I was in the pet industry for many years and ours were from Africa.
Very cool pictures, thanks for sharing.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had to shoo this snapper back to the river at my last job once (I was one of the earlier people at the office). Scared the shit out of me.

View attachment 311863
View attachment 311864
I love that these predate to the prehistoric era. They are so gnarly...but have you ever seen one JUMP! OH MY!!! Thanks for saving him. He deserved to see another day. Looks like a big fella.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I too thought they only lived in warm areas. I was in the pet industry for many years and ours were from Africa.
Very cool pictures, thanks for sharing.
I'm actually learning it's taking many by surprise. I had also shared to my Facebook wall. He was just to cool not to share.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love that these predate to the prehistoric era. They are so gnarly...but have you ever seen one JUMP! OH MY!!! Thanks for saving him. He deserved to see another day. Looks like a big fella.

Jump?! I haven't, but I've seen that neck reach, crazy how long they are! Definitely one of the biggest I've seen up close.

I'm actually learning it's taking many by surprise. I had also shared to my Facebook wall. He was just to cool not to share.

I love his little snout!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Jump?! I haven't, but I've seen that neck reach, crazy how long they are! Definitely one of the biggest I've seen up close.

I love his little snout!
I grew up with these at the back of the farm...Oh they get mad...they will leap at an offender. It's quite CRAZY to see the distance they can make. Agreed, they can really manage to get one with that long neck if not careful if one handles them.
Yeah, that snout is adorable...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We saw one the size of a .....hey @Vance Wood ..garbage can lid! (If you guys missed the VW episode where he throws the garbage can lid, YouTube "bonsai stuff")

A big garbage can lid, more north, Round Lake, Il.

The Lakes at the McDonald's Corporation also has a bunch.

Nice.

Sorce

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last year I had 5 baby map turtles show up in my little pond. One day they were just gone. This year I had 1 show up...I’m miles from any water. No idea where they’re coming from.
E21D24CB-BF76-4DE8-9D90-E2092CE86000.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Last year I had 5 baby map turtles show up in my little pond. One day they were just gone. This year I had 1 show up...I’m miles from any water. No idea where they’re coming from.
View attachment 311897
Gone...Wonder if the circle of life got them. We had eastern painted babies...like 17 I think we counted in the back end of the lake where the stream feeds into the lake. Swimming like little crazy babies...was so cute. I wonder if there is water near you that you aren't aware of. Hm-mmm.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have seen female turtles over here walk for miles uphill to lay eggs. There may be some urge to get way from possible flood water so the babies can survive.
Not sure about survival while those babies then need to walk all the way back to the water without any guidance or map though.
It must work out OK because they are still here after all those millions of years.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have seen female turtles over here walk for miles uphill to lay eggs. There may be some urge to get way from possible flood water so the babies can survive.
Not sure about survival while those babies then need to walk all the way back to the water without any guidance or map though.
It must work out OK because they are still here after all those millions of years.
Floodwaters you make a good point. The eastern painted turtles lay eggs way far from our lake. A distant lake neighbor had one lay eggs in her yard. She isn't lake front.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm sure they get frustrated when doogooders pick them up and return them to the water thinking they have lost their way. Nearly there and now I have to start all over again!
Our turtles don't bite and are neither aggressive or athletic. The main defense is to withdraw into the shell and emit a foul odor so anyone can pick one up and transport them. Maybe that's why your Aussie neighbor was not scared - Ignorance rather than bravery?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm sure they get frustrated when doogooders pick them up and return them to the water thinking they have lost their way. Nearly there and now I have to start all over again!
Our turtles don't bite and are neither aggressive or athletic. The main defense is to withdraw into the shell and emit a foul odor so anyone can pick one up and transport them. Maybe that's why your Aussie neighbor was not scared - Ignorance rather than bravery?
Actually, you research soft shell...it says for Ohio turtles these can get as aggressive as snappers. So...there is that. The Aussie never picked up the turtle. It put itself back in the lake. Maybe reread my post. 😉 leaving it in the middle of the road...yeah, that's wise. Whatever.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s what I was thinking. A female somehow got up here and laid eggs. This year I completely redid the pond area, I’m wondering if that’s why there’s only one. Maybe I damaged the other eggs and didn’t realize it.
A few years ago when we had flood level waters, I found a huge snapper in my boxwoods. I’m glad I saw it before I stuck my hand back in there LOL.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Actually, you research soft shell...it says for Ohio turtles these can get as aggressive as snappers. So...there is that. The Aussie never picked up the turtle. It put itself back in the lake. Maybe reread my post. 😉 leaving it in the middle of the road...yeah, that's wise. Whatever.
In my experience, soft shell turtles in general are usually foul tempered and readily bite. I have zero experience with the natives but understand their poor attitude is consistent regardless of species... lots of experience with snappers, though :) .

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've only noticed they try to leave if a person is spotted. But it appears you shouldn't mess with one. So the neighbor freaking when I got close to take a photo. Was not as crazy as I thought. This one I bet laid eggs somewhere. And tired was resting in the road. It didn't flea as they are usually known for.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When we lived on the farm in Stanley, WI.. a jump (i believe) river offshoot creek ran through our property and was the source of many a fond, childhood memory.. learning that you cannot domesticate crayfish... finding the black in the muddy waters.. ect.

One such memory (if it can serve correctly) was “feeding” carrot sticks to snappers... and being that close.. they aren’t trying to EAT the carrot, “*Schwartzaneggar*... they’re are trying to crush it!!”

Most turtles I’ve come across and reclusive and semi-grumpy..

I managed to get bit by a painted turtle last year.. it didnt break the skin.. but left a blood blister imprint in the form a beak.

Like when you get pecked by a turkey... similar “wounds”.

Thank you for sharing!

Top Bottom