A bit of a road block today...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm sure they get frustrated when doogooders pick them up and return them to the water thinking they have lost their way. Nearly there and now I have to start all over again!
Our turtles don't bite and are neither aggressive or athletic. The main defense is to withdraw into the shell and emit a foul odor so anyone can pick one up and transport them. Maybe that's why your Aussie neighbor was not scared - Ignorance rather than bravery?
I grew up playing with box turtles...different species. Always left them in the same spot they were found. Different species behave differently. For sure....

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm sure they get frustrated when doogooders pick them up and return them to the water thinking they have lost their way. Nearly there and now I have to start all over again!

This is what I‘ve considered, too.

I’m one of those guys that will back up vehicular traffic with my pedestrian body, giving them the time they need to get to their “intended” side of the road..

Someone threw garbage at me once.. for standing by a family of Geese until they could cross..

..one lone tear.

:)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When we lived on the farm in Stanley, WI.. a jump (i believe) river offshoot creek ran through our property and was the source of many a fond, childhood memory.. learning that you cannot domesticate crayfish... finding the black in the muddy waters.. ect.

One such memory (if it can serve correctly) was “feeding” carrot sticks to snappers... and being that close.. they aren’t trying to EAT the carrot, “*Schwartzaneggar*... they’re are trying to crush it!!”

Most turtles I’ve come across and reclusive and semi-grumpy..

I managed to get bit by a painted turtle last year.. it didnt break the skin.. but left a blood blister imprint in the form a beak.

Like when you get pecked by a turkey... similar “wounds”.

Thank you for sharing!
Thanks for sharing your own story. Love hearing how this thread is stiring memories.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Herptiles for LIFE! Here are my native turtles.... There’s also a fairly large salamander and newt population..(Just have to get “by” a whole bunch of bugs, invasive weeds first.... waders help, too)
31EEE10C-1041-43F0-8766-39B0FAA2EE83.png

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Herptiles for LIFE! Here are my native turtles.... There’s also a fairly large salamander and newt population..(Just have to get “by” a whole bunch of bugs, invasive weeds first.... waders help, too)
View attachment 311938
I am curious, if the ornate wood turtle is different than our pet Central American Ornate Wood Turtles we have had for twenty years.

Anyways I grew up playing with salamanders...last year, I spared one a fate of being a snakes dinner. Having a pet snake I know they won't eat if they feel threatened. So I grabbed the snakes tail. He had just struck the salamander, as I was watering my trees. So no real harm to it as of yet. Once I grabbed his tail he released it. So yeah, spared the salamander. Don't dine on my patio...they can sun themselves all they want.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
About 30 years ago I was the staff horticulturist for a large land developer in Northern Virginia. One of our projects was Fair Lakes including the shopping center. When the shopping center was being cleared I had the construction and clearing people bringing me snakes, lizards and dozens of turtles that I took to my home in Front Royal. I built a large pen for the turtles that measures about 20 x 20 feet and put all the turtles in it and planted a garden for them outside the pen. I would scoop up all my garden goods and feed them. Would also buy them night crawlers. Cantaloupe was their favorite. At summers end my wife and I took down the fence and sang Born Free (I know, I know) as the turtles headed off into the woods in all directions. To this day we have a healthy box turtle population. We also have 13 species of snakes and 7 species of lizards that we know of. That count was about 20 years back.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
About 30 years ago I was the staff horticulturist for a large land developer in Northern Virginia. One of our projects was Fair Lakes including the shopping center. When the shopping center was being cleared I had the construction and clearing people bringing me snakes, lizards and dozens of turtles that I took to my home in Front Royal. I built a large pen for the turtles that measures about 20 x 20 feet and put all the turtles in it and planted a garden for them outside the pen. I would scoop up all my garden goods and feed them. Would also buy them night crawlers. Cantaloupe was their favorite. At summers end my wife and I took down the fence and sang Born Free (I know, I know) as the turtles headed off into the woods in all directions. To this day we have a healthy box turtle population. We also have 13 species of snakes and 7 species of lizards that we know of. That count was about 20 years back.

😍

I wanted to “Love” this TWICE

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
3 very common, very venomous snakes and a couple of non lethal snakes and 2 turtle species in my area but a much wider range of lizards including several legless lizards that invariably get persecuted for looking like snakes.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I had to shoo this snapper back to the river at my last job once (I was one of the earlier people at the office). Scared the shit out of me.

View attachment 311863
View attachment 311864t wa
My Grandma used to fry them, then put it in the pressure cooker. I was Ok, kind of tasted like chicken.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My Grandma used to fry them, then put it in the pressure cooker. I was Ok, kind of tasted like chicken.
We ate turle soup from alligator snappers too. Grandpa always buried the heads. Which scared me. How much harm can a bodiless turtle do? But had it latched on to one of the pets...or us kids.

Top Bottom