A Blue Bill Buxus Built To Be a Broom

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
B9FA91CE-F365-4308-B3EC-DF122344B52D.jpegIt has filled out nicely. I wired all the secondary branches last August as I was worried I wouldn’t be able to bend them if I waited. I’m glad I did, they are stiff now. I’m going to leave cutting it back until the end of summer, maybe longer. When I do it will be as low as I think is prudent. Something along these lines. 34DCBB24-22B2-4B43-B2D4-E2D092B739D3.jpeg

It feels like it is taking forever for the branches to get into proportion and then I realize I am only going into my third growing season.

Top down6C43206A-87D5-43C9-949E-0113D1215C4C.jpeg

Back side
ECC4412B-79AB-417B-B241-408D817828E9.jpeg

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
A quick update

I repotted the buxus today. I trimmed it last summer and it just stopped growing. It is budding our beautifully now.

40369B1A-E220-4E70-9937-F51E4BED61FE.jpeg8590AA12-0280-4B6C-AFEB-BCE00AE71F67.jpeg

I repotted into a wider pot to let the roots grow further. It was pretty root bound. I guess I need to start thinking about a more appropriate pot for the next repot now that I am satisfied with the direction the nebari is going.

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice tree and great patience.

I’m new to bonsai, i got a boxwood from nursery this summer and just thinned it, now it’s back budding even at the base i think I’ll go for broom style.

May i ask what soil your using? Organic or synthetic fertilizers? And how much direct sun? Should i repot late summer or wait for spring.

Thank you

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice tree and great patience.

I’m new to bonsai, i got a boxwood from nursery this summer and just thinned it, now it’s back budding even at the base i think I’ll go for broom style.

May i ask what soil your using? Organic or synthetic fertilizers? And how much direct sun? Should i repot late summer or wait for spring.

Thank you
I am using 40% diatomaceous earth, 40 % (that light volanic rock... brain fart) and 20% organic soil. I use the cheapest fertilizer I can find. I was given a bunch of bags of fertilizer by people and have just mixed it all together. I feed at half strength every day or so after I water. I just don’t feed the trees that much. I give my boxwood as much sun as I can, from 9:30 to 6:00, give or take. I would wait until spring to repot, at least until you have a very good success rate repotting your trees. I Don’t think I’ve repotted a box mid summer, but if one of mine doesn’t start growing branches where I want them, I‘ll probably try a mid summer repot on it. Maybe next summer.

Reactions: YAN
Top Bottom